Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let talk chop saws and the blades we smoke

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am tired of the abrasive cutting blades for steel in my chop saw. They have too much deflection and when trying to make a 45* angle there is too much room for error. Sloppy joints.

Anyone have a metal blade like the Diablo etc? Are they any better?

2. noboD

noboD

Use a 6 inch Metabo thin blade, maybe .03, cutoff wheel in your 4 inch grinder. Cuts real fast and without heating the metal.

3. Fordors

Fordors

I buy name brand wheels at the big box store and have tried different brands. What I've found is they tend to glaze over and if you dress them with a silicon carbide dressing stick they will work like new again. When they are cutting easier you won't need so much pressure and you will have better results.
    Here’s one from Ace Hardware, don’t recall where I got mine but I know they can be had cheaper.
    IMG_0655.jpeg

67drake likes this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I know that the cold saws cut way slower. About 1/3 the speed of an abrasive wheel.

5. The cold saws make more precise cuts but the chips are really nasty. Gotta wear protection.
    I rarely use my chop saw anymore. Angle grinder is more handy.

Roothawg likes this.
  6. SS327

SS327

I buy the hood chop saw blades at the welding supply store and they cut like butter. Minimal deflection.

Roothawg likes this.
  7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

My brother bought a new Evolution chop saw. I was impressed with the "stock" blade that came with it. Very clean cuts, much nicer than my Milwaukee w the old abrasive blade.
    Screenshot_20240417_191049_Chrome.jpg

Roothawg and RMR&C like this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's the one I was looking at.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

we had one of these dewalt cold saws at work. they run at 1300 rpms, the blades are made to somehow transfer the heat to the chips keeping the part cool. they make very very nice cuts. with that said the blades cost over 100 bucks and they will make about 250 cuts.. we used it for years and it worked great but it is EXTREMELY loud and I am convinced that being in the shop with that machine is the reason my ears ring so loud. please wear ear plugs and muffs when running one
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...o0GLTe4GkeN3RAILe3eQuL4n6gJwuimBn_0auHOm_RkdI

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    Fordors likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's true Mark, they are loud. We have one at work that has a liquid cooler that sprays on the parts, but then you have to constantly change the fluid, because it becomes contaminated. I am too lazy for that.

SS327 likes this.
  11. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, RH;
    How or what contaminates the cutting/cooling fluid? Wouldn't a filter take out the metal dust/chips, & other shop dirt? Or does it just go bad somehow from being an organic compound? IDK, which is why I'm asking. I'm guessing everything available, including using nothing, has its' drawbacks...

As for cutters, Bad Dog cutters work well, have a lifetime guarantee, are rather aggressive. I've used the carborundum & black reinforced stuff(both cheap & expensive versions) that burns thru creating copious amounts of dust/filth, carbide-toothed(some very expensive, some cheap) cutters that throw chips everywhere, & then the BD discs. They are mostly solid, w/diamond(I think - or something like it anyways) dust impregnated into/onto the blade outer circumference, & also in patterns on each side of the flats. They say the way the grit is infused onto the discs is what makes the difference. They do burn thru metal, but not like the black discs. & don't get eaten up. But they are aggressive - spun the 4"grinder outta my hands when I didn't have a death-grip on it. Almost ate my leg, jeans stopped it(got woundup into the safety-cover) - thankfully. I've used the 4" as a cutter(on edge) & as a grinder(on the flats), as the discs are designed to do both things. Will cut near anything, but wood - but they have a cutter for that. These are not cheap at all, bought mine at Btt50's last yr, but I don't regret spending the $$$(cough...!). They don't replace every-thing/every-cutter all the time, but durn-near-close. I don't get anything for these comments, & the guy who sold me the stack of different-sized discs wouldn't know me if he saw me(but the wife did get a t-shirt outta the sale... :D ). So, they are worth your time to investigate/research - you *could do worse*...
    FWIW.
    Marcus...
    Forgot to mention - they're used dry.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, the way ours works, it has a catch pan for the cooling fluid. The chips and all of the pieces end up in there. You have to clean it pretty regularly or it will get stopped up.

13. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, RH;
    Thanks. Kinda figured that but...
    I get the swarf issue, does the coolant go actually go bad? I've heard/read the non-oil stuff does. But no-one ever says why, or what causes it to go bad. Maybe bacteria? IDK.
    Marcus...

14. noboD

noboD

It will go rancid.

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

I dunno. I don't actually work in that area. I have a buddy that does, he was always complaining about it. I'll ask the next time I see him.