Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Time Junk Yard Photos PIX 1920 to 1970

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Aug 20, 2009.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Almost defies the imagination, doesn't it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SVOPaul, member of the below free forum, posted the photos originally in '08. In March
    of this year, he posted again, in answer to a query, saying that the car has (apparently)
    been pulled inside to gather dust instead of foliage.:p So, it's now a FUTURE Maryland
    "barn find," eh? :eek:

The images are at: forums.themustangsource.com/f761/1971-boss-351-a-472752/

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow! :eek: This is the kind of vintage junkyard shot I have always treasured since I first posted --
    and before we branched out into old V.T. still sitting in SURVIVING yards today! It's just a
    joy to sit and look at cars, many of which were barely 10 years old and with TONS of 'rodding
    potential, by today's terms! :D Yowza, yowza! (Note the Packard, the Zephyr and the Deuce???:cool:)

[​IMG]

Originally Posted by woody1946 [​IMG]
    Hundreds of junked cars were denied to the war effort by the Lennox Motor Company
    in Maryland. The owner refused to sell at the established junk prices.

3. Glad you liked the picture, so here is a link to the large version if you are interested

the picture is over 7MB, so it will take a while to download

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Hundreds_of_junked_cars_were_denied_to_the_war_effort_by_the_Lennox_Motor_Company_in_Maryland._The_owner_refused_to..._-_NARA_-_196425.tif

4. lord of de scoot

lord of de scoot

5. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

they do not do well in europe

6. Wow!! A pair of 1936 Dodge Brothers sidemount fenders!!! RARE!!!

7. That's a 1936 Ford.

8. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Are you sure that's what they are? Maybe rare, but are they desirable? I'm sure they're still there.

9. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

1935, they have 4 chrome spears on the hood sides, '36's have 3. ;)

10. lord of de scoot

lord of de scoot

Chevrolet Styleline 1950 & a white Plymouth Belvedere Club Sedan 1955.

[​IMG]

Buick Special Convertible 1953

[​IMG]

11. lord of de scoot

lord of de scoot

Renault Fregate:)
    [​IMG]

Buick Convertible :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

I don't know....:cool:
    [​IMG]

12. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Sorry I haven't posted anything for a while. Unfortunately the way the HAMB threads are laid out, I am not sure what I have already posted. So if I accidentally post one that I already posted, please forgive me.

Here are a couple views of a 38 International truck I shot in Scottsdale, AZ of all places last month. It is in someone's yard. He is going to use it as the backdrop for his outdoor bar that he is building for when he has parties. He is living my dream - rescuing these gorgeous vehicles and using them in this state for decoration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone and an absolutely out of this world 2012!

http://www.pbase.com/dlgphoto/car_art

13. lord of de scoot

lord of de scoot

Yes, thanks, it's a Ford Customline 54

14. YES!!! VERY desirable.

15. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

All right Jimi, back on topic.... VT, on old route 5, 1959:)

Attached Files:

tofords likes this.
  16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Great, Frankie! Hope you and yours had a nice Christmas! :D

I like seeing these old junkyards letting it all hang out:eek:, before the Johnson administration when Ladybird pushed fences in her pet "beautification" program.:( Those cars, with potential ARE beautiful to HAMBers, right?;)

Given that I still have dial-up, just enlarging the first photo took 5 minutes. :eek: Then, I couldn't display it to comment on details. Any chance of packaging these smaller?:confused:

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Talk about a scrap yard! :eek: This amazing photo was shot by an LA Times
    photographer after World War II, as the city was beginning the massive
    transition from their traditional electric street cars to rubber-tired buses.

This probably UNIQUE pic was posted over on the "Vintage Shots" thread
    by Race Ron, but I capture the real OLDIES anyplace I can! :D

tofords likes this.
  18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Classic V.T. shot from the '30s, THANKS to HAMB new guy MoParTony from Seattle.
    I wish the pic was a little bigger so we could have a better idea when and where it
    was snapped.:confused: If someone has an idea about that truck in the background, it would
    help. My WAG would be roughly 1933. Conway? Could it be South Carolina?:rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Scrapped motors, 1936. Pic posted elsewhere by Michigander RaceRon.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  19. Fenders

Fenders

And guess who was responsible for the demise of, and bought up a lot of, the electric trolley lines in many cities so that they could sell the cities rubber tired busses and sell us cars?
    Progress? Many cities (look at Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa AZ) are going back to electric lines.

20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/12/06/lost-junkyards-project-newport-vermont/

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Of course, on this thread, it's a joy to see when a HAMBer turns up a truly VINTAGE shot of an early junkyard! :cool: Just studying the pic below fires the imagination and the nostalgia center of the brain, eh? :rolleyes: It was first posted by Woody1946 over on the "Vintage Shots" thread. Not only did I rush to post it here, I looked the location and date up at the Milwaukee Public Library site. So, here's some background -- PLUS three accompanying photos by Henry Hunter -- that others besides me will, maybe, find a fascinating backward look through a portal in time! :p And, THANK YOU, Milwaukee Public Library! :D

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 align=center><TBODY><TR><FORM name=mainimage action=""><TD>
    [​IMG]

</TD></FORM><FORM name=smallimage action="">
    <TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD vAlign=top></TD></FORM>
    </TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Shot for the Fire Prevention Bureau of the Milwaukee Fire Department by photog Henry J. Hunter on June 10, 1932, these pix show what must have been one of Milwaukee's biggest auto wrecking and parts resale businesses.:eek: Apparently on the city's southeast side, this seems to have been named simply Milwaukee Auto Wrecking and was located in the vicinity of Kinnickinnic Avenue and Bay Street. Unfortunately, I can't make out some words of the building copy, e.g., "Wisconsin's Largest Auto Replacement Parts"?:confused: Any help, anybody?

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 align=center><TBODY><TR><FORM name=mainimage action=""><TD>[​IMG]

</TD></FORM></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

[​IMG]

One has to wonder if this affable fella was the honcho or just an average working man, eh? :rolleyes:
    If you look closely, under his coveralls he's wearing a shirt and tie! :cool: The building at left says
    "Parts" on the window. There's a wheelbarrow full of -- what? -- starters? :confused: Wheels and fenders
    aplenty!

[​IMG]

Notice that Milwaukee Auto Wrecking was cheek-by-jowl with residential neighborhoods? :eek:
    Apparently zoning codes weren't so picky back in '32! :)

23. lord of de scoot

lord of de scoot

24. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If this is at KK and Bay, it looks like it is shot looking North; I think the Allen-Bradley building is hiding behind that smokestack. In any event, Kinnickinnic salvage is just North of KK and Bay; curious if it is on the same property as pictured here.

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Huge THANKS for the link, Frankie. It led to a good article by the well-known HMN writer, Daniel Strohl! :)
    The piece concerns an apparent official survey of an (obviously) overflowing junkyard, just south of the
    corporation line of Newport, VT, in May 1959.:cool: Doubtless, the photographic/survey was probably going
    to be used by authorities to force some clearing action by the owner.:rolleyes:

Anyhow, this particular pic should get the average car hound salivating like Pavlov's dog!:p Notice the
    Willys Aero???:eek: The panel trucks? The late-'40s Buick 'vert with homemade skirts?:D Couple o' promising
    coupes from the '30s/'40s? MOST of all: Please look closely at the trunk of the '51 Merc. I think I see
    evidence that some rodder blew the flatty and dropped in a 303 "Rocket 88" ! :cool: My old eyes, or am I right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Olds 88 emblem image THANKS to TheTruthAboutCars

26. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey, man, you hit pretty much on one of the things I love about old junkyard pix AND this thread! :D We nail locations and dates down as far as we can. Sometimes, we even come up dry. BUT, it's fun as hell to kick it around and just SEE what we come up with, eh? :rolleyes:

Like some other keen vintage-photo threads on the HAMB, I think this is about LIVING people remembering, discussing, bringing history back to life! :cool:

THANKS!

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Here are a few shots that are relatively recently gathered by HAMBers in a wide variety of locations.
    In all cases there were plenty more photos; these are just the ones I felt were most appealing, either
    aesthetically or in terms of the model pictured.

[​IMG]

HAMB newbie Phil of New Brunswick shot these at a secret yard (by owner's preference) somewhere
    in upstate New York. MORE cars shown on his December '10 thread, "Boneyard in the back roads of NY."

[​IMG]

My dad said that back when he was a kid in the late '30s and early '40s, the popular take
    amongst the young guys on the Dodge Brothers logo was, "Dodge the Brothers, Pick UP
    the Sisters!" LOL. Lil' piece of pop auto history there, eh?

[​IMG]

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

1942 - going to the scrap yard to support the war effort.:eek: Posted by RaceRon over
    on the "Vintage Shots" thread. I've never seen this keen Library of Congress shot
    before. So, now we can add it to the other WWII scrap-drive photos on this junk-
    yards thread! Thanks, Ron, for digging this one up! :cool:

29. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Not sure if these have been posted before, found them on the Ford barn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one hurts me to look at, for obvious reasons I guess. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

30. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

In repose, '50 bathtub Nash, thanks to CountryRoadsPhoto. Love 'em or hate 'em, these
    were some of Nash's most popular models ever and were actually designed using wind-
    tunnel tech, making them fuel-efficient for their time!