Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured I Kept Receipts...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 16, 2024.

1. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The Highlander has a good point, what's printed is pretty much sure to survive. Who knows if this internet stuff will still be here in the coming years and decades.

2. So just how long of a time frame has it been from #84 to #86, seeing some have stated they had never gotten #85 ?

3. I'm still waiting. HRP

4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So this is a question for @Ryan, at least as it pertains to this great site
    How about it Boss? The wealth of info here going back to first generation hot rodders is breathtaking. If the server power bill goes unpaid, where does it all go? Could it come down to an auction for all the TJJ servers?
    Or maybe they end up in a museum?
    What happens when Ryan goes to the other side?
    Interesting question.

Outback and Beanscoot like this.
  5. I can offer what little I know as it pertains to the '54 Ford club of America which I was the Administrator and The site Tom Hoskins started, after Tom.s demise Don owned the site but lost interest, I couldn't;t afford the cost of continuing a site fewer people were willing to support so I did the logical thing and let the site die a quick death.

With the '54 Ford Club of America the site showed up for a while until the money ran out, there are many threads that still appear in Google searches but when trying to access this is what you get,

This page isn’t working
    forums.aaca.org is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

Obviously, the information is gone, never to be seen again. HRP

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Say it ain't so @Ryan !

7. Flathead47

Flathead47
    from ontario

I kept my receipts, will see if it was enough.
    Got the e-mail saying #84 & #85 were on the way in July. When I did not receive them by late September reached out to TRJ and was told not a subscriber , had to prove I was. That was easy I had kept my receipt. Was informed they would send me #84 & #85 with #86 when it comes out.
    Got the e-mail about #86 so hoping all three are on the way.
    Not complaining as I have supported TRJ from day one. I have all the other issues in my collection just want it complete …. It has always been the best read on the market.

Budget36 and saltracer219 like this.
  8. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Super stoked to see it's back and I can't wait to gt my copy in the mail. I've moved since the last issue so hopefully they got my new address in time for the shipping!

9. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those of you who don't have a subscription and want a copy of #86, according to this it's in stock at Autobooks-Aerobooks in Burbank CA:
    The Rodder's Journal #86 C - Autobooks-Aerobooks
    Not really sure about the status of my own subscription but I don't care, I want that sucker - mainly for the article about Pat Ganahl. So I just ordered a copy of cover "C" with that bitchin' '40 delivery on the cover. Can't wait!
    Get 'em before they're sold out! :cool:

Cali4niaCruiser and hotrodA like this.
  10. anyone in Illinois get one yet?

11. Per Steve Coonan;

#86 is at the mailing house. Should leave shortly, but Periodical Permit mail takes awhile.

saltracer219 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm waiting to find out when my scrip runs out, and when or if I can renew when it does. I'm sure I'm in a long line waiting for an answer. Worth the wait.

saltracer219 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Thanks @TerrytheK for the tip.
    They have them and one is on order.
    Just in case……..

14. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

subscribed five years ago and have received one issue...

Last edited: May 3, 2024 at 6:10 PM
  15. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Thanks! I figured they would eventually have it available, I just placed my order.

16. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would be willing to forget about whatever I had coming to in the past and am willing to start a new paid subscription starting right now. No hard feelings. Trying to keep servicing "lifetime subscriptions" was a bad business decision. I am willing to forget what I may or may not have coming and will gladly pay whatever it takes to continue publishing the best ever traditional hot rod magazine.

lothiandon1940 and Outback like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Been a few weeks anyone get one yet? I’ve only seen people who are in the issue or are friends with him get a copy? Even then it’s been like two or three people?

18. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

It actually comes as a surprise that COVID took such a toll on TRJ. I would've thought readership would indeed increase, but knowing nothing about the publishing industry, I imagine that the lockdowns negatively impacted the ability to publish, on a large scale.

As a small business owner, COVID actually impacted me very little as I was able to classify my metal shaping company as "automotive" and fell under the "essential worker" guidelines. Plus, I have no employees, so that saved my neck as well when the powers that be found out it is more of a niche, luxury type of business.

Now, the last year on the other hand, has been a personal test of resiliance, perserverance, and tenacity on a level very seldom seen by most human beings. In one year, and continuing, life has thrown me a succession of events that either most people may experience over an entire lifetime, never at all, or leads to the deletion of many who do go through such difficulty in succession.

The time leading up to January '23 saw me witnessing my wife actively destroying our family and marriage, including trying to murder me. As 2023 came into existence, my efforts to save it were proven futile as I was removed from my home and shop with a no-contact order, accompanied by divorce papers. What followed has been the most difficult and sad thing to ever happen to me: I lost my marriage and my family, I lost my home and everything I had ever worked to achieve over a lifetime, I was forced to work the year nearly for free, I almost lost my business, the desire to delete myself from existence was at the forefront of my thoughts daily, and now, I am currently down with a shattered leg I recieved while rollerskating with my eight year old daughter, while reentering litigation with my ex wife for defaulting on the divorce and settlement orders and stealing and destroying property of mine. There is so much more that tried to break me, those are just the highlights. But, I have never given up on anything in life and I'm not stopping now.

I'm not exactly sure why I decided to trauma-dump this here, but it seems similar, possibly, to what Ryan and Steve experienced. While people were barking at me to finish projects for them, it was all I could do to survive, to even feed myself. I felt almost no empathy or sympathy for my situation and it just felt selfish on their part, to hassle me near daily and never even once ask questions. In particular, "Is everything okay?"

I suppose what I am trying to say is that I think I truly understand the above article, and empathize with Ryan and Steve on a deep level. To those who understood their situation, thank you. It had no effect on me, but the world simply needs those type of people to be the dominant population and it is sadly the opposite. The ones who remained on their side have no idea what that means to them and you guys are saints. To the people who only pissed and moaned, I guarantee never asked questions or even a simple "how you doin," only thought about their own satisfaction and desire, fuck you. People like that have been, and are continuing to become the prevailant, driving force in today's society and are, simply put, selfish, no good humans.

My appolegies for taking over this thread, but we never know what people are going through in any given situation. Take the time to think and realize that just because you have it a certain way, not everybody else does. Some better, and many worse. Some, much, much worse. We are all human beings sharing one planet as the same home. We should treat it accordingly and work together as much as we possibly can...

Tirade over.

tractorguy likes this.
  19. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

An example was provided regarding an issue, then he offered remedy said issue, to do the proofreading for free. A very solid move, man. Get off your high-horse and recognize the empathy. I bet you're one of those types that doesn't do shit unless there's personal gain it it for yourself...

20. saltracer219

saltracer219

WOW! sorry I offended you, it was meant to be all in fun! We jab each other from time to time on here. I am sorry that you are having such a trying time in your life, put your faith in the big guy and forge ahead, wishing all the best for you. Oh, and by the way....you'd lose that bet!

21. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

No, you didn't offend me. There is a lot lost in translation in written vs. spoken word. I did not pick up on your sarcasm, plain and simple. I AM glad you took my criticism without turning into a whiney bitch, like most people do on the interwebs. Thanks for being able to communicate like an adult man. Simply put, social media has ruined it for me when it comes to interacting with people over an elecronic discussion.
    While I am indeed having a trying time in my life, I put that out there as nothing more than a tangable example for people to see that have a difficult time seeing past their own noses when it comes to considering the situations of others. My brother is like that, and when I put a solid example out for him, it helps him understand that what he thinks might be reality, oftentimes is not. So, that is all that is for. I couldn't care less about pity or opinions. I am literally trying to help others understand the situation of TRJ.

Thanks.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.