Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Jim, see Colesy's post # 1282

[​IMG]

2. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

3. Jim.Biron

Jim.Biron

Great Pic(s)...
    I saw his tail lights more than once (in fact every time) when we raced.
    Sorry to say the last remnants of Jocko's Speed Shop in Poughkeepsie (just behind the rear door and under the window) burned down a few years ago.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  4. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

[​IMG]

found this photo, taken at Nationals sometime between '69 & '71. no other info.
    i think every sedan delivery made between '55 & '60 ended up in jr stock, and for good reason.:)

5. TO ALL:

Just heard from Darwin Doll former Division Director for NHRA Division 1. I know that he is going to read the post on our site and hopefully he will take the time join.
    As the former Division Director I am sure he has many stories of what went on with many racers in junior stock.
    I think a good deal of you know that he and his wife Pat are the ones responsible for putting on the York Nostalgia Show.in July. www.yorknostalgia.com or [email protected] , they would be an asset to this site.

Dom

6. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

[​IMG]

Phil Cooper’s ILLINOIS SHAKER. Car was later sold to Bob Myers of Matoon, Il.

[​IMG]</O:p>
    <O:p</O:p
    <O:pPhil Cooper with new ’57. photo must’ve been taken after the rule change.

7. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

Anyone have photos of Marcel D’Vignon’s ’57 Ford Fairlane or Bill Nelson’s 57 Ford wagon? They ran J/SA and L/SA, both at ’70 Winternationals.

Attached Files:

8. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  9. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

Larry's was definitely white.

10. Head NED

Head NED
    from York, PA

Thanks Dom. We will try. We're on the site now and are happy to be back with the
    Junior Stocks who were the backbone of our sport. Hope you can make the Tribute
    to Junior Stock at York on July 9-10, 2010. We look forward to seeing you there to
    share the memories.....................Darwin Doll

11. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

[​IMG]

’71 Nationals second round of K/SA. That’s Bobby Warren in the Chevelle. The wagon was always a little slow off the line, but I caught a good light and had a 2-3 ft head start. I was then DUMBFOUNDED as he flew past me by almost two car lengths! I took the win with a 12.92 @ 106 to his quicker 12.83 @ 104. My friend ran over to Warren’s pit for a reaction. His partner said, “Why did you let that kid beat you?” to which Bobby replied, “There wasn’t anything I could do about it, he just drove around me!

-Bob

12. 65deluxe

65deluxe

13. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two more shots from the ‘71 Nationals. Lots of moral support while changing head gaskets between rounds, and then back at home afterwards.
    That towing rig was the ultimate in technology and safety!

-Bob<O:p</O:p

14. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Glad to have you with us Darwin. You will surely be enthused about next year's show after you have hung around here for a bit. I'll bet you will not have to work too hard to convince some former racers to recreate their cars.

Tom

15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks for posting! I especially like the 'look' of this 1957 Chevy. Very sano!

Regards,

Pete

16. Dog427435

Dog427435

17. Dog427435

Dog427435

18. Dog427435

Dog427435

19. Dog427435

Dog427435

20. Dog427435

Dog427435

21. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

These are some great pictures of blown Fords and Phil Coopers 57 Chevys. Some where I have a picture of John Barkley's 57 still on the tow bar in the back lot at Indy 1968.

22. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Bob,
    Wow, great pictures. Thanks for sharing!
    Bob Rice

23. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Damn,have not thought of the Knock on Wood car in 40 years.Joe Kenny and the KOW wagon ran a few times at South Glens Falls where I saw them.Got a bunch of pics but I don't think any of them but I will check.Can't remember right now who had the caprice but it might come to me.

24. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

The Stan Spolski driven shotgun car was where Lombardo;s buckshot got its name....whats in front of a shotgun?? shheeshh!!!

25. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the info.
    Bob Rice

26. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

Bob:

Thanks for posting the picture of my Custom. I don't seem to have any, someone requested a picture. This had to be in '72 after the rule change, that is an IHRA classification on the window. I ran it for a half season in '72, then changed to the Fairlane to take advantage of the IHRA rules at the time. The Fairlane could run in 4 different classes then, and under the record of all four.

I reviewed the list of names we came up with with blown or 2-4 '57s, we have 14 names that are not on "the list". Also, I found 4 unfamiliar names on the nationals entry lists with '57 Fords, but no indication what engines. I don't know how my name got on the list, but I am honored.

John

27. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

This is a picture of Joe Wolf. Joe was one of the people who had a hand in my dads performance education. Joe was apparently ahead of his time in many ways...He had a modest shop named "Joe Wolf's Hollywood Speedshop". They worked on all types of cars but mostly Joe became known for his nascar stuff... they even won the championship in 55 or 56 w/ Fonte Flock driving.His shop turned out some extremely fast race cars,and some pretty good performance guys. I was given Joe's little black book from back then and its really neat to see the names in it. How about Ed Isky's home phone number from then..Same w/ Lee Petty,Dean Martin,Jerry Lewis Bill Frantz Sr....ect. As well as dyno figures(they had a military issue dyno) and set up specs for the cars. The next pics are Jo's Amoco... My dads race headquarters thru some of his biggest success. I have pics of this place with the parking lot full of racecars...cool stuff. This was Larry Lombardo's father Joe's business. Joe is owed a huge tip of the hat to Larry's and my pops success.Without him most would not have happened.I recently got a dvd converted from Joes home movies of all the early stuff...(thanks Jim Amos) it has so many neat things on it...tons of passes...68 indy teardown at Paul Harvey Ford...pit shots ..ect.ect.

Attached Files:

28. johnco

johnco

steve; i raced with bob for his entire career and if we ran outside of a local show it generally in div.1. it would be the odd ocasion we would run div.3. johnco

29. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

What did Big John get "bounced" for? I probably heard at the time but have long since forgotten. Musta been sumpthin "unfixable" - eh? Got any more pix of Archies 56 SD?

30. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey