Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 50 Merc mild custom. Driveway style!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by UnIOnViLLEHauNT, Sep 14, 2008.

1. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Sort of a pointless thread about "look at the car in my driveway I'm working on". This belongs to my friend Edgar, also a HAMBer "Fermiumhalo" from Hillside NJ. Met him awhile ago and decided he wanted some things done.

All in all its a nice car, but had some seriously shoddy work done in the past. (IE ill fitting rockers placed over what was left of the rotted factory rockers w/ no inner rocker replacement)

Heres what we start with...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some serious rot behind the parking light area...

[​IMG]

So far, just fixed the hood...cut it out and found a similar contour on a junk fender. After some hammering and dollying it lined up pretty well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got rid of some trunk emblems...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shaved some door handles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lowered the stock tail lites, I love that look.

[​IMG]

And fixed that dreaded contour of the grill shell. Going to seam it up further after the hood is on. I aligned it prior and will finish to make sure its all flush later.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is teh rocker shot. The previous owner (one of em) I guess decided some inner rocker was better than no inner rocker! This is acually just HVAC galvanized crap bent on a 90 degree angle and bolted in! :D Its getting new inner rockers and Edgar already bought some Green Mountain outers. MAAAN those suckers are nice! You can see in the pic where the guy just beat the stock rocker (what was left) down with a hammer and brazed on some garbage replacement units.

[​IMG]

It's not my car but I kind of see this going as a late 50s kid-in-high-school who had some bucks type look. Its got some nice 57 Caddys and Coker wide whites going on it, as well as a flathead with 3 speed overdrive.

If anyone has a front seat for one of these, gimme a PM.

Well, thanks for looking!

2. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Car's lookin good Chris. Can never have too many Mercs cruising around

3. 50shoe

50shoe

nice work there playa.

panel replacement outside is a PITA, winter is coming.... :)
    Chris

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

Not at all pointless. Nice work and pics of your work. Thanks for posting.

5. Crease

Crease

Nice work, very clean

6. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

looking good chris! have you done anymore to yr merc lately? i finally got to play a little one the other day.

7. vein

vein

that car did have alot of rusty holes until you got a hold of it! hahaha! looks great good metalworking.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  8. Way to go in saving the Mercs. Nice work!

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

glad you posted the photos , someone in the cars past was a hack ,nice to see its getting fixed correctly

10. teddyp

teddyp

your work just gets better and better chris glad to see you saved another one

11. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

keep up the good work,,,save as many as you can,,,,,,,,,,

12. NIce work..You must have some nice neighbors.....unless you posted in the "Do your neighbors hate you post..."

13. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Lookin' good, keep up the nice work and keep us posted.

14. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

looking good .keep up the nice work

15. mikes51

mikes51

The back half condition of the that merc looks so much better than the front. It's almost as if it was backed half way into a shed and the front was left outside to rot.

I guess these are not the green mountain units. :)

16. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

Lookin good Chris! We need to start a "driveway customs" club.

17. looking' good unionville.

18. Gary DeVore

Gary DeVore

Damn...What was wrong with that previous owner? He even raised up the top!!!

19. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

Chris is the MAN!! Even though I have this twisted vision of what I want this car to end up as. Hes kept this project in perspectve... Still trying to convince him to keep the "top hat" in Flat black though :)

20. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

Looks great! I bought a pair of those outer rockers from Green Mt. too. I couldn't have built them quicker than it was worth buying them for.
    That was real nice of you to help your buddy! Now put Edgar to work helping you with yours! Trout

21. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

Hey everyone just wondering if anyone knows who makes that grill insert that continues the thin stock chrome split pattern? It basically eliminates the middle abrupt chrome ugly solid piece on a stock 1950 Mercury grill. Thanks in advance.

22. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

cal custom made them back in the 50s,,,they appear on ebay from time to time,,but usually go for some decent $$

23. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Man you have some skills, unionvillehaunt!!!!

Now, when do you get started doing the 2dr conversion?!? :D :D :D

24. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

Guess I'm gonna have to use the extra front grill to splice my own together :) UNIONVILLE is a BAMF!

25. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I just realized a few days ago that you wanted to do that grille. Stupid me filled the holes that the grill mounts to :( Didn't have much of a choice as the metal around those holes were garbage, so I just kept a cuttin and bendin!

Johnny1290, funny you mention that! That was the original plan but soon after bringing this to my house we found a house we wanted and started pursuing. It was a foreclosure and the paperwork for the loan has been a disaster (signed in May, Sept and still not closed yet!) so both projects sat for some time.

I figured put it back together in grey prime and maybe after we move in around November we could do a 2 dr conversion and chop then? :D But alas, it is not my car :D :D :D

26. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Glad you're saving another one Chris.....looking good so far.

Jim

27. Is that house by me?

Can you believe that I never got those Merc doors from that Hamber? I'm gonna catch him somewhere soon, even if he now lives in Japan.

28. Fermiumhalo

Fermiumhalo
    from Japan

I can still put that grill in I'll just use some self tapping screws... Ill take a measurement this weekend. See you then.

29. keep the pic's coming!

30. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Nice work hope to see it when it's done !