Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Chevy 210 custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by The Chevy Pope, Feb 26, 2024.

1. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

It's all good lol. I still gotta get the trunk compartment of the 54 to me lol

2. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

Started on the other side. Hopefully have it painted in a week or two IMG_20240422_162640.jpg

Tim and CSPIDY like this.
  3. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

So supposed to be hitting up a semi local speed shop Friday afternoon I haven't been to in a few months. Gonna try to pick up the cad/olds style breather while there and hopefully meet up with another hamb member to jaw a bit

4. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

Well between the rust ring and the goobered up oil drain plug I got a little paranoid and dropped the pan. Despite the sludged up oil pan the bottom end is actually in really good shape. I may Go ahead and replace the oil pump before new pan goes on. Lot of sludge in the pickup and it's not worth cleaning an sbc oil pump with as cheap as new ones are. Thinking I'll pop the timing cover to check the chain too today. Probably replace the timing chain regardless as that's standard procedure for me on most of my personal engine swaps IMG_20240424_134115.jpg

5. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

That's handy. I bought a new oil pump two years ago for the 53 thinking a then 46 year old oil pump might be a bit tired. But as soon as I dropped the pan and looked I ran what was in it(currently idles at 40 psi warm with original 1976 oil pump). So I actually already have a brand oil pump and pickup sitting in my trunk lol. Makes it even better that I bought it at two year ago prices and not today pricing Screenshot_2024-04-24-14-03-47-551.jpg Screenshot_2024-04-24-14-03-38-657.jpg

6. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

And as I expected it could use a timing chain. But honestly chain isn't in bad shape for 28 years and 130k miles.

fastcar1953 likes this.
  7. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

Aside from slapping the timing cover and oil pan back on and taping over the ports, valley and oil pan this is pretty much ready for paint. Decided to paint the block side mounts with the engine IMG_20240425_173213.jpg

8. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

And some oddball stuff for the car. Bag of hardware is more aesthetic hardware for the valve covers along with aluminum washers. Grabbed a chrome distributor hold down tab. And a drill bit and tap to drill the block to mount a chrome fuel pump block off plate as it'll look better and is easily visible in car IMG_20240426_191442.jpg

Tim likes this.
  9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

429590139_7676295645727988_2383672947692091613_n.jpg 432416372_7676295062394713_5252951422399966381_n.jpg Need a a/c unit? I'm taking the one out of my truck. It's a old vintage under dash unit. Works great.

The Chevy Pope likes this.
  10. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

Does it have a heating unit? Or does that rely on the trucks original heater?

11. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

12. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

I'll have to see how my wife reacts to warmer weather this year. I'm personally not big on a. More of a roll down the windows and crank the vent glass and hit the gas. If anything my boss may be interested for one of his tractors. Or that 78 f250 of his im restoring

13. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

Looks like I may have to have you haul the car if still willing judged off how things are going at the shop. And at the moment there's a disabled Kenworth blocking where it'll go

fastcar1953 likes this.
  14. "Big" ED

"Big" ED
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

An audacious project for sure but you sound committed and I'm sure it is going to be beautiful. Can I add a little advice? Don't trust anyone who claims they are willing to help or "fill in the gaps". Everyone has their own lives and wives! Those with the best intentions tend to taper off in the help department. So, get help with the things you really need guidance on first. Be sure to join a local club; one that is active and supports each other. They'll not only provide you much needed help, but this is a serious project. It's one of those that you can tire of easily. A local "supportive" club will help keep you going even when you don't feel like it. And don't "wait" for a specific part before you continue. There's always something to be done and waiting for that part will only make you lazy to continue with the build.
    Finally, I get a lot of prospective or new builders ask me for advice. Here's what I suggest they do before they take on any build.
    1. Make sure your tool set is up to the task. You're going to need all the basic hand tools plus a compressor, hose, and basic pneumatic tools... Vanadium or chrome sockets DO NOT belong on an impact, you can get hurt really quick! If you need sockets or wrenches, head to the Pick-Your-Part, you can always find sockets, wrenches, and who knows what in junk cars.
    2. If you must buy a tool, it doesn't have to be expensive. Harbor Freight sells some quality tools and have a good warranty program.
    3. You'll need a multitude of "soft parts"- nuts, bolts, washers, screws, gasket material, etc. Find a local fastener shop (not Ace or Lowe's) but a real fastener supply store that will sell individual nuts, bolts, etc. You'll save money and they will always have what you need. And NEVER throw a fastener away unless it's really screwed up.
    4. If you're going to match the color of your engine to your car, go and pick a can of Dupli-Color closest to the color you want to paint your car and have the painter match it. You'll be touching up your engine and other parts more than you know and not all reds, blacks, oranges, etc. are the same.
    5. Make lists of what you'd like to accomplish today or this week and don't be too ambitious. Accomplishing more will keep you going than failing at not getting the list done.
    6. Be Safe and Have Fun. If you can, make it a family project. Remember it's not the years we remember and relish, it's those individual moments!
    Best to you and let me know if I can help.
    Brother ED.

Algoma56 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  15. "Big" ED

"Big" ED
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Beware of tall, finned valve covers. Be sure you have all your accessories and brackets ready to bolt on then order the valve covers. Once they come in, bolt them on and test fit your accessories, alternator, A/C compressor. Tall covers tend to get in the way of these things. And don't believe you don't plan on running an A/C. If the wife isn't happy cruising without it, you'll be calling Vintage Air. Also, check out Summit Racing. They have the same parts, will get them to you faster, and don't typically charge shipping.

16. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

Eh at this point I'm pretty sure I won't be running ac. Been with my wife 7 years and none of my personal cars have ac(four total not counting this 54....3 running). When she rode in the 53 she was shocked at how much air the wing glass moved at 35-40 mph. And yeah I dealt with tall finned valve covers on my 53. The alternator brackets I use clear them

17. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

This car will likely get power steering but it'll be electric. I like the simple look of just crank pulley, water pump and alternator

Another thing about no AC is not only am I anemic I worked in an aluminum foundry for a good bit. Ac actually bugs mes me at this point. Really powerful ac actually causes me pain lol.

18. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

Engine in my 53 IMG_2023-08-11-17-13-16-120.jpg

fastcar1953 likes this.
  19. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

Finally got around to painting the actual steering box. Tomorrow I'll put the cleaned locknut back on and adjust it a bit IMG_20240428_185408.jpg

20. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I getting rid of one van tomorrow. The other in a week or so. Then I will get your car loaded. Maybe about 3 weeks. Hopefully we can get it there and have room to park it.

21. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

That would actually likely work out nicely. Thank you again

fastcar1953 likes this.
  22. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

Oddly to me this one seems like it'll be easier than my 53 as majority of the teardown is done along with some of the work. On top of having learned the car from doing my 53. Only thing that would make it tougher to me(aside from the missing parts lol) is the fact the body is not on the frame. But I've had bodies off other cars and considering how cheap the car was I can live with it.....in fact at first I wasn't expecting to even get the frame with it at first lol. And yeah if I like a project or at least like the intended result I get stubborn stuck on them. I've always been broke and funny looking and loved hot rods and women. So to be broke and take care of a hot rod I had to be crafty and stubborn to end up with a car to catch the attention of a potential lady friend while distracting her from my face ;). Seller on the 54 has been very helpful.....turns out we had very similar plans for the car before he had the lift incident. So a lot of what I needed he either hooked me up with or sold me cheap and helped get it to me. So far every hamb member I've met in person has been a pleasant experience. I've met around five so far

23. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

I'll expand some because somehow I missed this comment till a few minutes ago lol. Wife isn't to
    I'll expand a lil as I somehow didn't see this comment till tonight lol. Wife doesn't want to wrench.... Luckily she likes playing dress up and has a vintage pinup girl look to her naturally lol. So I often get her to pose in outfits with my 53....and I of course take pics lol. She also loves how pretty it makes her feel. And occasionally shell bring me a beer in her bikini top while I'm wrenching lol. My step daughters are just anxious to ride in them lol

The people that helped me if the last time they helped me ended up being the last time they did it'd already be beyond what could be expected.

As for local car clubs.....not much of an option for me here. There's like one car club and it mostly caters to cars with current factory warrantees or cars made in countries we've been at war with. Part of why I've been kinda reaching out to guys near KC.

24. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

This is from when she first started trying to dress retro. In fact she's wearing my jacket in the pic lol. As the paint progresses on the 53 I'll have more safe for work pics lol Messenger_creation_1666634753728306.jpeg

lurker mick likes this.
  25. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

So I stepped back a bit to rethink things and try to keep to the k.i.s.s. method more lol. ORIGINALLY I had intended to put my 58 Impala rear end in my 53 and the current S10 rear end in the 53 in the 54. Went to try to get an adapter u joint to use the 58 rear in the 53 with its current drive shaft (both rears use same length shaft) could not find one. So I had figured I'd grab another S10 rear for the 54. So count them. That'd give me three rear ends with two cars. Meanwhile everything for the 58 rear end is where I'll be working on the 54. Had already planned on ordering a custom drive shaft for the 54. Durr da Durr Ryan just use the 58 rear end in the 54 roflmao. Less stuff to buy and less stuff to haul. And I can just order the driveshaft to use the stock rear 58 u joint.

26. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

It pays to step back and think about things.

The Chevy Pope and Algoma56 like this.
  27. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

Yeah sometimes when I get to thinking I forget to stop to think lol