Register now to get rid of these ads!

snubber on a 4 banger rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just plain Bill, Oct 28, 2007.

1. I have made references to a snubber on an "A" rear end. I have a couple of photos to show here a snubber is located. I used to have a Halibrand manual from speedway that showed a snubber in the later V8 quickchanges. In a discussion I had with Vic King " Midnite Oil " he said they had put a snubber in the rear end on their dragster to keep the ring gear from pushing away from the pinion, this being the weak spot on the "A"rear end. The one I made is out of bronze and I give less than .005 clearance. When the ring gear pushes away the pinion will try to climb the ring gear and break the casting. This is where most model "A" halibrands will show traces of welding

Attached Files:

2. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Interesting, Bill. Have you got any internal pics?

3. No, i did not take any. I made the welded bung a tight fit so it would stay aligned when welded.If you look close you will see that it is below center as far as where to place it.

4. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

5. Thanks for the pics.

I saw you mentioned it in the other thread and was curious.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Really neat tech. Many mid sized trucks, including 3/4 ton and up early Fords, have just such a device--one of those might be a good donor for adjuster bolt already tipped with bronze. Champ type QC's based on the 3/4 ton Ford rear also have'em...sensible way to stop parts from moving around in the wrong directions.

gas pumper likes this.