Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 34 Comes Home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasserfreak, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Haven't posted on here in a long time, but with getting out of the military, moving back to So-Cal, Working Two Jobs, and having Two active Projects. I haven't really had a lot of time to peck at the computer.

Enough of the Bullshit, for the first time in over 15 years I finally made the decision to bring my 34' home after it being in storage through out my military career, and keeping it a friends house to work on it since I've been back in CA.

First a little history, Well at least as much as I know:
    In the late 60's or early 70's my friend Lance(my Dads best friend since the 70's) traded a hot rod model A with a SBC plus he thinks it was about $500 cash for this car in original, but not running condition off of Stick City Car Lot. and proceded to make an "old timey" hot rod out of it. he pulled the seized 21 Stud and 34 trans out and Dropped in a 59A Dressed to the hilt with Navarro Speed Parts and a 39 Trans. Bought all the used 40 Ford parts for a Juice Brake setup off Harold Looney(sp?) of Vintique fame, and had all the patch panels hand built and leaded in by the De Lays(sp?) when the were doing concourse restorations before the Boydstardome days, then proceded to drive this car for several years to follow.

Now comes the part of how this car became a full fledged member of our family. After several years of coersion(nagging) Lance finally decided to let go of his favorite set of wheels, but only for a specific very cherry 34' sedan. After a few horse trades one of which included the 56' Ford my dad built from the ground up the 34 was ours, this was around 1982. Fast forward to June 1994 after growing up with this car in my life, including being the first car I drove, my father passed away from a severe heart attack, but about 2 years before he passed, the old Ford was once again getting tired, and started to be tore down to include beginning the chop and selling the flathead speed equipment(bummer) to finance a faster SBF that was to go in it. After his passing the car was put into storage simply for the fact that the thought of it was such a bummer, hey its not easy for a kid to loose his dad at 15.

Anyway, its back out of storage, and on the road to recovery. Sorry for the long winded post. this car is very special to me and I just wanted to share our story together.

Here she is back in the mid 1980's(can you tell by the wheels)
    [​IMG]

The day I dug it out of storage, I threw some take off wheels and tires off Lances 56' to move it around the yard
    [​IMG]

My step dad helping me get it off the trailer today, and a couple more before we downloaded it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Guts, Original Seat Donated by my friend george, Thanks again Boss
    [​IMG]

The Running Flathead donated by my friend Earl since mine was siezed, Thanks Earl
    [​IMG]

The Doors, NO, not the ones with Jim Morission
    [​IMG]

Playing with some caps and rings, and a Frogs Mouth before she goes to bed
    [​IMG]

Snug as a bug in a rug, Good night old friend
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading my story.

Drew

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. Awesome, that's so cool that you still have it! You so often hear " I sure wish I still had that .......... that I sold back in ........."

3. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Awesome man! That car is cool.

Arent you the one I talked to when I got my SBF valve cover spacers a while back?

4. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Yeah, man, did that work out for ya. I changed jobs before the deal was done, but I just started working at HR&CS again on Saturdays. Lemme know if I can Help

Drew

5. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Are you kidding, my wife already agreed that when I die she will have me creamated and welded shut in the ashtray:D

Drew

6. What a beauty. Many of us would consider that car as finished the way it is now. Takin' it out for a spin Sunday morning ???

7. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Other than the fact that I Still need to chop the doors to match the top, and finish the door wood, It's roadworthy. After those small items are adresses, It will be bombing around north san diego.

Drew

8. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

droolin, really nice car...

9. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Yeah worked great. Thanks!

10. 2-TONED

2-TONED

that is GOOOD stuff!
    i thought (before i read it, but looked at the pics) you "UNCHOPPED IT"
    nice car & its a DeLuxe to boot. thanks for the peek!

are the garnish mouldings chopped yet? do you still have the pieces cut from the roof?
    might be easier to UN-chop it than finish chopping the doors. --EITHER WAY ill take a 34 3 window chopped or not chopped .....................

11. Ramblur

Ramblur

Cool car,Cooler story. Keep us posted.

12. Chuck R

Chuck R

Great story, that is a bitchin ride. looks like most of it is there, you will be on the road in no time. Keep us up to date on this one.
    chuck

13. Clark

Clark

It's really nice that you still have the car and hopefully it gives you good memories of your father! Keep us updated.
    Clark

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Now that's a great story, and a great car. the best part is when you get it done your dad will be right there riding along with you. Just remember to glance over once in awhile and have a chat with him while your driving along.:cool:
    Keep us posted on this one.

Frank

15. NealinCA

NealinCA

Neat story. Neat car.

Amazing that it made it through the 80's with early Ford drivetrain still intact.

That's a keeper for sure!

Neal

16. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

That's a great car. Wish I had something so complete when I started on my 3 window. Keep us posted on your progress.

Attached Files:

17. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

Awesome.

That thing is just awesome.

18. The Lone Wolf

The Lone Wolf
    from Malta

great car mate she looks the mutts nuts.
    wish my old man had such a cool car ;)

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

Great car,...... it must be like a 2" chop,.... great proportions but you have to look twice to see it's chopped,..........

20. Dirty2

Dirty2

Very nice. Cool story and picts.

21. drew,
    somehow that car was meant to stay in your family. way cool car and a neat story. theres just something about an old hotrod and its story, timeless.
    Al.

22. singledownloop

singledownloop

I hope you put it back shiny to do it justice

23. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

No answer from "Gasserfreak" via PM. Anyone know the status of this ride?

This was a great story, and a great inspiration for me..

24. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Sorry about that, haven't been on much, and havn't been messing with old cars too much, since the wife got sick(minear's disease). Just in the past month or so, I've been able to spend a little more time in the garage. I got some wood, and started hanging the doors. Thats about it. I'll update the post with the pics once one I have somthing to be proud of. Thanks for the interest, it means alot.

Drew

25. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Great car ,You had me worried you didn't have the doors .They aren't cheap ,Good luck with your build .

26. magec mike

magec mike

Thanx for sharing. Anything of Dads is a treasure. Every time you turn a wrench youll be hearing him telling ya how to do it and thats priceless. You wont need luck on this car, cause you got a whole lot of love going in. And by the way, thank you for serving, and protecting me and my family.
    God Bless

27. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    from Illinois

15? I feel your pain lost my old man at 18 cool story.

28. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Very cool car .

29. sololobo

sololobo

Congrats on being out of the service, thanx for doing your part! The coupe is ass kickin, rock on brother. Nice to see a flatty in the hole! ~sololobo~

30. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Kinda neat to see this back up after all this time. Thanks. I've been trying to get back on the road here. Check out the build thread in my signature.