Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2014 AMBR Contender Sneak Peek

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39ChevyBob, Dec 30, 2013.

1. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Went to my Friend Terry Stoker's shop today to see progress on a customer build, which has been approved to participate in the AMBR competition. They are currently just calling it "AMBR on a Budget"...while being meticulously built, it is not over the top, and built as closely as possible to what would have been built in 1956 to compete in the high end shows.

265 SBC, 40 Ford 3 speed on the tree, 40 brakes, custom built guages, and a lot of very subtle changes. It will run a full hood when completed. Paint is 1953 Chevy. Excuse the lousy cell phone pictures - all I had with me. Enjoy, and wish Stoker's Hot Rod Factory best of luck competing with the big boys!!

Attached Files:

2. 39ChevyBob

39ChevyBob

Hmmm... Thought there might be some interest, with the Grand National Roadster Show a few weeks away. No comments?? Anyone like this back to basics build as an AMBR entry?

3. Looks cool. I really like the colour. Should be interesting to see the contenders this year hopefully more of what we started to see the last couple of years.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Looks like Ford Spiniker Blue to me.

VR&C.

5. TV

TV

Well I'll tell you, I like it very much, a welcome change. Good luck at the show.--TV

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I love it. Love all the brightwork. Hell of a nice car, subtle. Very nice.

7. Love the car,but sadly,I'm afraid it's too simple to be a contender for the judges of the AMBR.

Personally,I think the AMBR show has gotten so far away from what we enjoy it's just a popularity contest or glamorizing the guy that's got the best builder and the most money to throw at a car. HRP

8. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Yawn ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ another 32 guy with deep pockets.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree with HRP...

10. There have been a number of cars in contention the last couple of years that we're not high end shop, money thrown at the cars. The two from Thee Inland Emperors from the N.W. immediately come to mind. Since the rule changes a couple of years ago things have definitely been swinging away from that norm.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. badshifter

badshifter

It's clean and subtle. Maybe it's the camera or angle but is it stretched an inch or two/three in the rear quarters? Something looks different, might just be the camera angle. Good luck to your friends.

12. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Nice car. Truthfully at a car show I would probably not look twice at it .I would love to see the competition put a dollar cap on build spend. A true backyard builder with a chance to compete in it.

13. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

swing pedals, OTB bug domes, posies spring.... what else???

I'll pass

14. Maybe it has something to the era you grew up in,I grew up in the 60's and the style of this roadster trips my trigger,I would stampede to get a closer look. HRP

15. I talked to him several times when he had the light green and light grey coupes. He had some nice touches then, but now? He's really stepped up his game!

16. 46chevy

46chevy
    from reeds,mo

these are the kind of cars that should win but don't. I agree with HRP

17. eppster

eppster

To me the narrow line whitewalls say early 60's not 1956.

18. Love the detail work and the column shift

19. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

I would drive it, but I'd hate to be the one who has to keep that underside clean...

20. Overall I really like the car. Its a gutsy move to use the color!! I think a touch of 50's / 60's would be a stock headlight bar?? Its the kind of car I wouldn't mind owning. GOOD LUCK Tim

21. walter

walter

Great build! Got my VOTE!!

22. Just to help clear up a misconception of whitewalls that I also shared with you,,a friend was researching his caddy a few weeks ago and told me about the narrow white walls on his restoration.

The 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham, which went on sale in late 1956 offered a one inch whitewall. HRP

23. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Nice car but the color doesn't do the car justice.

24. CruZer

CruZer

I'm glad I'll get to see it in person. Sweet !

25. LOVE the color (check my avatar). Dare to take a chance! There's too many "safe" colored cars (black/red/DARK blue) out there as it is. Good job. LOVED your light green coupe a few yrs back!!!!!! Good luck.

26. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have been following Terry's build on my blog and my audience love the car and the concept. Simple, understated, highly detailed and will be appreciated by many of us older and younger guys. You don't get accepted in the "Circle" unless they think it is a quality build. Good luck Terry and the owner.

27. metal man

metal man

I like the car, and the color. This is the first of the AMBR hopefuls that I have seen this year.

What were the rule changes mentioned previously?

Also, let's see a picture of that green coupe that Fly United mentioned.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I like it. I couldn't own it, even if it was given to me. I look at show cars and try to see the little things. Stuff that could be done to a low buck build, but at 3/4 of the show car cost.

Basically, does a show car REALLY have to have a $20,000 chrome budget?

29. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Didn't there used to be a rule about not seeing a car before the show?

30. Basically they eliminated the point system they used to use where you would get points for modifications, fit and finish etc. Now there are something like 6-8 categories like Engine, Interior and the Judges score it 1-12 based on the 12 contending cars and then rate the cars 1-12 for the overall category. They then take these score from the 12 judges and come up with a winner.

Nope that is for the Riddler. Lots of cars have competed for the Riddler then the AMBR.

Edit: they may have changed that with the new rules as well now that I think of it. They may not allow cars that have competed at other shows anymore.