Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chopping a 54 ford!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Bryan VH, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

So after reading every thread on here that has to do with 52-54 ford chops, all saying the same thing, don't do it, even after seeing pics of all the bad chops out there.... we chopped it.
    I'll be uploading some build pics as I go. Hopefully it helps someone, you can learn from my mistakes!!! Haha

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

A couple of before pics.

Attached Files:

3. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

This is after taking 4 inches out.

Attached Files:

4. R Pope

R Pope

Everybody sayin', "Don't do it!" is a good enough reason to go ahead and whack it! It's your tin, go fer it.
    Just enough chop, lookin' good!

kevrodz likes this.

5. R Pope

R Pope

Are you hard-topping it?

6. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

I actually like the look of it, although its hard to tell on the angle of the photos. Post some more when you get a chance, im interested to hear what went wrong!

7. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Looks great so far! I have to admit to being just a bit biased. First DD was a '54 2 dr back in '60, ran a 2nd '66-'68.

Will be looking for more pic's and info of your build.

Ed

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Chopping is the easy part, making the glass fit correctly is the big challenge! Keep the pics coming

9. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Nice ! looking chop

10. atomickustom

atomickustom

Why on earth would anyone say DON'T chop it? That sky-high roof is just begging to be lowered!
    What're you going to do with the rear window? (If it were mine I'd put a smaller rear window in and make sail panels like I did with my '53 Chevy, but to each his own.)

11. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

Thanks guys! I thought the roof looked a little to high also!!! So from the beginning, the plan was to either use the original back glass (that's why I put bracing in the window) or use the rear window from a 48 Plymouth. The Plymouth window looked good, seemed to fit the ford perfect. I probably could have had everything tacked in that same night, spent the next couple months smoothing it all out and been done. That didn't happen! Haha
    I wanted to still use the original rear glass. I wanted the car to be chopped but still have the same features, if that makes sense?!?! So began the journey on how to make the rear glass fit with the new lowered roof, and look good.

12. atomickustom

atomickustom

That rear glass is going to be a challenge, but I look forward to seeing how you work it all out. Good luck!

13. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

Attached Files:

14. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

This was my first chop, so I was learning as I went. I've read it before, but didn't think it was that big of a deal, but I will stress to others, DO NOT BRACE THE DOORS SHUT!!!!!! Haha! Brace the vehicle, as you see in the picks, I may have gone a little wild with my bracing, but when you do, do not weld the doors permently closed! Obviously you can work around it, but its just a pain in the ass!!!!

15. ChefMike

ChefMike

looks great so far ! this is your ride do as you want, those that say you shouldnt and those that say it wont look right usally turn around and say thats what I would have done!

16. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

So after playing around with the pitch of the roof, we decided that the ford would look best with a slight gradual slope rather that a extreme one. Lowering the roof 4 in the front and 6-7 in the back sounded cool, but when we mocked it up that way it just fought all the body lines of the car. So we tacked it in place, started putting the little side pcs in to round out the rear window. Tacked in the a and b pillars. Really making progress at this point.........

Attached Files:

17. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

So after going 4 in the front, around 4½-5 in the rear, we started playing with pitch of the rear window. Laying it forward, moving it up, scooting it back towards the trunk. Some guys suggested flipping it upside down, to get the right look. What we finally ended up doing was scooting it back, and leaning it forward. There's just black spray painted paper in the pic, but I could see a little clearer what the car was gonna look like.

Attached Files:

18. atomickustom

atomickustom

Are you sure the hump (curve) of the glass is going to flow with the slope of the roof?

19. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

So I starred at it for a bit, walked around it a couple hundred times, ask others what they thought. After getting pretty close to done, I didn't like it. It kinda reminded me of a Hudson. Not that that's a bad thing!!! Hudsons are the best! I just didn't want a Hudson, a wanted a chop top ford.
    So I paced around the garage for an hour or two, waiting for a friend to show up that was supposed to be the voice of reason, and talk me out of what I was about to do, but he never came.
    So I cut it all apart a second time!!! This time I went another inch, making a total of a 5" chop. Dropped the rear down a little more, probably around 6-6½ in back. And instead of moving the window back (which is super easy, and everything lines up awesome). I moved it forward another 3".

20. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

I was pretty sure it was gonna look like shit. atomickustom!

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as it doesn't end up like this one that one of my buddies got in a trade it should be ok.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last I heard he was hunting another top for it to start over.

22. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

Haha! That's the worst! There's a guy in Indiana right now parting out a 54 ford. I'm not sure if that works for your buddy. I found him through a Chicago craigslist ad.

23. About time you started a thread on this! If you weren't I was gonna! We haven't even gotten to the "fuck it, one more inch" part yet. Haha

24. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

So after chopping it again. It had the look I was going for. The dilemma was what to do with the back window. In all my searches, of course I came upon the Matt Noble 54. I love the look of that car, so I sunk the window below the beltline. And hoped the rest would work!!!! Haha

Attached Files:

25. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

I noticed in all my searches for good 52-54 chops, the back part of the roof, always seemed to have a hump that ruined the profile of the car. In order to eliminate that bubble top look, I cut out about 10-12 inches In the back, to give it a better transition.

26. Squablow

Squablow

I'm watching intently to see what you did with this car. I chopped my '53 in high school but it's a bit awkward looking (as they often are) and I'd like to redo it, very interested to see how yours turned out. I sunk my back window as well but could never get it to seal nicely, I plan to replace mine with a '49 Merc unit I have.

27. I think you nailed it.

28. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

I love what you're doing here. I'm taking another approach with my 53 Vicky. I stared at mine for months, it seems, and decided the window hight was real close, but the big crown in the roof over the drip rails gives it that bubble look I can't stand.
    Plus I don't like the wrapped rear glass. What to do?
    Then it hit me... In 55 and 56, the Crowns and Mercs used a low roof for their hardtops, why not to that? I'll get less of a bubble bulge in the roof crown, and also get rid of the wrapped glass.
    I found this old pic, so this should give you an idea what I'm shooting for here. I've never done a chop, so this should be interesting..
    image.jpg

29. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

Thanks to everybody! Glad you guys are digging it so far!

30. Bryan VH

Bryan VH
    from Elgin IL

The last episode of monster garage is a 54 ford chop, drop, sectioned, the works! When I say I did my homework, I mean I read, watched, googled just about everything on chopping a ford. Anyway, they solve that bubble top problem, unfortunately I'm not Gene Winfield, I'm just a tattoo jerk from Elgin that loves cars! But I thought what they did was pretty awesome!