Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Limco Paint (budget build) ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Recently called local paint supplier to get prices for two paint colors. He asked my budget, I said " not much". So he looked up the paints and told me & 66.50 a quart/ and $266.00 a gallon. Far cheaper than I was ecpecting. The paint is Limco. He said it an R&M paint. He also told me to use a better grade of clear coat, and it would be fine.
    Those prices are paint only. The gallon size = 2 gallons srayable paint.
    What your view on Limco/ R&M paint as long as I use a better clearcoat.?
    Like most old car , it will be garaged 99 percent of the time.
    As for the amout of paint needed ? I doing a two tone color change, Engine bay, 4 door jambs, tailgate jamb. in the lower color. And the roof in the other color. Should a two gallons of sprayable paint be enough for the lower car ?
    Added pictiure of car...the paint colors will be Cordovan (Burgundy)lower body... Roof Rosewood

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Sharpone likes this.
  2. 3  32's 002.jpg 3  32's 003.jpg Have used it for years ( single stage) urethane. Sprays nice, lays done with right reducer. These was shot over 10 years ago and all still look good

3. It’s as good as any other mid shelf paint.
    I agree with the guys recommendation on not using the cheapest clear offered.
    I’ve shot a lot of the cheapest clear available. But mostly for training purposes.
    Got two OT cars we painted the fronts clips on.
    The higher end Deltron clear made it 10 years sitting outside, no maintenance other than washing.
    The other one got cheap store brand clear. Made it about 5 years before starting to show sun issues.

Sharpone likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know if I've ever used Limco basecoat, but I have a car done in Limco acrylic enamel that still looks great after 20 years, I love that stuff. I would guess their basecoat is just as good.

I asked a friend of mine who is a very good bodyman what to get for clearcoat on a budget and he told me to get it from Napa, I think it's called ACME but it is whatever Napa's own line was. Very reasonable price and I was super impressed with it, it laid out really well and I didn't have any issues with it, even through a $15 HF purple gun. I'd definitely use that stuff again.

Algoma56 and Sharpone like this.

5. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Thanks for the replys. It good to hear that Limco is a decent paint for a guy on a budget.

Sharpone likes this.
  6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Never tried that brand but another mid brand I like is Nason, our local Napa sells it here. Might check to see if your local Napa carries it too and compare prices...

Sharpone and duecesteve like this.
  7. Damon777

Damon777

O'reilly carries Nason in my neck of the woods.

Sharpone likes this.
  8. I had Limco on my blue 64 wagon, the paint was great and lasted over 10 years-still going actually, I would make sure to have a proper cleaning of the base (for good adhesion) and primer and you should be good. Also keep extra or have an extra quart for touch up. I had a section touched up (8 years later) in metallic and was not even noticeable.
    Mooneyes has my wagonand the paint is finall showing age and it sit out under covered most of the time.

Sharpone likes this.
  9. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I shot Limco Supreme (pinkie out for the Supreme) Base/Clear on my old '39. What you are looking at is a disposable camera pic of the spot where I accidentally drug my shirt through the last coat of clear. Sanded and polished just fine.

39fender.JPG

-Abone.

vtx1800, Sharpone, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  10. I used Limco base/clear (although I honestly don’t remember what clear) on a vette years ago when I was trying to do it on a budget compared to the Sikkens products I normally used. It seemed to spray fine and hold up well at least while I owned it. It also sanded and buffed easy if I remember right.

Sharpone, Squablow and alanp561 like this.
  11. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Thanks guys. In my world and maybe yours also $400-$600 a gallon paint is not an option. The more you dump into these cars, you start to ask yorself at what point does it stop. And the money saved on paint and materials can be spent on other things carpet, wheather stripping etc. This is the last build. Just can't / or want to do this anymore. Would be nice to just enjoy the car, and except it for what it is.

12. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Premium clear is not cheap just shy of a grand a gallon you would be just fine with a Nason our similar brand of clear.

Sharpone likes this.
  13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The low cost base coat brand color's don’t cover as well as the top of the line base coat’s. A similar color sealer will help with color and help save on materials.

Algoma56, Sharpone and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

I've also used Nason clear and it was pretty good as well. I think I liked the Napa store brand a bit better, but I wouldn't turn down Nason either.

And as Oldiron 440 said above, coverage with the lower end paints is an issue. Back in my body shop days, if we were painting a car blue, we'd take all of the leftover blue basecoats, mix them together and spray that on as a first "base" coat, that really helped with coverage once we'd cracked into the fresh paint in the correct color. It was a good way to use up old paint and minimize how much new product you had to buy to do the job.

37 caddy, vtx1800, lostone and 2 others like this.