Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Lincoln 3 piece rear window?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1949 mercury, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Will a 1950 lincoln rear window work to replace a 1949 Mercury rear window? Not chopped, just a straight stock swap?

Reason why i am asking is, i have a 1949 Mercury with a 1 piece window & a guy has a 1950 lincoln 3 picece rear window for sale on Craigs list.

Thanks for the help

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  2. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I think it will work, the Lincolns share the same body style as the Mercurys from the firewall back. Larry

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it is the smaller Lincoln it might, they share the same body with Mercury. The big Lincoln Cosmopolitan is completely different.

You could measure them, or trace a pattern off your old window.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Yes if it's from a baby Lincoln, no if it's from a Cosmo.

5. Ok thanks. Just talked to him & it's from a cosmopolitan.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. So if i chop my 1949 Mercury how would this Cosmopolitan 3 piece window look in there?

7. F-head

F-head

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

yep what he said ^^^^

9. And my understanding is the 3 piece in the Merc and the Lincoln was only 1949.
    And not the whole year either. Later '49's had a one piece.
    Well according to my complete set of manuals/part books anyway.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Back when cars had 2 piece or 3 piece windshields or rear windows it was a popular customizing trick to change to a 1 piece for a smoother look. Never heard of anyone going the other way. If this answers your question.

11. Squablow

Squablow

I've had two '50 baby Lincolns and both had the 3 piece rear window, I think it was only the Mercs that switched over to the one piece in late 49.

The Cosmo rear window looks like the Merc one but is way bigger, I think it would look awkward in a chopped Merc.

12. Ok Thanks. I just want to put the 3 piece in there because thats what the 49's had. I guess it doesn't matter to much, but it's out so why not.

13. Squablow

Squablow

I've heard guys will cut down windshield dividers to make jail bars for a '50 rear window. The outer trim is the same 49 and 50. Not sure if they're buying new 3 piece glass and gasket to do it, or just making overlays, but apparently it's been done and is convincing, even if just for the look.

14. Ok,thanks for the replies. I will look into just getting the trim pieces for the look, sense I already have the back glass.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!