Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do You Have A List Of The Hoffman Companies ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomsrule, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

Morons ??????? Well excuse me, but the shit these assholes sell along with thier extremely poor customer service is a complete and utter joke !!!! As quoted above, if it was the occasional problem that arose then fair call, no problems, one could understand that - but it's not ! For you're information, I have 3 projects in my workshop on the go at the moment and every fucking part i have bought from these clowns has had issues and required modification by myself to get it to work correctly. If Hoffman spent as much money on R&D as they do on advertising, then things may be a little different.

2. 5 post here and your avitar is a Billet laden glass car.

Are you sure you are even on the right message board.

MATE!

3. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

If you are an advocate for them, feel free to use my instore credit also.....i wont touch them with a 10 foot pole ![​IMG]

4. 36 coupe

36 coupe
    BANNED

Whatever fuckwit.....knock yourself out !

5. Fuckwit.

Sweet thats way cool.

See you can really learn new stuff here on the HAMB too.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well roadstar, I have one of their "universal" crossmebers out in the garage that I bought from Welder Joe on Ebay along with their front A frames for said crossmeber. I did get the crossmember dirt cheap and for quite a bit less than their magazine or online advertised price. I'm going to pull out the ball joints and put Moog units in before I drive the truck along with doing a few other things. The main issue I have with the crossmeber is that who ever put it together ground though the welds in some places when they finished off the welds. The design and basic material is good but the workmanship is piss poor and my son will probably reweld most of it before I use it.
    In this shot you can see where the weld was ground through.
    [​IMG]

In this one of the tube for the lower A arm bolt you can see the sloppy welds even with my bad photo.
    [​IMG]

I have to apologize for another sub par photo but this one shows the welds on the gusset for the tube that appear to have little or no penetration
    [​IMG]
    The A arms actually look better but may be a bit on the small tube size along with having ball joints that I plan on changing.a

I have only myself to blame as I got in a big hurry and the less than 400 that I paid for both the crossmember and 4 A arms together seemed like a bargain at the time. My son has already said that he can redo what needs to be done on the crossmember so that is handled. I probably won't grind his welds after he is done though.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have personal experience with the Hoffman groups poor service, garbage products etc.

And American shifter stuff is cheap poorly made Chinese garbage.

I'm absolutely sick when I see some of our so called "heros" top builders putting cheap shit Helix parts and other junk Hoffmans many brands sell on their builds.

It is absolutely true that you will find hoffman trashed in many places online and it is more than a coincidence.

I'm getting absolutely sick and tired of the worn out old bullshit line about things like GM (or others) parts not being made in the US.

Just because others are doing it does not make it right.
    The reason hoffman has all their crap made in China is because they can get it for a dollar and sell it for a hundred.

Go away why don't you, no one wants to hear your tune.

Texas57 likes this.
  8. And I have had 3 walker radiators that leaked.

Tons of Vintique parts that didn't fit.

So Cal parts with crappy chrome.

Chassis Engineering axles that had the kingpin holes so far off you couldn't use them.

I could go on.

9. XXL__

XXL__

I guess we're reading different threads since I'm reading a lot of personal experiences here. Such as mine... I bought this dipstick for an OT project. All that came in the package was the handle and stick... No braided tube and no mounting bracket. They refused to provide the missing parts, stating that those were not part of the kit EVEN THOUGH THE PACKAGING SAYS THEY ARE INCLUDED. I bought with AMEX... they lost that fight fast. See attached pics that clearly indicate they were wrong, including instructions for how to cut the missing tube to length. Note, not only is package factory sealed (ie, no parts got robbed out of it when it was on the shelf somewhere), but the packaging isn't even designed to accommodate parts the packaging says are included.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  10. ronotron

ronotron

Perhaps you should enlighten us all as to WHY this is Personal? Do you have an interest in the company? Or a relationship to someone who has an interest in the company?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

I started this thread a year ago because of two bad experiences I had with Hoffman products. I wanted to compile a complete list of Hoffman companies so that I wouldn't inadvertently get burned again. Since last year, it seems that my original fears have been borne out. If you had a good experience with a Hoffman product, I'm happy for you .... but from my experience, Hoffman products and good experiences are rarely found together.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

13. rockfish

rockfish

In my qualified opinion as a card carrying moron i believe it really doesn't take a genius to figure out that the various Hoffman companies put out crap. If you really believe that American Shifter products are in any way quality units my buddy will respectfully disagree based on his experience. It's actually quite impressive how one company can offer such a wide variety of total shit across such a wide spectrum of automotive products. You'd think through dumb luck the would have at least one item worth a shit. If somebody finds one let me know. Parts being manufactured overseas is no excuse for poor quality. Many companies source from Asia with much better results.

Don't know if your kid works there or if you own stock in the company but this sure is a sensitive issue with you.

zzford likes this.
  14. uncle buck

uncle buck

:rolleyes: Nothing personel here , but You are in the auto body business so you should be able to bondo em up, paint em and buff em out.:p Seriously, I have talked to their help at a couple of shows and I came to the conclusion they were fresh hires with no product knowledge. I chose to walk away and not buy from them based on that experience. The quality control of way to many of our trusted companies we have had around for many years is dropping with the so called "global sourcing" and it sucks.

15. Yet another reason to alter original parts, make it ourselves or get some local craftsman to make it for us. If it comes in a shrinkwrap or a bubble pack then it probably isn't worth having anyway.

I have learnt this through hard experience - I pay at least double the dollar sticker price to get "hot rod" parts over here. Lots of stuff that says "proudly made in America" and in small print says ""refers to packaging only". Lots of stuff that doesn't fit or doesn't work. Total waste of time and money. I made the decision that I would no longer go the credit card route and everything I put on my car is now made by me or other local people or is a refurbished original part or adapted from a British classic or vintage car.

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm not part of the "pile on" mentality, and avoid commenting on things I have no firsthand knowledge of, but I'm a bit bewildered that someone with no horse in the race would so vehemently defend a company with a long record of poor quality, and poor customer service?
    I would guess that if this thread were started by even one person who posted info indicating he got good parts at good prices, and good service, from a Hoffman Group company, the resulting replies would be mostly the same as this thread. The reason is the majority wont get the same result.

zzford likes this.
  17. XXL__

XXL__

Mr. Gasket is owned by Prestolite (Mr. Gasket, Lakewood, Mallory, ACCEL). And, yes, they produce some crap products as well. The issue of Hoffman Group, and of this thread, is more acute... that is, they ONLY build crap products, and worse, their customer service is horrendous... placing the burden for crap products/"warranty"/whatever on the consumer, instead of standing behind their product in even the most basic way.

BTW, as another poster commented, China does not automatically equal crap product. They have the capacity to build first-class products just like most other developed countries. However, when a (US) business decides to offshore their products, it is purely a cost move... and when they show up at the door of a Chinese manufacturer and tell them they want product x made at $0.10-on-the-dollar, we end up with crap products. The blame for this isn't exclusively on the business trying to get rich. We, as consumers, helped create this "WalMart economy," where all we SEEM TO care about is 'cheaper cheaper cheaper' ... and then we bitch when cheaper also means crappier.

/another 2 cents

Stueeee, Nitroholic and zzford like this.
  18. deto

deto

Very profound rebuttal you have posted for us morons. You're retirement portfolio must be heavily invested in the Hoffman group because you're acting like one of us just banged your ex.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  19. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Just saying I have purchased items from Hoffman Gp. & Welder Joe and really have not had any bitches about any of it, lucky I guess ?

20. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

x2 :d

21. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

In my thread from a few years ago, I have photos of the lower A arms I purchased from Helix. They are welded so crooked, I was afraid to use them. I will say this, the rep did at least try (or said he did) to find a set that were not welded wrong, but could not find any in their stock that were good. I finally cut them apart and re-tig welded them myself. And yes I do know what I am doing with a welder. Been welding since I was thirteen. Also they were advertised as being TIG welded but there were ends of the wire still attached from the MIG wire.

22. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

There was a thread similar a while ago about the chinese junk Southern Rods was selling. I joined in on that one. Guess what, I saw in a recent car magazine an ad they ran, some parts are noted as "made in america". Maybe they listened,lets hope more companies do this.

larryj likes this.
  23. Irishman

Irishman

I haven't purchased from these guys. I'll admit, the way the old greenbacks are scarce with "the economy" I tend to seek out the best deal and prices on parts. Hey, I'd love to buy purely USA manufactured parts, but the reality is I can't always afford them.
    In saying that, these kind of threads serve a very useful purpose for us folk on a tight budget. Hard earned dollars wasted on dangerous and subpar crap can really set a ramen noodle bloke back hard.
    To the MINORITY that defend these kind of vendors...as the old saying goes, there ain't smoke without fire.

24. arteee

arteee
    from Michigan

His son works for them.

25. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

I emailed them about their shifters. I had replies from 2 different guys at their office.
    One answer was some of the parts come from china and the other response was the shifters are made in china. I ordered an B&M. More that likely, it has some Chinese parts too but I hope not. I just don't know yet.

26. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

A few years ago I stopped at Streamline auto in Denver, before they closed. I was looking at the autoloc bear claw door latches. One of the sales guys comes over, looks around the show room, then says in hushed tones: Don't buy these autoloc latches. We get lots of come backs after they're installed. Who wants to take their doors apart to fix latches after the cars done? Go buy Rocky hinge latches. Sorry we don't sell them but you can call rocky direct.
    That was enough for me.
    Yes, I know they're out of business now, maybe because they walked too many customers that wanted autoloc products, but I appreciated the honesty of the salesman.

27. The Portland Oregon Better Business Bureau's website review of The Hoffman Group says that "THIS BUSINESS IS NOT BBB ACCREDITED" and goes on to give them a "F" rating (on an a to f scale) for the high number of unresolved complaints received from customers.
    Google it yourself, roadstar.

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, but you know, the Oregon BBB are just a bunch of morons who lurk internet forums to bitch-slap reputable companies that turn out quality products...:rolleyes:

29. Thanks Art, good to see you still stirring shit at my expense.

30. Just goes to show sometimes the 1-800-hot-rod kit isn't cheaper or easier than just going to the junkyard and finding something to modify to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.