Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Joe Pirotta & Charlie Caruana "Crimson Pirate" 60s Oz Hot Rod magazine features

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy B, May 24, 2010.

1. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

The tyres! The tyres man!!

2. Retroline

Retroline

Well preserved piece of history. Very cool indeed. Thanks for the photos.

3. these pics were also in the thred on ozrodders.
    Joe's '57 Thunderbird and one of the two 427 SOHC motors (Paul Munro's kit) that the blokes are putting together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

5. Can you buy magazines published in the US from magazine stands in Australia and NZ. Do you receive US television shows?

A lot of times I think we are controlled our major media corporations.

Thanks

6. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

yes, we get most US mags and shows, we probably see more of your programs than ours.

7. Thanks for the reply. We do not have your stuff on the newsstands or TV. I never knew that hot rods were enjoyed all over the world until I got on this site and Ford Barn. My brother has cable TV with over 100 channels and they are all US channels. It would be nice to hear other countries perspective on the news and if our news media is reporting the whole story.

Thanks again

8. Oh man, Satisfaction looks good.

9. WOW! Awesome pics! Love the twin chromed cusso gauge cluster!

My old man used to knock around with those guys back in the 60's with the Confederates and Southern Beaches Car Clubs. He always told me stories of hangin out and how the old man would rock up at sand quarries and hop out of a brand new mid 60's t-bird straight into the mud and what not. Get back in and off they went!

10. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Great to see those pics ! A lot of Aussie history right there. Thanks for posting them

11. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Awesome stuff!

Apparently.....Mum didnt like all of those "Big Yank cars" and wanted a new Ford Falcon.....so dad went off and got one.....driving home from the dealers, he pulled up next to a 61 Fury Coupe at the traffic lights.....and swapped keys then and there!!!!!!!:eek:

Funnily enough......most of the crazy shit Leno has built over the years wouldn't be "HAMB friendly" either.......but his "hot rod of a lifetime" is nearly ready!!!!

Bu those young tearaways in that mid 60s pic is still exactly who they are now........enthralling and piss funny, while extremely knowledgable.....all at once.

They just don't make em like that anymore...:cool:

12. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Nice thread Jimmy! Awesome to see old builds from other parts of the world!!

13. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

14. nice to see the earlier stuff seing the light of day again. im trying to light the fire under my dad to start the of rebuild his '34 Ford p/u the former Abdilla bros "quicksilver" this year. itll be 30 years since its seen the road this year. so its gotta happen

15. Thought I would bump this thread.

Outback, lothiandon1940 and micksmith like this.
  16. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Joe and Charlie were awarded for their contribution to drag racing and hot rodding at the 2022 Nostalgia Drags last weekend at Heathcote Park Raceway.
    That guy with the Cobra powered Zephyr, Ken Spence, seen on the first photo was also awarded for his contribution to the sport. They all sat together for dinner at the Heathcote Union Hotel on Saturday night.
    Our favorite Aussie on HAMB, ROOMAN was also awarded for his contributions.

Outback likes this.
  17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, what a ride those guys have had! Thanks, @Jimmy B, for bumping this thread. I'd never have know about these cars and the fellows who built them.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. rc57

rc57

Nice cars, I've been hitting the "like" button and just noticed it's a 12 year old thread. But worth it.

Outback likes this.
  19. I remember seeing the Crimson Pirate model A pickup at either the Roselands or Burwood Shopping Centers Hotrod Show in the late 1960's......don't think the FX ever made it up to Sydney for a show but could have...........lol............have every issue of Eddie Fords Custom Rodder magazine, the one with the FX on the cover sold out very quick.....lol..........Jimmy B if you see this can you email me?......... [email protected]...........thanks, Andy Douglas

Outback likes this.