Register now to get rid of these ads!

My mopar cowl steering inspired by Dreadman

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratty55, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

Here's my take off dreadman's cowl steering setup he did for his A coupe. I'm using a 55 caddy column, so I won't be welding the column directly to the box, rather the caddy slides over the ugly oxidized aluminum piece with a clamp. I'll be making a new piece out of steel to replace the aluminum. Here's what i did for my flange.

I started by tapping the six holes with a 5/16 bottom end tap.
    [​IMG]

Then I found some allen head bolts and took measurements with a caliper and figured out the bolt circle and overall diameters awhatnots. Then I drew the part out on google layout (its a free trial version cad program from google). Printed it out 100% and there ya go! A pattern to make my flange off.
    [​IMG]

Then I test fit it and cut out the bolt holes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My extended pitman arm will be very similar to this, but instead of leaving the open hole, I'm going to internally tap it and put in a brass Model T radiator cap.
    [​IMG]

I'm staying after my machinist class Thursday to work on this project, so hopefully I can update you guys Thursday night. Let me know what you think. If anyone wants the steering box flange PM me and I'll send it to you. It's a google layout file, so you'll have to download google sketchup to view and print it off.
    Justin

2. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Cool, looks like it's going to work out great.

3. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

Here's a little update on my steering project. Doesn't look like many people were interested, but for the sake of reference, I'll finish what i started. Last Thursday I finished machining the steering column to box flange. I don't have any pics of it off the car, but here it is installed. It's a 60's-80's mopar steering box and a 55 cadillac steering column.

[​IMG]

This past Thursday I started working on the pitman arm extension. I had to make a fixture for holding the tapered spline piece I cut off the original pitman arm so that i could turn it round. It will be a press fit/weld inside the tube. Also milled some off each side of the nut so that it would fit in an 1 1/4 socket. I'm not sure what size socket it was supposed to fit, but 1 1/4 was very close. I only machined about .015 off each side. I wanted to have the T radiator cap threaded into the pipe, but it just didn't work out. Instead it's a slip fit that I'll secure with either a set screw or locktite. This is what I ended up with after all the machining was done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I just started my first semester at Linn Tech. I'm going into Machine Tool Technology. I'll be a NIMS certified machinist. Eventually I'll be working with CNC's and whatnot, but we first have to master the manual lathes. This is one of my first projects.
    Justin

4. Looks great, and I LOVE that table by the way :D

5. Harris

Harris

Keep the updates comming! I'll be doing this soon and need all the inspiration/ideas I can get!

6. Really good stuff. I'm thinking about something similar for my next project. Thanks!

7. slim53

slim53

Let's see a pic of what it's going in.

8. I have a similar arbor I made to hold the tapered "slug" as well. Works great!

9. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Interested to know what the steering box came from ???

11. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i like the pictures and how the steering box is coming along , cool tech article ,

12. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

14. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

You said 60's-80's mopar box. Can you narrow it down any more?
    Thanks, 34dodge

15. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

Pretty much any Plymouth/Dodge car made from the mid 60's to 79

Mopar Steering boxes

• 1976-1979 Dodge <st1:city w:st="on"><st1></st1></st1:city>
    • 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger <o></o>
    • 1966-1976 Dodge Charger
    • 1966-1976 Dodge Coronet <o></o>
    • 1966-1976 Dodge Dart <o></o>
    • 1966-1974 Plymouth Barracuda <o></o>
    • 1966-1970 Plymouth Belvedere <o></o>
    • 1970-1974 Plymouth Cuda <o></o>
    • 1970-1976 Plymouth Duster <o></o>
    • 1966-1978 Plymouth Fury <o></o>
    • 1968-1974 Plymouth Fury I <o></o>
    • 1968-1974 Plymouth Fury II <o></o>
    • 1968-1974 Plymouth Fury III <o></o>
    • 1972-1977 Plymouth Grand Fury <o></o>
    • 1967-1971 Plymouth GTX <o></o>
    • 1968-1975 Plymouth Roadrunner <o></o>
    • 1966-1974 Plymouth Satellite <o></o>
    • 1971-1976 Plymouth Scamp <o></o>
    • 1970 <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Plymouth</st1></st1:city> Superbird <o></o>
    • 1966-1976 Plymouth Valiant <o></o>
    • 1976-1979 Plymouth Volare <o></o>

16. Thanks for the info. I struggled with my steering system using a Vega box and '41 Ford Column. I didn't need to do any machining - luckly. You went the extra mile and really got creative! I like using the T radiator cap! Ya going to run the Caddy steering wheel? Send us more pics when the time comes...............

17. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Justin and Chris,
    I am a big fan of side steering and looking at both of your projects I am absolutely going with the mopar box in my next rod!! Nice work. Justin, hang in there at machinest school, not enough young guys are taking it up and it is a good profession!!

Rex

18. Thanks for sharing!!

Just bought my Mopar Steering Box, can't wait to install it in my truck!!

By the way: Got some new pics of your advance??

19. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

No updates yet. This weekend I'd like to cut the hole in the cowl. Then I'll be able to cut the pipe to length and design the downward arm. I'm using the ends i cut off my 35-36 rear bones. Then I'll 7* ream them for the ford tie rod ends. Pretty much exactly like Drive Em did on his track T
    [​IMG]

20. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

Last weekend I cut the hole in the cowl and determined how long i want the pipe to be.I cut it off and press fit and welded the splined slug in. Today I worked on it a little more after class. My school actually had a 2 inch roughing end mill. I fishmouthed the 1 inch down rod so that i can get a better weld. I also chucked the end of the 36 radius rod into the lathe and put the 7* taper to accept ford ball joints because I'm too cheap to spend $80 on a reamer I'll probably only use once. This weekend it will be all tig welded together and I'll be able to measure for my draglink.
    Justin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is what it should look like when completed. Pretty much identical to Driv Em's setup. I still have to cut the down rod to length. I'll have to wait till this weekend to figure out how long it needs to be.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  21. How about a detail shot of the part with the six holes in it?

22. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

I'll try and get ya a picture of it tomorrow.
    Justin

23. Take a look at the Thread Dreadman posted posted above (on page one)!!

24. I have seen that thread, I just wanted to see how "Ratty" did it.

25. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

Here's a shot of the column to box adapter. The finish on the inner tube is way messed up. I had the RPM's for the carbide insert WAY too low, but I'm learning. It all gets covered up with the column.
    [​IMG]
    I got a lot of work done on the pitman arm this weekend. I cut the rod to length and tacked everything together. Hopefully I can talk the welding teacher into finish welding it for me tomorrow. I was able to measure for my push/pull draglink and of course Speedway doesn't sell the length I need. I think I'll buy the weld in bungs and make my own. I'm really pleased with the way the radiator cap turned out. I think it looks good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let me know what you guys think.
    Justin

26. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

Looking good. Good luck on all the NIMS certifications, it's a challenge for sure. Especially since your probably using some machinery that gets crashed to shit once a week for the last 50 years, LOL. But that's part of it. I just graduated from Ranken tech. last year. Make sure you do the competitions (I can't think of whats it's called right now.) they are fun, A buddy of mine went all the way to the nationals. Make sure to make a ton of shit for your hotrod while your there!

27. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I have a '66 Cuda box for my side steering. I love seeing one more way to get it done. Kinda wish I wuz in school where I could use tools like that. Great job!

28. Tell us hoe you are mounting the steering box to the body/chassis. I understand this has to be pretty stout.

29. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

Yea, I'm not done reinforcing it yet. It still has alot of flex in it. I have to add more tubing and bracing. I made an inner tube framework very similar to what Dreadman did in his post. Oh, by the way, I'm not a hoe.

53Kustom you are thinking of SkillsUSA?? I probably should be involved with it, but I didn't do any votech in High School. So this is all new and I'm kinda behind the rest of the class in experience. I've already made a few things in class. I turned the headlight bolts on my 35 ford headlights to fit into a Model A headlight bar, made the flat plate and aluminum spacer to mount the steering box to the tube frame i built inside the cowl, and now this new pitman arm. I also made some new parts for my POS Harbor Freight press. This week I'm drilling holes in a later 40's ford axle and drilling my backing plates. It should be fun :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008