Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wrecked my coupe......kinda!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5wbomber, Nov 25, 2007.

1. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

so i was drivin down the road 30 min ago and all of a sudden, BANG!BANG!BANG! BANG!BANG!BANG!!! i stop to see my driveshaft and both wishbones dragging on the ground, i think the bones snapped and caused the rear end to shift and snap the driveshaft, the fenderwells were really tweaked(rear end slamming it) were the wishbones broke on both sides there is rust on the fractured line(might of been ready to break for a while sorta thing) but damnit now i gotta fix everything, figured id show ya'll................twisted some stuff too...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Look how it twisted the front mounts:eek: :eek: :eek:
    [​IMG]

2. sledish

sledish

You always gotta look at it as, It could have been worse.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

that does not looooook fuuun!!!!

4. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow flex fatigue.....you are very lucky.....that is a great example of those old rear bones were not made to flex.....I am glad you are OK and you are a good man for showing that for others.

5. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

i am lookin at it like it coulda been a lot lot worse, but im still laughing about it..................(all you can do about it at the moment) and be very thankful

6. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I guess that's why people say you shouldn't run split '36 bones?

7. Rusty

Rusty

Another good reason why split wishbones on the rear are a no no. Glad you and the coupe is okay, This could have been bad. Now get to work fixing that baby

Rusty

8. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Is that the same as a Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang?

Ouch!!!!

HellRaiser

9. TimDavis

TimDavis

Those aren't '35-36's.

Again, those bones were never meant to be radius rods, only support the torque tube, and this is what happens.

10. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

That's to bad, when things go funny shit happens. It all can be fixed. time & money . Keep us posted Ol Deuce.

11. Outlaw Bender

Outlaw Bender

Thats a good reason of NOT split the wishbone.

12. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

"Traditional" break.

13. Split 'bones on back are basically Ladder bars.

Sooner or later,something has to give.

14. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

ya but i have to run a 4 link or latter bar setup if not split wishbones...... they suck........ any cool traditional rear setups will be cool if you have any ideas for me.... my mind is kinda blank right now...hahah

15. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Your not the first one that has had that happen.

I know several cars that guys have used stock Ford wishbones on the rear that this has happened to.

They arent made to work as a locating bar... Be sure this time to Re~Do them with a Ladder bar set up with locating points at the top & bottom of the housing.

I know alotta guys will contest what i said, But this the EXACT reason i switched & went closed drive in the "T" Roadster.

And the reason the "A" Sports Coupe has early style Ladder bars from an old Drag car.

I may not be Famous or H.A.M.B Approved.... But if ya have questions Jordan, I'll try and answer any questions you may have.

ADD'd ...... You already have a Small Block & open drive in it, So do an early style Ladder bar triangulated to a cross member
    and you will still be in the realm of TRADITIONAL due to the late engine, trans & rear end

16. Put it back the way it was.

Call it "traditional" every time it breaks.

17. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

That sucks! Hope you get it sorted out and back in action quickly.

18. Dirty2

Dirty2

I ran a 4 link under my tudor with the bottom links bones. They were starting to bend a little , but I raced it a lot . Most people didnt know it was 4 linked .

19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

You used THOSE bones!?!?
    They aren't the bones you can safely use...they just brace the torque tube/banjo joint from road impacts in the original configuration.

Were they the only things you had holding the axle or did you also have a torque arm?
    What size bolts hold them to the rearend?

20. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Thats some GOOD advice there, Maybe next time it will break while hes at the Drags or maybe at 70mph on the Freeway.

21. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

He's just being sarcastic...not serious.

22. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

hey rick could you email a couple pics for me?? thanks man im gunna start tomorrow first thing on it...... [email protected] thanks man

23. I agree. You can put a four-bar set up on it and tuck it up inside the rails so it isn't as noticable. Cruzr just fixed his on his Coupe. Split wishbones don't allow the rear to twist,like entering driveways and turning. I saw a guy who mounted his wishbones with heim joints then put top triangulated bars on top,like a fourlink. So it looks like split wishbones,but it's actually works like a fourlink.

24. well can it be fixed? or are you just gonna sit on the "IM A VICTUM" shit?? glad you made it thru your trama and i really didnt see anything that couldnt be fixed ,, but as long as you are alright!!its all good..

25. myke

myke
    from SoCal

26. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Glad to hear your all right!!!..............This is a good time to mention...........every so often........put the hotrod up on jack stands and go over every nut and bolt and do a good overall visual on everything. Living in Ohio, I use spring time as my main check, but I crawl all over mine all the time since I try to break it at the Dragstrip...........You may have not caught that..but you may have seen the evidence?you never know......Good luck with the fix, Littleman

27. Anderson

Anderson

Are the ends of those bones forged or just cast?

28. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

of couse im gunna fix it, thats easy, im just warning all the others with old split bones..............not a good idea.....and no im not being a bitch saying "im a victum"........just warning you.