Register now to get rid of these ads!

Nothing earth shattering, but it's fun... 51 Chev

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinner13, Sep 23, 2006.

1. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

Well, I have been lurking a while and haven't really posted to much, just trying to read all the info on here.
    So I figured you guys might be bored and need a laugh, so here is my latest project.
    After a 10 year hiatus of building cars (mostly GM Muscle cars), I got the itch back a few months ago (not a std itch either) and this sort of came up.
    Wanted to do a low buck build, so I am sticking with the stock motor and drive train, and if I end up liking it, then
    perhaps I will do a motor etc.
    Anyhow...this is it..1951 Chev 100% original no cobbed wiring or anything...sitting since 1963, last owner died and the wife didn't drive.
    So instead of selling it, or learning to drive, she decided to store her record albums in it.
    From what I was told, over 1800 records were housed in the car from 63 to present.
    Had a friend pick it up in Tennessee on his way through, got here, we rolled it off the trailer, stuck the typical
    points,rotor,cap,wires and a coil in it and low and behold...it started...and and stayed running...matter of fact..it idles better than my
    daily drivers do....
    This past week, I rebuilt the braking system and installed a new gas tank and lines, rebuilt the carb and took it down the street
    for a test drive.....no kidding, other than the bad tires, I could drive this thing today...but I will have to wait till middle of
    the week for my insurance cards.....
    So plans include, air bagging it, wide whites, and some interior work, and color to be determined at a later date..I have some ideas, but...that's the least of the work....

I will post the "finished" product hopefully in the spring

So here it is....in all its glory.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. You're a punk!! A fricking lucky punk. :D That green color is my jealousy.

Great score, looks like a real solid place to start. Did you get to keep the records too?

3. thekid54

thekid54

Wow, I'm jealous! That's so cool man, good luck with the project!

4. Gerg

Gerg

congrats that car looks pretty damn clean for sitting for that long.

5. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

Well actually someone sprayed over the Fathom green with a rattle can green....but it don't look half bad ;)

And no, all I got was the title to the car...singed but not dated...

6. It's the vinyl records off-gassing that preserved it.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If it runs that well, just split the manifold and put duals on it for the time being. It'll make 92 horsepower sound like 400.

8. What about that white (?) one behind it without the front fenders on it, what have you got back there? :rolleyes: Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

9. Mutt

Mutt

Wow! I learned to drive in one just like that. Except it was grey. And a DeLuxe. And had a clock.......:D

Nice score.....

Mutt

10. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

Yup, that's the plans...was going to go with the Fenton Headers, but then read a little about doing the split and like that idea better...
    I used to go fast back in the day...so low and slow will work for me....for a while ;)

On edit..the speedo say 42,534......and from the lack of wear on the pedals and steering wheel...I may believe it..

11. BadLuck

BadLuck

Cool car and cool story. Have fun and post pics of your progress.

12. I like it....bag it and I wouldnt change a thing :)

I love those years of chevy's

13. v8minor

v8minor

Your a very lucky man to have a rust free project , my 50 had a few holes in it LOL
    [​IMG]

14. Tom C

Tom C

Reminds me of mine. Don't think mine was ever full of records though.

[​IMG]

15. Slide

Slide

Right on man! You don't see a whole lotta the Specials in that great of shape.

29 Tudor-- I'm planning to get new tires on my 52 tomorrow, now you got me thinking inchwalls!

16. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Looks good! Great find, I agree with Chopped50 I wouldn't change a thing, except some lowering blocks, instead of bagging it. Just keep fresh oil in that ol 216 and it'll run for you. If your keeping the inline, www.inliners.org will give you some information and links.

17. sinner13

sinner13
    from Buffalo NY

Thanks guys...not the coolest find, but it will keep me busy over the winter.
    My last years project (bike) only took 3 weeks...left me with way to much time to yell at the snow ;)