Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Buick Drums on Ford Backing Plates when did it start?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert J. Palmer, Feb 4, 2024.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm with hotdamn, I can't remember seeing a actual built 58-64 hot rod with them either. Dirt track yes but not hot rods. Also as stated above I don't remember seeing it as a hot rod "standard" (like muli carbs, headers etc) until mid 70's or so as far as not somewhat uncommon.

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Probably in the case of the above car, probably wheel spacers or adaptors to push the wheels outboard to clear the drums. Most 15" wheels will not clear the fins.

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It seems like one more topic to argue endlessly about is all. They look great. They work well. They were readily available in the late 50's and early 60's, racers used them, guys have always used stuff racers use in order to look fast and cool. The popularity of "gasser" style cars on the street now is no different. Not done until the 60's. Race cars only. People want to re-create that look. Same with Buick brake drums.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Buick started using them in 1957 to combat brake fade. This was quite a problem with heavy, powerful cars with drum brakes. Finned aluminum brake drums dissipate heat faster than a cast iron drum.
    Racers quickly adopted them for the same reason. Max Balchowski used Chrysler Centerplane brakes with Buick drums on his Ol Yeller race car, I think he may have been the first.
    Who had them first, and when they started to show up on the street, may be lost in the mists of time.

Incidentally Buick only used the aluminum drums on the front wheels, they had conventional cast iron on the back.

5. hotdamn

hotdamn

my man, you seem to fill in a lot of blanks with your thoughts here...

I dont think anyone is arguing endlessly over anything and certainly no one is debating their look or effectiveness. just curious thats all.

calm down :)

Bugguts likes this.
  6. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I went that route on my build. Turned out great as well as good stopping power. I also bought a set of John's Industries finned drums for the Ford drum brakes on my quick change. 15" torque thrusts fit perfectly. That makes them match front and back. Love the look.

Attached Files:

The37Kid and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  7. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

That there, is the why for the drum.
    The reason for the why not the backing plate and shoes is easy to imagine.
    Less ( a lot less ) work. Just to just change a front drum.
    Money source for hot rodders ( disposable income ) was not as broad as today.
    Often the rod was the only possesion. ( typically we didn't even have money for insurance )
    And the look mattered as much as conquering heat fade.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    The37Kid and Splitbudaba like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Wilhelms wild dream, built in 63 had em....

Joe-wilhelm-wild-dream2.jpg

9. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Didn't the car on the "Little Duece Coupe" album cover have them?

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that had Kinmonts

Tow Truck Tom and seb fontana like this.
  11. deucemac

deucemac

I am running a set of them on my avatar roadster. I used Wilson Welding hubs. '50 F2. Backing plates that allowed me used bendix type shoes. Brake shoes set #33 work perfect, I used '69 F250 wheel cylinders which gave me double sided wheel cylinders that bolted on. I run standard brake rturn springs and adjusters. However, should you want self adjusters 1970 full size GM station wagon rear kits will do the job. When using this combination, I had to slightly narrow the Buick drum width and increase the depth of the groove for the backing plate lip, both easy and quick to do. The car has been on the road since 2009 without any wear or pull problem. I bought the F2 backing plates for $30. They are basically the same as the high dollar Lincoln repop unit being sold, but at a fraction of the price. I chromed mine which added to the cost, but I like the look. I have a Ford 9inch in the rear with 11x2 1/2 shoes and 74 E200 drums. The E200 was a light 3/4 ton van that used heavy duty half ton components. I happened upon one in a boneyard and grabbed the drum (the other one was missing, which bought a replacement at the local NAPA store. They look good and haul my 2100 lb. hemi powered roadster down to a smooth stop quickly and look pretty darn good at the same time!

deuceman32, Tow Truck Tom and Baumi like this.
  12. 37_Ford

37_Ford
    from Illinois

Modified 37 Spindles, Wilson backing plates, Lincoln Brakes, wire wheels used on my 29 roadster. Work really well and starts a lot of conversations IMG_5326.png

IMG_5324.jpeg

deuceman32 and Tow Truck Tom like this.