Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 Willys Coupe Chassis Rail Specs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by race_hemi, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Hi, has anyone got a pic (specs would be even better) of a 40 - 41' Willy's chassis from side on? I want to build a set of 'stockish' looking rails for my car so they 'look the part' for running a straight axle. I've looked at pictures on here but couldn't find any specs for reproducing a pair. A side on pic with the height of a chassis rail give me something to go off ... I'd scale and see what it looks like.

I'm in NZ and it's hard to get info. Does anybody know of a site that's got any drawings or something?

There's a Hotrod shop hover here advertising aftermarket rails but they reckon they wouldn't fit the body I have due to it not being one of their's. (Not in those words but I got that impression) Plus they want big money for them. I've got a MIG and Plasma and can fab, but it would help if I had something to work/go off to start me off in the right direction.

Damn! I didn't figure on this when I tossed the tube chassis idea out cause I wanted a nose bleed car :eek:

Help!

2. Sign up on Gassermadness.com Someone there will have it. Just sold my willys coupe to cadillackid here on hamb, you might pm him. Maybe he will be pulling the body soon. My 40 willys sedan is back on the frame, but the doors are still off & no floorboard. I have total access to that frame, but wouldn't be able to make a template off the side of the frame rail due to the body mounts & stuff. But, I could get you some nice measurements of it off a tape. Let me know. Carl Hagan

3. Fossil

Fossil

PM sent to you...I have some shots that might help. It's up on stands now that the season's over...so I can go under with the tape measure if you need a dimension.

-Scott

4. Carl, thanks for the offer mate. I'll get my ass over to Gassermadness and have a look around. The sort of measurements I'm after are attached to this reply (somewhere) I'd appreciate it if you could put me in the ball park with a couple of measurements. Cheers.

Fossil, sent you a pm mate. Thanks for the offer :) Ta.

Attached Files:

5. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

37 thru 40 frames are pretty much the same. 41 and 42 frames are a little different. Being that they are wider in the rear section. Decide which style of willys frame you want to go with and If you cant find a coupe in NZ to look at , just find a sedan as it is the same . Even most of the Aussie made willys imported a USA made complete chassy to build their bodies on. Getter done !!!!!

6. violet springs

violet springs

Here is a drawing of an original 1941-1942 Willys frame that I made. I was going to make a frame for my coupe, but bought a 1939 Willys sedan frame instead.
    [​IMG]

7. Weasel

Weasel

1941/42 frames widen out 2" from the kickback - that drawing would be more like a 1937-40 style.

8. violet springs

violet springs

37/40 frames measure 45-1/2" across the rear framerails,
    41/42 frames measure 47-1/2", and the 41/42 side profile is completely different than the 37/40 on the front and rear. I just measured the 39 frame on my coupe and it measures 45-1/2"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

nice info, violet springs.

you Hot Rod sicko!

10. fitzee

fitzee

Going to keep this info on file.cool

11. solid

solid

Good stuff...

12. NOI53Y

NOI53Y

Sorry to drag this back up but will a '41 body fit on the earlier 37-40 chassis.

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Interesting stuff guys

14. Hello i can only speck of what i found, i have a 1938 sedan and was told that the cars are a lot a like well after i spent the time to box a 1940 sedan frame and when i put my 38 body on it it was to long and to wide. I have since found a 1937 frame and it fits my body so from my finding there is a difference so do take the time to make sure things fit right down to the last mounting point and even the length of your front clip the 40/41/42 is longer then the 37/38 as far as the 39 that i can' answer.