Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 400 SBC Starter Issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miltstrk, Apr 25, 2024.

1. miltstrk

miltstrk

Starter on our 1955 Bel Air with 400 SB is not engaging the flywheel about half the time after the car has been sitting. It will engage the second try. I had the starter rebuilt after looking at it and finding out its a Delco starter that belongs to this 400 engine. After re-installing, it still doesn't engage the first time after its been sitting. I used the same bolts as came with the car as built, no idea if they are correct. The car starts immediately after the second key turn, a testament to the way I have the dizzy set or sheer good luck!?
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to fix this, step-by-step?
    I started on the path to fix this after Thanksgiving. In this quest, I uncovered the need to fix the exhaust donuts, collector studs, spark plugs and wires, front brakes, many +60 year old wires!

2. SS327

SS327

Add some shims to the starter?

3. squirrel

squirrel

Before adding shims, you might want to do some checking, to see what it might need.

The correct bolts have a knurled area at the place where the block meets the starter housing.

To see if it needs to have the shims adjusted, you can check the clearance between the flywheel teeth and the starter shaft. The outer edge of the teeth should be 1/8" away from the shaft. Check it by inserting a 1/8" allen wrench between the gear and the shaft. If it won't fit, you need a shim across both bolt holes. If it fits, and you can twist it, then you need a shim across the outer bolt hole only, to push the starter closer to the gear. If the wrench fits and won't turn, then it's already perfect, and there's some other problem.

pictures of what you have always help.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We need more info to give a correct answer.
    Exactly what happens when you hit start on the switch the first time?
    Can hear the starter spin but drive doesn't engage the ring gear?
    Nothing but a click
    Nothing at all, I don't hear anything.

Tow Truck Tom and 427 sleeper like this.

5. ....Great info there, Jim.

Desoto291Hemi and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  6. Having not really been given enough information I'll take a guess ... first turn of the key you hear the starter spinning but the engine isn't turning. Second turn of the key and the engine spins and starts. IF that is correct, I'd say your armature isn't jumping out on the first turn of the key. What you hear is the starter gear spinning but the starter ain't "reaching" for the flywheel/flex plate.

I'd take the starter apart and give it a good cleaning while assessing its condition. If not capable, buy a new starter.

Tow Truck Tom and 42merc like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The OT ford truck with a 300 six has started doing something similar and I am thinking that the starter bushings are getting a bit worn. Hopefully It works until I get something else running and driving as I don't want to have to drive my lawn mower to the parts house for a starter.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Put a new Bendix drive in it , yours is sticking/ dirty /damaged/ Worn out ,pick a condition ....or just get a replacement starter assembly , most places quit " repairing"( bushings , brushes , Bendix , solenoid ) them 30 , 40 years ago .

9. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

This is the second time that I have seen Squirrel post this valuable tip.
    First time. I thought this guy is the real deal.
    His info is always spot on.
    His use of manuals unequaled. ( Bullseye )
    Not to discount that many, many here come up with some richly valuable info.
    Thank You all.

lothiandon1940 and Desoto291Hemi like this.