Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Short vs Long water pumps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, Nov 23, 2009.

1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

rEVERSE FLOW sbc PUMP.jpg
    Reverse flow (above), standard flow (below). Different impellors
    sTANDARD FLOW sbc PUMP.jpg

2. aaggie

aaggie

Just a hint for maybe someone that is wondering if they have a short or long pump. If the timing cover almost touches the back of the pump it is short. If you can almost stick your finger between the cover and pump it is long. Handy to know if you are looking under hoods at a junk yard.

3. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Where did the upper bracket attach?

4. 52lomofo

52lomofo

thanks PPrather thats what im looking for guess i could use some spacers to work with long water pump

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yep, the timing tabs moved around (along with the balancer groove) with the long pumps too.
    When you have a basic engine used for decades that is "the same", there often are still a bunch of small differences.

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I went with a short pump on my SBC in my '39 and the old pulley worked great. I bought the pump new, but don't recall what the application was as I just searched "short water pump SBC". I only have one accessory, the alternator, so no double pulleys, or issues lining it up. I used a chrome adjustable alternator/gen. bracket that slides back and forth and bolts together to hold the placement. It straddles #1 exhaust tube on my headers.

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If you are going to run a blower, I would get the blower and mount it on your engine before trying to decide what pulleys and pump you need. The blower may dictate what you have to use......maybe/maybe not. Not so much of a problem here in the US where the parts are more common, but in your location it's probably more costly.

I saw an episode of Bitichin Rides where they had a tool that was used to send a lazer beam from one pulley to another, so they could get them aligned properly. The tool was quite expensive. Digging a little further I found that there is a lazer tool for bore sighting guns. It's shaped like a bullet and I plan to lay it in a pulley groove and point it at the other pulleys to get them spaced properly. I'm adapting a blower to a Cad engine and all the pulley locations will be custom because I'm using a fluid filled balancer and a crank trigger. I'd get the blower in position first and see what you need to make everything work spacingwise.

Go to Amazon and search for Lazer bore sight..........

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  8. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

I always go short for extra room. Of course the only accessory I ever run is the alternator lol

9. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

PXL_20240426_183558565.jpg PXL_20240426_183545784.jpg Decided on the short style, clearance decided it really!! Bought an old 265 from a 57 Chevy truck complete with all pulleys and generator. Made it easy!! Even have the original 6 blade steel fan, cut it down and balanced it on my tire bubble balancer. So far she stays at 180 degrees all the time. Free catch can. Shroud helps a ton. Plus with the short pump, you can always add a spacer or two between the water pump pulley and the fan to get the fan in the sweet spot!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
  10. I think that 72 Chev pickup alternator bracket is for long water pump.
    The short pump had been phased out in the late 60's.

11. Wayne3207

Wayne3207
    from WestTN

My 72 Chevy truck came from the factory with a short water pump.

12. I stand corrected. Thanks.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a circle track fan shroud kit turned verticle. Did one like it on my son’s 40 Chevrolet. I think it cam from summit or speedway.

14. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I think it was Speedway. I modified the ring so I can remove the ring first, that makes getting the fan out first a piece of cake.

15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

My 72 also has short pump.
    I'm more interested in the fact it runs 180 at the t stat housing. Mine runs 140 there and 175 at the head.
    I guess aluminum heads make a big difference. I don't run a fan or shroud. 334946226_765356218442145_1178234960448717027_n.jpg

Splitbudaba and The Chevy Pope like this.