Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gene Winfield and his Abbottsford BC Work

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Fortunateson, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Does anyone have any pics of the work done this past weekend by Gene Winfield and Tatoo Larry at the Abbottsford car show? They were chopping a couple of cars. I never know if the work ever gets completed.

2. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

I think you mean VooDoo Larry.

3. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Is this what your looking for?

Attached Files:

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

I think Gene chopped another car while Larry did this tudor

5. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Your correct, i don't have pics of the other.

6. fryguy

fryguy

There's more than a handful of 39-40 Merc sedans being chopped at the moment.

What was Gene chopping while Larry was chopping this one?

Fryguy

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

After seeing his arms and the "sleeves" I changed his name. Gene was doing another '50's Merc. I just waned to see if the cars where finished or not.

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for the pics. I was really wondering about the 39-40 Merc. That trunk is going to be a real bugger to make it flow nicely. There is a similar car in Surrey all done and I believe a chop like that just ruins the lines without hope of redemption. Not everything should be chopped. Of course that's my opinion and others are welcomed to be wrong! LOL

9. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I talked to larry a few weeks ago and he said this car would be a challenge due to the trunk, the guy does amazing work, but with limited tools and in two days at a show, you cant expect perfection, im sure it will need further finishing to look decent.

I agree some cars just look bad chopped, this one definitely needs some work in the rear, but im no expert, im sure if i tried this the car would be ruined and worthless.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. LKR

LKR
    from Australia

I think these photos might be what you were after - the guys at Classic Customs and Hot Rods http://classiccustoms.ca had the opportunity to help Gene out and obviously learned a bunch with the Merc chop.
    We are the only custom and hot rod shop in downtown Vancouver so if there are any members from Vancouver on here give us a call on 604-428-4390 for a nice HAMB discount on any work undertaken.
    Not soliciting work just putting it out there for HAMB members :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. vwboop

vwboop

Unlike the coupes, I would agree ...there's nothing wrong with the lines on a stock 40 sedan, but still these cars look so good as kustoms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Larry was multi-tasking at the show chopping, striping, signing autographs, and even playing bass with Six Gun Romeo. I think Larry, the Kingsmen Car Club, and the others who jumped in to help did a great job in the time given. Larry is a friend of ours and has already spent a full day working on the car since the show. He plans to spend another day on it before he heads back to Chicago. It's actually coming together really nicely. I'll post a few more pics as we progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Both those Mercs kick ass! It is a handful to do one of these chops at a show. I helped Larry and Gene on one a few years ago and we ended up using coat hanger to weld the rest of it. Very limited on tools and time.

13. koolkemp

koolkemp

Larry and the boys really nailed the profile on that Tudor, it looks great!

14. great chop on both cars!

15. TomP64

TomP64
    from Vancouver

It's amazing to watch Gene work and consider most people that have reached his age are in nursing homes.