Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Steering wheels that fit 52 Chevy column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadLuck, Jun 28, 2012.

1. BadLuck

BadLuck

ive been looking at a 51 Pontiac steering wheel for sale online and was wondering if it will fit.. how about Buick, Cadillac etc?? thanks

2. Anything small GM shaft will fit on there, you may have to mess around with the horn contact to make it work - I've done older on newer, but not on an old stock column.

Now which ones are big shaft I'm less certain; '52 Olds was small, '58 Buick Special was large, I presume most Cadillac are large, it may literally vary depending on which body platform and chassis combo got what steering gear.

But the small shaft, used on Chevrolet, is the same diameter and spline count from the 1930s into the mid-1990s, I could literally put a banjo wheel in my 1995 van if I modified the base of it to work on that column.

Pontiac should be small shaft and being close in year should be the easiest to adapt; one car show a guy had like a '94 Gran Prix dolled up with a '54 Pontiac nose and tail and he'd put the steering wheel in it too; it looked terrible, but from the looks of it he'd put the wheel on without any adapter so that's where I presume it's small shaft.

3. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Buick and Cadillac had different splines, Chevy and Pontiac used the standard small GM spline that has been around since the early days and used to this day.

4. It's not just splines, because I had the bright idea to try a '58 Buick wheel on a Chevy column and it was enough bigger to not even catch on the shaft.

5. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks guys for the info.appreciate it!

6. following on from this. Does anyone know if a '55 Chevy 210 wheel would fir a 47-54 Chev??? It keeps it all in the same family an all so I guess it would, but what you guys reckon?

7. atomickustom

atomickustom

Yes, it'll fit. I've seen it done.

8. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I have a 50 Pontiac in my 54 chevy.

[​IMG]

9. Come on.

10. lowrd

lowrd

I fit a 55 wheel on my 53 without problems, didn't like the look but it did fit. Don't know about the horn contacts though.

11. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

All the Chevy wheels are the same, Buick,Olds, and Cadillac have the larger splines and wont fit but any Chevy or Pontiac wheel will. I have a few early 60's wheels if you need one.

12. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

anyone know if Corvette wheels have the same size spline ans other chevy cars?

13. Cheers guys. I love the 50s olds wheel and like the idea of taking something olds with me in my suburban build after having to sell my olds lowrider in order to have to pay for it