Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carport ideas! what have you done?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveohnick2932, Aug 21, 2012.

1. jazz1

jazz1

If you buy a portable shelter I suggest the dome shaped..they withstand the wind much better than any other shape and anchor them with 3' readyrod. I know a guy who used the supplied anchors on his portable garage(not dome shaped) in the morning it was on his neighbours front yard and the garage did substantial damage to the rustang it was sheltering.

2. Don,
    Absolutely correct here. I lived in a ratty old neighborhood with a HOA and they were turning people in all the time for car ports. I guess KC has a no permenant car port rule. They ususlly looked the other way unless someone complained.

In a year I saw about 20 old carports (and some new) come down.

I bought one of those car tents from California Covers.

I used it summer and winter with the side curtains.

One thing if someone goes in that direction is that you have to keep the snow knocked off they won't take much snow buildup.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

House I bought had a substantial carport. First thing I did with it was have it built out into a garage.

4. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Here in Kommiefornia the only thing I had to check was set back from the property line (20') The concrete slab needed no permit as it's not in a "liveable" space. The awning didn't need a permit as it's considered a temporary structure.

5. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I live on Kommiefornia also got to love it here! I have been looking at other carports in my area of town and almost all of them are on the side yards and all go from the house right to the fence/property line. Since you can definatly see them from the street and there are several of them that leeds me to think that there are not too many restrictions for putting one up.

6. sconnors

sconnors
    from New York

Here is my 18x20 carport. I started with just the carport, then added some doors and enclosed the whole thing. It's small but works well for me and give me plenty of room to work on my Model A, my Jeep and my Harley. Best of all it gets me out of the weather. The total cost to do everything which I did myself was $1600.00. The most expensive part was the hardware for the doors.

Attached Files:

7. sinisterrods

sinisterrods

call west coast metal buildings in oregon,they have great prices got a 24x26 for $2300 and they set it up for free

8. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I've been thinking about adding a carport to my house. After reading through this I'm glad I live in a county with no zoning. If I decide to build something on my property I don't have to ask anybody's permission. I thought I'd eventually enclose it for anther garage with a door on each end. Drive in one side and out the other.

9. buckd

buckd

That's Exactly what I did. The company comes and installs it ($600) then you pay extra to enclose the sides and one end. If you want to have a garage door you have to fab a header truss and then the garage door company can install the door. This was definitely the least expensive way to go, and it looks great! I had mine sprayed with insulation foam. A small A/c with heater makes it climate conmtrolled Works great.