Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

It's under my right foot. :D :D :D

2. Old28

Old28

Like the "Rail Yard" or maybe something doing with the old Iron operation.

"The Iron Rail" or "The Steel Pit", just some more idea's.;):rolleyes:

We have the "PATCH" in Famosa and we could have the "PIT" in Fontana.:D

3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Actually, it looks like the "Pit" may take hold, I heard it twice at a car club meeting last week.

4. Old28

Old28

I think that would be great, a lot of history with Fontana Steel both through the plant and the town.:)

THE PATCH & THE PIT, both in Southern CA and another place to make passes, don't get much better.:cool::D

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I still like "The Wall".

6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Pit, Wall, or whatever, I'm headed out there this Sunday for a T&T. :D

The new nose art's not quite finished (mostly done though), as Eli has to spend the week moving to his new digs. It should be done by ANRA though, and certainly will be by Eagle. :cool:

Here 'tis, so far ......

[​IMG]

ps. He's looking to do some more of this kind of stuff, he likes it.
    I can pass his number along to anyone wanting to talk to him, just e-mail or pm me.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  7. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

Don't you just love talent like that. Lookin' good Dick

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I'd love it more if it were mine. 'Til then I'll have to settle for really jealous. :D

9. bobw

bobw

Very nice nose art. I'm assuming there's only one geezer on Team Geezerspeed. The second member is a young lady with matrimonial ties to the geezer, eh?:D

10. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

Aw gee Bob, you know how to make a "girl" feel good. Actually I am the older geezer, but only by 6 months. LOL:p

11. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

That'd be "Geezette". :D

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Kiddies,

Had one of the worst racing days in years at the Pit yesterday...... and had a ball. :cool:

The 'Brick ran for crap, literally. She's picked up a mid range crap-out that looks like it'll take me a bit to chase down. I went through the carbs and ignition at the track, but no dice. I've been noticing a fair bit of breather smoke the last year or so, but I don't take along enough tools for a full tear down, so ...... compression and fuel & air flow tests soon as I can get some time off the shop bench.
    Hope to hell I can get'er squared away for next week's ANRA meet.

It was pretty windy, and as the wall only goes to the finish line the cross wind hits you there (or earlier, depending on its angle), so us bodied (read "lotsa sail area") light cars get in a bit of handling practice. :D
    My second run was just that bit of fun on the top end, even at only 92 I was having to adjust for a drift to hold the lane.

After third round's hour-plus delay for a car that spread itself over most of the top end (wind ?), they cut the runs down to 1/8th mile for the rest of the day ('course us slow types stayed in it for the whole wall anyway ;)).

Had a pair of nice r/t's on the two runs that I made the effort, both .0xx.
    Came home with three sad et & mph slips (embarrassing to accept'em from the cute ticket girl :eek:), and as mentioned; still had a bucket o' fun. :cool:

13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Some days it just goes like that. Stay after it.

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Update that sucketh. :mad:

Kay and I'll be up to Bako for Saturday's quals, but only to spectate.
    I have too much work on the bench to get to the 'Brick's ailments this week.
    Guess the new nose art'll have to wait 'til Eagle for its strip debut.:(

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  15. Old6, was wondering about the cross winds at the end of the wall.Have friends that race with a couple different associations with Heads up stuff and it can get real bad for them. Nose art looks great!

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah. I only hit 105 at best. I can imagine picking up that crosswind at twice that.

Well, Kiddies, I managed to get the bench work out last night at 2330, so I had today to play with the 'Brick. I went through the whole list; compression, timing, valve adjust, carbs, plugs ...... No dice. :mad: Finally, just for the hell of it, swapped out the points I'd already swapped out at the Pit last weekend. Bingo. WTF? :confused: Whatever. :rolleyes:

Tossed in some new plugs "just in case", and drove'er back up on the trailer.
    Loaded up the Dodge, and we're off to Bako tomorrow morning after all. Have to stop by a customer on the 14, and drop off his tooling, then on up the 5 & 99 to Butch's playground. :D

17. bobw

bobw

Whew! That's a relief. When I saw that you posted I was expecting a report of internal damage.

Looking forward to another fine race report.

Good Luck.

18. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Glad it was a low cost fix.

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Sorry to take so long for the update from Bako last weekend, it's taken me three evenings to upload the videos to YouTube (one day I really do need to figure out how to set'em up for quicker uploading).

Anyway, here's the only photo I have so far. It's of Jeana and I, taken just at our launch, second run together, during Saturday's quals.

[​IMG]

There're some more coming in, and I'll post'em up when I get'em.

And here's the link to the videos from the meet.

The weekend was great, Butch's ANRA meets're getting to be quite the thing. :cool:

The 'Brick ran beautifully Saturday, and I snagged HAMBie for the second time in a row, when Jeana took a nap at the tree. The 'Brick was pulling better than ever, and Jeana's car's down to 1200 lbs now, so once again our two cars were so close together that our races were down to driving. That Ford takes the lead every time, and the 'Brick plays a mean game of catch up. We're usually within a foot or so at the stripe ...... the way racing's best. :D :cool: :D :cool:

Also, Joe plans to have his car back up & running at Eagle, so I'll likely have to give it back again there. :D

Sunday was another story though. We started out with 19 cars in Open Wheel, and my first two rounds were won by the big red eye in the other lane.

I'd've won the first one anyway, thanks to the most perfect bracket run I've ever managed :D (or am likely to :eek:).
    I cut an .048 light, ran 13.332 on a 13.30 dial-in, and cranked out 104.25 on the top end. Not great by real bracket racers' standards, but by mine.

The second was dumb luck, as I changed my dial to 13.20 only to run a 13.597 (thanks to an ignition problem I'll cover in a minute). Without the red, he'd've creamed me. Fortunately I'd cut a .005 light to give me the ladder bye for the third round.

Third round I managed 13.475 on my 13.40 dial, but it was a bye, so didn't mean much.

Fourth round. All day Sunday I'd been fighting a transient crapping-out problem. I swapped points, condenser, and plugs in and out, diddled, cussed, ad nauseum. Each time it'd run fine for a few minutes, then start crapping out again, but with no visual indication of anything wrong. Finally, I got'er running for Fourth round, hopped in and motored over to the lanes, only to have'er die cold half way to staging. Had to tell the stager to send the other guy on without me, so I was a no-show for the semi final.

Joe finally noticed a "fuzziness" on the points once while I was swearing & swapping. They were closed but not registering continuity, so he pushed'em together harder, and got a spark. Later, after I calmed down a bit, I deduced that the most likely scenario was that the plastic rubbing blocks on the (cheap repro) points I was using was lightly shredding into a fine powder that was getting between the point tips.

I tossed all 16 sets of those points in the trash right there, and popped in an original set of the three I still have, in order to drive'er back on the trailer.
    Went through everything once again this week at home, and it looks like I may've got the problem squared away. I'll have to hit a T&T to verify, but I do think it's good now.

20. spanners

spanners

Sounds like a good days racing with frustration thrown in to keep the grey matter working. I must admit to having given into temptation and installed a Petromix point conversion into the Holden Grey motor mainly because the supply of new points is drying up in Australia.
    Keep fangin'.

21. Old28

Old28

Great race report and nice group of runs on You Tube, You and that GoPro camera are getting to be good friends.:)

Sent you and Kay a PM.;)

22. bobw

bobw

Ditto what Tom said.

23. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I may have to go back to a Pertronix at some point as well, but am hoping to either find a source, or find a substitute. I really enjoy the challenge of keeping to period style parts and techniques. Even my seat's postwar, an instructor's seat out of a '53 Navy jet trainer (made right next door in Burbank). :D

BobW & Old28, thanks. I finally got the sideways stops about right, and I think it does make for a more interesting picture having both cars in the shot when I can. Especially when they're wheel to wheel. :cool:

24. Old28

Old28

I agree with what you are saying, but as of late the only cars I see in the other lane are at the start, then clear track until 200' past the line we finally get to see the other car. With those .0xx lights and good calls on the dial-in your making the car a fine OPEN WHEEL bracket ride. Keep it up.:)

25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, I suppose I could slow down 'til I get'em in the picture. ;)

Naaaaaah, they wouldn't do it for me. :D

26. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Wow, your becoming quite the "Hitter" my friend!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy Kiddies,

I'm getting things ready for the run down to Barona for their Antique Drags this Sunday. :D

I promise to take along the GoPro and shoot a rolling clip of the world's coolest return road. :cool:

My belts came due this month, and I decided to finally upgrade my jacket to two layers at the same time (now that the carbs are in front of me), before some tech calls me on it. I had to move the fuel pressure gauge farther away from the exhaust, and delete the adjacent filter, but should be good to go now. 'Til whatever the next item they don't like turns out to be, that is. :rolleyes:

Also got a nice new Coleman sunshade, but will likely just use the trailer for this single nighter as Kay's not coming along. We'll certainly pack it along for Eagle in a couple weeks though (already have the 'Brick signed up for that one too).

Sure hope I have a handle on that damn points problem. Sounds good here at home, but the strip'll tell. ;)

28. bobw

bobw

Good luck at Barona, Dick. Looking forward to the video.

Pointswise, you could bring an MSD box along and hide it under the cowl.:D

29. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Barona = bitchin'. :D
    Excellent weather, day, strip, crowd, cars, racing, friends. :cool:

Well, Kiddies,

Can you tell I had fun? :rolleyes:
    The 'Brick ran great, I set new 1/8th mile numbers, the points problem's history, and the eternally breaking Spec clutch self destructed for the final time (not blown up, but the pressure plate jammed itself into the can solidly). I was unable to stage for a sixth run, as the clutch wouldn't disengage, so that was it for the day.

Still, I got in five runs, and remembered to video four of'em. One of'em I staged with a really sharp little silver Bantam altered with a real frame under it. Can you say "old school"? The track photog took a shot of the two of us at the line that I'll post up soon as I buy the rights.

The only race I was matched up with someone close to my e.t, and won, was the one I forgot to video of course. The rest of'em I was blown out of the water soundly. It was great! :D

Here's the link to the video album from the meet. The first one is over 8 minutes long, as it's from my pit, all the way through staging, the race, and the (gorgeous) return road, back to my pit. The rest are just the races.
    Enjoy. :cool:

30. bobw

bobw

Man, that looks like so much fun. What a great setting for a drag strip.
    A couple questions:
    Do you spin on the line because of the water box leaving moisture in the treaded tires?
    How much improvement would you expect if you geared for the 1/8 mile?
    What is your red line?
    How much do you think the short individual exhaust stacks cost you in e.t.?

I love your car and the videos are great. Congratulations on setting new 1/8 mile personal records. Sure sounds like it is running well.