Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Swedish Dry Lake Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.B., Feb 28, 2014.

1. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I have been thinking a lot about starting a thread about my new hot rod build. It will make me spend time on updating every now and then and also push my already pressed schedule to do so. But I love the HAMB and Ryans ambition for tradition, the very soul in which I find support for my own life long interest in this particular type of cars.

I have started a new project some time ago that will hopefully end up with a running car this summer, even if all details won't be ready. It is not a 100% authentic car with ONLY vintage stuff, like engine components. I want to have a dry lake styled hot rod that have a 200 hp flathead linked to only traditional parts. And I want it to able to be used as a daily driver. Eeeh.... well, since a roadster in Sweden is almost impossible as a daily driver, I mean during the summer season. :D

One of my inspirations for the build is the Bill Likes roadster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the only inspiration, of course. I want the car to have a level stance, like many of the pre-war cars. But, the fastest roadster in 1951 was Bill's Edelbrock car above and they had a really high and almost level car. So it seemed to work ok. :p

So, what do you say? Shall I start this goddamn thread? :D

2. Sure ! i think it would be great.........

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool plans - street driven flathead with 200hp might be bit of a challenge

4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

There was a guy in Colorado, Charlie Clark, that was making fuel injection for flatheads that was streetable, someone on here must know more.

5. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I'm talking about regular carburetors, not injection, not blown... :)

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Post away. You'll never be in better company. We eat, sleep, and breath this stuff and Ryan provides the perfect playground.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Love the idea!! You always knock shit out of the park so this will be no different.

8. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Well, this project started all the way back in the fall of 2007 when I bought a 1928 roadster project car from Minnesota. And it's a long and winding road up til today.

Here I am picking it up at the Swedish harbor in the winter 2007
    [​IMG]

Only had time to put on better tires and trailer the car to A-Bombers Old Style Weekend in 2008. I just got it started a couple of times, so it was a non running car at the moment. The front end was totally worn out and no brakes etc. But it looked ok for standing still. :p
    [​IMG]

In the fall of 2008, I had the most urgent stuff fixed and got it running enough to have it checked by the Swedish road authorities. It passed!
    [​IMG]

My first idea was to build a pre war style car. A "real" A-V8 with model A frame and body and a pre war V8. Something like this. And remember. I said FIRST idea. Not where we are now. :D
    [​IMG]

So, I blew it apart. :)
    [​IMG]

And more...
    [​IMG]

Started to work on the frame with a "frame height" kick up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come...

ct1932ford and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Cool plans JB:) I will follow this one... 200hp flathead is close to doable now a days:) Get hold of a French Block, and you will have a good Foundation.
    4x2 manifold should fit "Lake style":)

K

Taildragger&fenderless

10. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks! Hope to see your dragster out this year!

A French block is not interesting for this build, even if they are good to work on for higher performance. It will be a period build for the most part. I will use my Ford 59AB 296" stroker from my other roadster. Then update that one with a much better manifold at first and see where I will end up on the dyno. :) But there is so much more to this type of build than only the engine. So, I start there. Engine pics and info will come... :D

11. Lovin it so far JB - pre WWII lakes roadsters are killer !!

My roadster is built the same way - thats my favourite style, keep the pix coming brother....

12. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool..... Following!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Looking good JB! Should be a great looking roadster!

14. bonesy

bonesy

I'm looking forward to watching this one....

15. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life
    from AZ

I'm in to watch this one come together ;)

-Matt

16. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

How long is the roadster season in Sweden? 4 or 5 Months? Have fun with your build, and keep at it!

17. Southfork

Southfork

I gotsta see this...

18. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

I understand that you will focus on the traditional part, but you can ¨do some mods on the French Block, making it like a 59AB. And it will "hold" the stroker kit:) 59AB Blocks With minimal rust is getting hard to find these days. I just thought it would be easier for you:) A isky 404A would fit Perfect in the "296":) ??

Oh yes, the Sidewinder will be out this year too:)
    And if I'm Lucky, the modell A will also see the daylight again:)

K

Taildragger&fenderless

19. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks, guys!

Here's how far I came on this first part of the Dry Lake project. This pic is from April 2010. A 59A engine linked to a -39 gear box hanging in a -32 K member.
    [​IMG]

Then this thing showed up in my garage and destroyed my plans for a true A-V8 with Model A frame and body... :D A 1932 original frame in nice shape.
    [​IMG]

20. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Yeah , but your A frame is looking so good.

21. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Yes, it was nice. But now I sold that one and started on the -32 frame instead. Since they also count a Model A body on a 1932 frame as an A-V8, I felt ok anyway... :D

They do however not make a perfect fit! :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

22. Looking good JB.

23. But I am sure you can make it fit.....

24. Nobey

Nobey

Looking forward to this build......

25. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks for the support!

Well, first we need to rip up the floor panels. The rear floor is just so abused. I wonder what they have been up to here. :eek:
    [​IMG]

Then we need to get it down over the kick up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bim bam thank you, Mam!
    [​IMG]

Now it just needs a small V cut out in the front lower panels and we're all set. Hmmm... well, one more thing! Bye bye to these babies...
    [​IMG]

26. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

Cool brother! I am working on an original 32 frame for my 29 body right now as well. Keep us posted!

27. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I had been collecting parts for this build for some time now, so the time was to do a serious take on the chassis. I had a 1" dropped -32 front axle, -32 spindles,front spring, perches and a -32 front wishbone. I bought a complete driveline incl. front and rear axle from a stock 1940 Mercury from where I got the complete brakes and also the rear axle tubes and diff/axle shafts.
    [​IMG]

The 1940 Mercury has a 4" longer wheelbase and a very special drive shaft. It doesn't split at the pinion like a Ford, it is a combined drive shaft/pinion all the way from the gear box through the banjo and then run against the crown wheel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I accidentally bought a Merc 3.54 rear once. It came in the mail and I was like what the?!!! Looking good buddy!

29. Majo

Majo

Looking good!

Majo