Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think that’s called a tulip panel or referred to as the catwalk sometimes? Sounds like a good plan :)

2. RodStRace

RodStRace

Run the fuel line and exhaust if possible before the body drop.
    The fewer things you have to do laying under it, the better.
    I'd even suggest firing it up before swapping the body. There's always something that needs a little fiddling to make right. Get a chunk of plywood to fill in as the floor and firewall so you can try out the clutch and brakes.Get it as close to a fully sorted running chassis as possible before tearing version 1.5 apart.
    EXAMPLE :D
    [​IMG]

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Needs a web chair to be traditional:cool: 2022301773-2T.jpg

4. Nobey

Nobey

Just wanted to tell you how nice the frame looks Joey, before I get Blocked again......

winduptoy, ric and Six Ball like this.
  5. NealinCA

NealinCA

J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  6. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Joey; if you make it down here Sunday please look me up. Would be a pleasure to meet you. I’ll be running around there somewhere. Just ask one of the PRC guys. In the morning I’ll be parking cars. IMG_2504.jpeg

ZerroHalfcup, rod1, Nobey and 3 others like this.
  7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I knew there was a name for that! It reminds me of when I was writing about Chuck Gauge's Model A roadster pickup for TRJ #73 and I couldn't for the life of me think of the name for that piece of wood that wraps around the rear of the interior. I actually called up Brookville to ask them. "Tack strip!" they replied. It's stuck with me ever since.
    Chuck-gage-1928-ford.jpg

Hahah I love it. Good advice. That said, we'll be doing a little bit of put it together/take it apart before I fire it up again. We still need to disassemble it to finish weld some pieces on the bottom side of the frame and rear axle.

I have a pair of those that I bought at an estate sale during my first year in California. My roommate and I actually played the owners in a game of darts to lower the price, but we lost (barely) and had to pay in full. During Covid, we tuned up our dart skills to make sure that never happens again.

Thank you! We want you to stick around!

Hey Mike! I should have checked the thread before jumping into the action. What a fun day in Pasadena.

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I was planning on just using a rubber hose to extend the top fill on the other tank into the tulip panel, but this looks like it could allow a little more flexibility if I could get the hose at the right angle.

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My birthday is coming up, so my girlfriend Gen and I celebrated with a trip to LA. I'm going to be sharing my full coverage from Pasadena on The Jalopy Journal, but I'll include a few highlights here.
    IMG_1991.jpg
    First stop>>>Randy's in Inglewood before Gen's flight landed. My choices? Chocolate old fashioned and cherry iced cake.
    IMG_2035.jpg
    San Francisco is home, but I've always loved Southern California. The sun, the food, the landscape, everything.
    IMG_2025.jpg

10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_2097.jpg
    Sunday morning, we woke up early and headed towards the Elks lodge. My face actually hurt from smiling as I caught up with old friends, soaked up the sun, and showed Gen some of my favorite machines in the lot. IMG_2063.jpg
    It doesn't get much better!
    IMG_8868.jpg
    Naturally, I took a bunch of pictures—including a handful on my new-to-me Nikon F2. I'm dropping off the film this week, so stay tuned for shots from here and the G.W.H.S. car show in a future article.

11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

IMG_2100.jpg
    With any luck, I'll be there next year with Version 2.0.

12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The past two days have been busy back at home, but I made a little bit of progress tonight.
    IMG_2174.jpg
    I hit the dashboard with a little bit of self-etching primer, and then painted the inside cove white. Once everything dries, I'll do some detailing and mount my SW gauge panel. IMG_2176.jpg
    The big news, however, is that my mom is in town from Michigan! Her flight got in after dark, but that didn't stop us from taking the roadster out for a spin. From the Cliff House to Clement Street, we had a blast buzzing around the empty streets on a cool San Francisco night.

And that's all for tonight. We have some more big updates, small updates, and updates that land somewhere in between on the horizon. Thank you everyone for coming along for the ride!

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Can’t beat a neon glow night shot :) sounds like things are ramping up!

14. RodStRace

RodStRace

paint the back of the dash White, too. Makes the look up from the floor trying to pick out wire colors easier.

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Make sure you bolt the chair down. When I put the Olds in my '38 coupe in '62 I threw in a folding chair for a test run. Got on it and ended up in the trunk! luckily died and stopped before I ran into to over anything. Last week I drove by the old place in Concord where it all happen 62 years ago. The little garage has handled the time better than me.
    100_2260.jpg

16. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @J.Ukrop
    Good for you, Retro, Wizard Photo King!
    The era of traditional film photography isn't completely dead!
    Congratulations on the ultra cool vintage Nikon F-2.
    The snazzy, rarely seen black, high top P.F. Flyers, are a blast from the past as well!

Swifty Flyer.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2024 at 2:22 PM
  17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

They sure are! And I love the Balboa Theatre. Their sign is getting some restoration work done on it this week, too.

Great tip. I'll make sure to do that!

Hahahahh the exact same thing happened to us on the first test run of this car out on Turk Street. We just had the bus seat resting on a piece of plywood. As you can imagine, it didn't stay on the riser long!

That's so cool that the garage still stands. Next time you're in town, you should come by my place for a ride in the roadster!

Thank you, Dennis! The film got dropped off today, so hopefully we'll see how it all turned out by the end of the week. And P.F. Flyers are my all-time favorite shoes—especially for driving vintage tin.

18. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone remember Red Ball Jets tennis sneakers?

41 GMC K-18, warbird1 and winduptoy like this.
  19. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

" Next time you're in town, you should come by my place for a ride in the roadster!"
    You're on!
    That is a great picture of Roadster Mama out terrorizing The City after dark!

J.Ukrop and Outback like this.
  21. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure do remember those cool shoes !

red ball jets.jpg

warbird1, J.Ukrop and 51504bat like this.
  22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My first ones were Hoods with the patch said HOOD with an arrow through it. Hood made rubber shoes before they made tires.

J.Ukrop and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  23. My brother had three teenage boys in highschool at the same time. All arguments about who's turn it was for chores was settled on the dart board. High dart won the argument. Needless to say, being good at darts is handy around my brother's house.

Six Ball, J.Ukrop and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sidebar 501: Paused

In the past three and a half years, we've been through a lot on this thread. Bent frames, stuck motors, bad drums, broken rears, chipped gears, plus plenty more that I've conveniently blocked from my memory. Every one of those challenges seemed huge at the time but, looking back, they helped move me one step closer to being on the road.

Well, last week I took on a challenge that we haven't seen yet in this thread. And it's not with the car—it's with me. On May 1st I had knee surgery. It was something that needed to be done, but that doesn't make it any easier. This is my third one, but first one in a long time.

Four days after the fact, I'm remembering how long of a road I have ahead of me. Ice. Elevate. Try to crutch around. Then hobble around. I'm off work until Wednesday, so I have some time to try to relax. Then it's WFH.

"All this rest is making me restless," I said to one of my friends on Friday. It's true. I don't ever sit around. I'm extremely grateful that my mom is here to help me out, and my roommates are too. I don't know where I would be without them.

I'm sharing all this on here for context. We had such great momentum on the project leading up to this, and I don't want to slow down. We're so close.
    IMG_3905.jpg
    The day after surgery, I figured out what I could do on 2.0 while I was out of commission. Remember when I primed and painted the dash? Here I am getting it ready for the next round of color(s) at the Loyola paint booth.

Since then, my mom and I have been working away on the dash and the insert. I have a few more updates for tomorrow, but just wanted to keep you in the loop.

warbird1, Tim, winduptoy and 7 others like this.
  25. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was hard to like that last post Joey, but the perseverance and time spent with Mom wins out. Keep smiling!

winduptoy and Six Ball like this.
  26. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple of thoughts on knee surgery. First one in 1969 when I was a senior in HS. Spent a week in the hospital and had a cast from my hip to my ankle. Had some issues but not bad enough to keep me from getting drafted.:cool: Had a full knee replacement 8 years ago on the other knee. No issues but this time I was sent to physical therapy and I followed the regiment completely. Big difference. Listen to your Dr, do your PT and don't push it. You'll be back to double clutching in no time.

HemiDeuce and Six Ball like this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Old age catches up with all of us! :rolleyes: :D

warbird1 and 51504bat like this.
  28. Joey's not old.... but it sure sounds like he's getting to be fairly High Mileage.

Six Ball and winduptoy like this.
  29. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @J.Ukrop
    And all new meaning to the term "MAYDAY"
    Might be cool to put some cool hot rod decals on those crutches as well!
    Here is hoping for a speedy full recovery!
    First rule of non hot rod approved footwear,
    "BIRKENSTOCK'S, NEED NO SOCK'S"
    Thanks from Dennis!

winduptoy likes this.
  30. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heal well there brother and thanks so much for keeping us in the loop....
    your wellbeing is important to us....now back to sanding and paint prep