Register now to get rid of these ads!

- Anyone collect old tools? Show them here...

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by HRK-hotrods, Dec 1, 2008.

1. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

I found this old "Sprayit" airbrush compressor sold under the Sears name in the late 30's/early 40's at a yard sale. I restored it as it was too cool to leave looking shitty... Works well too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nice job on the compressor.I have several small compressors with spray guns that were used primarily as touch up guns.I collect vintage painting equipment.

Here are a few of my spray guns.Some are pretty bizarre like the Dupli-Color gun that has a diaphragm compressor that screws into a spark plug hole.Then you start the engine and it provides pressure to the gun.It also delivers vaporized gasoline to the engine compartment where a stray spark could turn the car into a self energizing bomb.Others run off the exhaust end of a vacuum cleaner or air pressure from a tire.

Attached Files:

3. A few more...............

Attached Files:

‘33chevNate and Okie Pete like this.
  4. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

That Art Deco design is so cool-looking!
    I want one of those!

5. [​IMG]

Old Milwaukee drill I found in a tool box I bought at a garage sale. Took it apart and stripped it down and repainted it. The torque in this thing will dislocate your arm if it snags. Awesome drill.

Okie Pete likes this.
  6. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

The oldest tool I own: 1905 Stockbridge Machine Co. 16" shaper.

[​IMG]

It's currently undergoing some restoration, as I have the time.

I also have a 1956 Logan lathe, a '50's Sheldon lathe, a '62 horizontal mill, a late '40s valve grinder, and a 60's pedestal grinder (3-phase, 2HP and 12" wheels, 2" wide. It's for sharpening the prow of icebreakers and knocking the rust off the Eiffel Tower. :D )

Doc.

loner1, Okie Pete and grumpy32 like this.
  7. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

I have 1 of these also have a milwakee drill like the one shown,and i have a Black and decker ac/dc drill i belive from in the teens and an old electric grinder all found in junk cars at the boneyard.(cept for the first one like above)

:cool:

8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I bought this just because it looked so cool. They had an eye for design!

9. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Some cool stuff... Hey Tommy, how much did you give for that gun? That's sweet. I will keep an eye out for one, would look good with the compressor... ;)

10. I acquired several old power tools a few years ago from my grandfather-in-law who worked as a tool & die maker for Chrysler. His father had close ties with the Walter P. Chrysler.

This is the only one I have pics of right now. Sears Craftsman lathe circa mid 1930's, I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  11. I have a whole collection of old tools, mostly automotive, that I am going to display some day....It all started out with a really old floorjack..now I am hooked....

12. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

The wife sez my tool is old.

13. jimmyv

jimmyv

I have a shop full of old tools I use.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  14. barney rubble

barney rubble

Atlas sprayer I have tried it and it works.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  15. Sorry to go a little OT, but I just got a cool old photo of the Great-Grandfather-in-law (top center, in the suit) that I referenced earlier. It was taken at an apprentice shop at the Dodge Main complex in Hamtramck, MI.

[​IMG]

16. Hey Jerry wheres your stuff???

17. Chad s

Chad s

I collect early snap on tools

Circa 1929 Master Service Set:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1931 5/8 drive Nut Spinner Set:
    [​IMG]
    Circa 1927-1929 Senior Service Set:
    [​IMG]
    Circa 1926 Junior Service Set:
    [​IMG]
    Circa 1928-1929 Super Service Set:
    [​IMG]
    Circa 1925 Super Service Set (restored box):
    [​IMG]
    What the above box looked like when I got it:
    [​IMG]
    Circa 1925-26 original hardware store dealers cabinet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is my 1932 South Bend 8" Junior:
    [​IMG]

mr57, VANDENPLAS, A 2 B and 3 others like this.
  18. Great stuff everyone!Chad;that is a fantastic collection of old tools.I had posted a picture of a tool box w/tools I had acquired awhile back.Looks a lot like the S-K box posted earlier.Here are a couple of pics along with some more vintage spray guns/compressors.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete and grumpy32 like this.
  19. The spray stuff including an early DeVilbiss AGA automated spray gun.

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  20. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

Old Grinder, belonged to my wife's grandpa.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

loner1, Okie Pete and grumpy32 like this.
  21. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Auction finds. The valve grinder works perfectly, and the Sun machine is complete, just needs a little cleaning. (Just got it)

Okie Pete and grumpy32 like this.
  22. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

1955 Univac Tape, Fingertip wrenches, Geared PlierWrench

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
    Okie Pete likes this.
  23. dragsternut

dragsternut

Hi, I was also wandering if a group was strarted for vintage tools and did not see one so I just started a social group named

"Vintage tools and tool boxes, test equiptment, garage equipment or what ever you are in to. "

I posted a few photos to get started, check it out and post whatever you like.

Best regards,

Dragsternut

24. dragsternut

dragsternut

sorry about the spelling , wondering

25. retromotors

retromotors

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just stumbled on this thread by accident - and doggone if I don't have one of these compressors too! Mine also has the metal base but missing the ID tag, so I had no idea who made it. Thanks for the info!

Think mine's a different vintage, too. Judging from the polished highlights, yours apparently has some aluminum in it's construction. Mine is all cast iron, and has the handle integral with the main casting.

Pretty much OT, but I was thinking about mounting it on the front of a '51 David Bradley 2-wheel garden tractor that's also in my collection of junque. The two styles complement each other real well, and the DB was available with an optional compressor, although of a totally different appearance.
    (No the pic isn't my DB ..... I wish!)

Great thread! Enjoying seeing everyone's treasures. Torque-Tube, those fingertip wrenches are too cool!

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  26. I just got a Craftsman / Sprayit air compressor for a great price. I'm thinking I should get some info on it before I fire it up- can anybody help? Are they made for airbrushes? Would it make a decent compressor to blow dust, chips, et cetera around? How many psi should it put out?

Thanks,
    Kurt

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  27. Kurt:
    I tried running an airbrush off one of mine and the problem is the air in an airbrush shuts off when the trigger isn't pulled.As the compressor doesn't have a vent the pressure builds up until the air line separates from the compressor.Too bad because it is about the right pressure for an airbrush.I suppose you could put a pressure relief valve in line.I would also put in some type of small moisture trap.I have a couple that were made for dental tool compressors.

28. alsancle

alsancle

I bought this for $150.00 from my Uncle Ted Billings who is known for having built the 10 Duesenberg Derham Touristers in the 1970s. His shop had two compressors and this was one of them. He had just had it rebuilt at a cost of 150.00 hence my purchase price.

When I was in high school I had it my head that the coolest thing in the world would be to have my own compressor. Of course I did all my work in the driveway or my friends chicken coop that we heated with a wood burning stove so I had no place to put one.

Anyway, I brought this home and with a few friends proceeded to push it into my Dad's tool shed. He came home and absolutely freaked out. In fact, I've never seen him that mad before or since. Basically, he thought I was wasting my money and that I would never use the thing. It would just sit taking up his valulable space. He already had a compressor which I used all the time so he was kind of right.

It sat in the tool shed for 15 years before sitting in my garage for 15 more. I'm going to be hooking it up for the first time this week. Notice that it still has air in the tank. The year of manufacture is 1947.

Attached Files:

29. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

ive got one of those. bolted to the wall in my garage.

30. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I have a collection of old Ford valve tools. Shown on my website on pages 4 & 5.

Jim