Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gave the Barn 'Bird a bath!!! yahoo!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIGREDTODD, Aug 16, 2008.

1. For anyone who didn't see the first thread dragging the '56 T-Bird out of the barn last Wednesday, here it is...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286560

There were a couple of hours this morning when I was able to give her a bath. Paint needs a light rub down, has a lot of build-up from sitting in a dirt floor barn, but at least I dont get dirty standing next to it anymore. Can't really see how much muck washed off, and how much more needs to be polished, but trust me it cleaned up A LOT!:eek:

The old Firestones even look pretty sharp now!:D

The before pictures can be seen in the original thread...

Here's a few after shots. Sorry about the shadows, the light wasn't very cooperative...

Thanks for looking!

Todd

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  2. Guess I should show some pictures of the interior, was kind of hard (and shameful) to see the filth in the interior...you wouldn't believe the rodent shit everywhere. But, as I expected it cleaned up fabulous!

Seriously, it was a mess...this is about 3 hours of work, with probably 2-3 left until it's right...

Again sorry about the shadows:

Attached Files:

3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Pretty! You gonna get rid of the spare tire?

4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

nice find ,and work. when I get a old new to me car, a clean up is first hand.

5. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

oh lord thats awesome!

6. I'd like to put a '55 back bumper on it with no conti' kit, but all the parts are "in a box somewhere", and my wife really likes it...we'll see.

The back bumper need's to be rechromed too, but I love how the exhaust exits at the corner...

7. bitchin ride , she cleaned up great!

8. Oh yeah, a little degreaser and elbow grease helped in the engine compartment, too:D

Attached Files:

9. Ramblur

Ramblur

I recall a story in the Edelbrock biography book "Made in the USA" about
    Vic jr crashing the Tbird that they used for development. Its a cool read.

10. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The two details where I think Ford stumbled on the '56 Bird were the porthole top and the Conti kit. You have the opportunity to be rid of both!

12. Wish I could get that geeked about mine...

13. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I am soooooo jealous

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Astoundingly sexy.

15. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Beautiful! Clean, simple, and classic.

16. If the caps and front bumper were on it, I'd think it just rolled of the dealer's lot in 56. You are one luck SOB!!! :)

17. belair

belair

It's hard not to be a hater. What an awesome find. Congrats!

18. ST. 515

ST. 515
    from TEXAS

Just Awesome!

Saint

19. striper

striper

That came out of a barn with rats living in it?

20. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

What's the history on it? With the Tri-power, chrome fan shroud and chrome air vent box, it wasn't just a stocker.

-Brad

21. stretch 1320

stretch 1320

Looks good from here dude!

22. Dont get me wrong, the paint definitely needs some polishing work and it's far from a show car, but I'm still loving it! The front bumper is on my uncles living room floor (rechromed) and the back will have to be rechromed. And the caps will be here soon...

I didn't get a shot of the passenger side of the seat or carpet area, but there was a piss stain and shit spreckles that covered most of the white insert on the bottom, and the carpt was black with rodent shit...just lucky they didn't chew wires or eat the cushions...

Check out the other thread (link in post #1) to see the barn (shed, really) it came out of.

No, it wasn't...chrome oil pan too, BTW. Check out the other thread for a few details about the history...

23. slammed

slammed

Whoooo-wee. This car is drooler material.

24. Mercury Snake

Mercury Snake

A guy found one in a old abandoned chicken house in a little town near me about 10 years ago but all the ammonia from the chicken crap had rusted it all to pieces.

25. Pretty sure it has a cam...'56 dog-dish caps are on the way...I think it already has some old Smithy's on it...

Top on is my preferred look, but at 6'6" I may hold some sort of record for big guy in a little car...:rolleyes:

Probably going to spend a weekend with some light polish and cotton diapers after I get her back running. The good news is, I have brake pedal pressure, so the brakes hold promise...

26. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Fire that bitch up!..get in and go for a drive.
    nice find

27. I don't suppose any of you fellas have put a '55 rear bumper on a '56 Bird, have you?

28. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I have seen several 55 bumpers put on the 56 in my years. I can't recall right now if that section between the bumper and body is detachable or not. But of course if its not you'll have to cut it off. ouch.
    I'm not the biggest fan of the 56 and the conti kit. BUT I'll say this if you've got one and its complete it will bring GOOD money as a parted piece OR it will definately make your 56 worth more to sell.
    do what you need to.

29. Been really busy at work, and working mostly on the mechanical side on the Barn 'Bird. Things checked of the list:

• *Gas tank boiled out and reinstalled
    • *Master cylinder rebuilt, flushed/bled brakes
    • *Flushed cooling system
    • *Bought a correct pair of exhaust manifolds
    • *Moved the seat back 4" (I am 6'6", it's cramped:rolleyes:)
    Still need to:

• *Replace belts/hoses (not bad, just general principle)
    • *Figure out a more cosmetic and 'hot rod" method of plumbing the lines to the tri-power
    • *Do a shake-down run before the weather turns to shit

I finally put the front bumper, caps/rings on, as well as the front bumper...kep forgetting to grab a set of the pesky screws that hold the missing grill trim on...

I dunno about dealer's lot, but it looks a lot more like a car now:

[​IMG]