Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 Ford sedan gasser.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fordcoupeguy, Apr 21, 2024.

1. fordcoupeguy

fordcoupeguy

Hey guys , I think I might build a gasser out of my 40 2dr. Its gonna be on a budget using parts that I have. I have clipped the front with a Ranger twin I beam and boxed the frame. I am using a sbc auto. Again, this is done with parts I already have . Any other 40 sedan gassers out there? Resized_20230927_104835_9620.jpeg Resized_20230927_104911_7739.jpeg Resized_20230927_104941_1752.jpeg

2. My friend Tony is building this with set back blown BBC for street/strip. His has been a race car since the 50’s.
    IMG_4326.jpeg IMG_6269.jpeg IMG_6262.jpeg IMG_6250.jpeg

3. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

looks like a gasser...nice work.....40 Ford 3 door project cars are popping up everywhere for little money..

4. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Tow Truck Tom and Dooley like this.

5. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Don't know why you would want to clip it with a Ford Ranger front end when it already has a straight axle from the factory.

mitch 36, swade41, SS327 and 5 others like this.
  6. I have to agree with wheeltramp brian, The Ford twin I Beam is probably the worst selection you c0uld choose for any change over. If you're going to lift the wheels at all you're headed for a ride you won't soon forget.

swade41, SS327, slayer and 5 others like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, that struck me too as almost the worst front suspension a guy could put into a ‘40.

Nailhead Jason, SS327, slayer and 3 others like this.
  8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

^^^agreed^^^

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

AMT-R2-1088-2.jpg
    I agree that the twin I-beam may not be the best. Nonetheless, here are the first two machines that came to mind.
    2v2atNf18xfdcaD.jpg

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  10. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

That is one way, to add weight

SS327, Pist-n-Broke and seb fontana like this.
  11. SS327

SS327

He’ll learn the first time it pulls the wheels and he goes to set it back down and it goes every way but in a straight line!

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  12. You got that right. I kinda hinted at that in my post without being as specific. Figured let him have the full experience of Having your Hands full!

SS327 likes this.
  13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Along with his skivvies!

SS327 likes this.
  14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

In the world of 40 sedan drag cars the Moreland black 40 sedan sets the bar. Neglected for many years after its glory years. Rescued and restored by the Lorenzini family and the current care taker Mark Herz in Portland actually taking to the track. Great history.

15. Jack Az

Jack Az

Wow! That's going to be Bad Ass!

16. While agreeing on the ranger front end being an odd choice, it shouldn't be as big a deal as far as being uncontrollable as is being said if done correctly. They have been used in baja and prerunners for decades... just sayin.

Cooon likes this.
  17. I totally understand the Baja side of things. Real rough terrain, lots of 1 or more wheels off the ground and the driver needs to say on the wheel full time to react. You never know what's coming next. Twin I Beam serves the purpose well. Things are a little different on the 1320' track and lifting the front end. If you have to be on the wheel to stay between the lines, you're losing time. The way twin I Beams camber, when lifted then add in any torque twist at all you will have one front tire touching down before the other one. That program will never be exact each pass and you will have your hands full staying between the lines while you watch the Ass End of a well-built chassis go through the traps in front of you. You can prove that making 3 lifts with a floor jack. Put the jack under the front frame rails on dead center and lift the tires off the ground. Next move the jack 2" to the right and lift both off the ground again. Now go to the left of center and do it again. What did you see happen? And, while doing that watch what your steering wheel is doing.
    P.S. If you're building a Gasser that don't lift the front off the ground just stay home.

57Fury440 and SS327 like this.