Register now to get rid of these ads!

History One Worth Replicating: The Chrysler Norseman Concept by Ghia

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

One Worth Replicating: The Chrysler Norseman Concept by Ghia

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

40two, chevy57dude, Gasser 57 and 5 others like this.
  2. SS327

SS327

Marty Martino had completed the fiberglass body last I saw pictures of. I know of no surviving engineering drawings. Chrysler said at the time of the sinking though it was fully insured it would take too long to replicate it. Thus would look outdated if another one was to be built. That’s why Chrysler never had it replicated. I myself think it was a damned shame they didn’t. I don’t think it would have looked dated at all.

HEMI32 and Snicklefritz65 like this.
  3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

"Great, one of my cars went down in a big famous shipwreck."
    -Virgil Exner

Minichamps has a really nice 1:18 Norseman.

[​IMG]

40two, chevy57dude, autobilly and 8 others like this.
  4. 50,000 man hours!

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

A good chunk of that time went into building the body buck, wonder if that was kept of turned into firewood?

6. like many i long admired this car and immediately upon reading about its fate those many years ago i wished someone would build a replica. i'm kinda surprised ghia didn't have drawings but then again... the italians. anyway, i suspect there were at least for a time some drawings in their files.

7. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

One of my favorite " dream cars", ever since reading that old Motor Trend article on missing vehicles. The '58 Chrysler D'Elegance kind of favors it, front end wise.

Attached Files:

8. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

While the Norseman is much more stylish, I've always felt like whoever designed the Rambler Marlin must've been inspired by the Norseman's roofline.[​IMG]

40two, 283john, Bdamfino and 8 others like this.
  9. Spooky

Spooky

That was my first thought, as well.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That pic of Super Mario with his white tank top rules!

11. SS327

SS327

It amazes me that with the number of dives that have taken place on that wreck nobody has come back with a picture. Many have looked for it, but no one has seen it.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  12. Just because a TJJ Blog (and its resultant H.A.M.B. thread) can never have too many pics :D:

1956 Chrysler Norseman 3-4 Front (Imbued with Hues).jpg
    1956 Chrysler Norseman 3-4 Rear (Imbued with Hues).jpg
    Colorized photos (by Imbued with Hues)

1956 Chrysler Norseman Interior (1).jpg
    1956 Chrysler Norseman Interior (2).jpg
    1956 Chrysler Norseman Interior (3).jpg
    Interior photos

1956 Chrysler Norseman Wooden Buck At Ghia (crop).jpg
    another photo of the buck

Marty Martino's Chrysler Norseman re-creation (1).jpg
    Marty Martino's Chrysler Norseman re-creation (2).jpg
    Marty Martino's Chrysler Norseman re-creation (3).jpg
    the (circa 2004) photos of Marty Martino's fiberglass recreation

1956 Chrysler Norseman Artwork (1).jpg
    1956 Chrysler Norseman Artwork (1).gif
    1956 Chrysler Norseman Artwork (2).jpg
    1956 Chrysler Norseman Artwork (3).jpg
    1956 Chrysler Norseman Artwork (4).jpg
    1956 Chrysler Norseman Artwork (5).jpg
    artwork

13. Ziggster

Ziggster

Very interesting design. Had never heard or seen of it before. Damn shame what happened to it. Would seem the 66-67 Charger picked up on some of the design cues.
    In the second last pic that @Jive-Bomber posted, it looks like kids working in the background. Lol!

14. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Any idea how the headlights opened? Did they rotate or flip? Oddly, until really studying it, I thought they were like Wood lights.......

40two likes this.
  15. SS327

SS327

67 Pontiac Bonneville full size hubcaps are almost a dead ringer!

16. SR100

SR100

50,000 hours smells like hype to me. 50 workers full time for half a year? 10-20K seems more realistic.

17. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The styling of the car looks three to five years ahead of GM and Ford . Whose cars in 1956 were still large , rounded and tall . Thank You for sharing JB

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

One of the advantages of the Italian custom body shops was that they could work from a few perspective drawings, they did not require complete blueprints. This used to be common in the custom body world but by that time, all the old line custom body shops in the US were long gone. What Chrysler provided I don't know but it is possible they sent over a handful of stylists renderings and they took it from there.

Another advantage was cost. They could do the work for a fraction of what it cost for union labor in Detroit.

In other words the design work was done in Detroit the execution in Italy. It is a mistake to give design credit to Ghia for work they did not do. I don't know if Chrysler has any of the original drawings but doubt it, especially since Chrysler has changed hands so many times since then.

Snicklefritz65 likes this.
  19. it may likey be the rule as you suggest that the italians worked typically from the most basic of drafted designs but i recall reading about at least one company whose name i can't recall had managed to hold on to many of their drawings that seemed detailed enough from what i saw. still, i'm no designer and i'm going from vague memory so maybe they were more rough than anything.

interesting point you made about the cost benefit being a factor going to italy. coach building was still healthy there and labor much cheaper.