Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hamber's stranded in Gallup, New Mexico

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercDeuceMan, Apr 14, 2009.

1. The latest saga for Mike (Hoover) on the Hamb and Dustin (VonDust) on the Hamb is they are stranded with Mike's RPU about 10 miles outside of Gallup, New Mexico. Dustin just called and said it looks like Mike's RPU has a blown headgasket. That is the best case scenario. Worse case is it is something possibly more terminal.

They are going to have it towed to a hotel (location TBD) in Gallup and decide what to do from there.

Is there anyone here who is close to Gallup that might be able to help? Right now there are two thoughts.
    #1 is to fix the headgasket in the morning and trudge on back to Indy.
    #2 is to find a Hamber in or around Gallup who can store the car for a short time until arrangements can be finalized to bring the car back to Indy.

Thanks for anyone who might be able to help out these two young men.

MDM

2. Gerg

Gerg

bump for a stuck hamber

3. dam i wish i could help but im in albuquerque. but a bump for someone in need

4. Just talked to the guys and they have a tow truck coming for the car. tentively to take them back to Gallup.
    They will talk to the tow truck and see if he will deliver the car to Alburquere.

If they can get it to Alburquere I think they have a better chance at getting assistance if they need it.

When I know for sure where the car is going, I'll let everyone know.

Thanks,

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You have a place to store or work on the car there in Albuquerque?

6. yes i do, but it is not gated :(

7. i kind of live in a "bad" area

8. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Man, if you can get it to Tulsa I have a big shop and you can work on it or leave it or whatever, Wish I was closer!!

9. Bummer, the closest I can get is to El Paso on Monday. A sort of bad part of town, Albuquerque is probably better than a motel parking lot in Gallup, just guessing

10. here is my number so we can talk 5054403748 if i do not answer leave a message and i will call you back as soon as i can
    tom

11. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

dang...offer something besides one line excuses...

12. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I'm in the Albuquerque area also and can possibly lend a hand with repairs.
    I imagine a tow from Gallup to Alb is going to cost an arm and a leg from a towing company. If nothing else comes up I might be able to scrounge up a trailer but I wouldn't be able to head out of Alb until late Thursday afternoon.
    My # is 505.379.2532

Bobby

13. Update,
    The roadster is on a stretcher on it's way to Alburquere.

Dustin has made arrangements for a hotel for the night.

The plan is for the guys to pull the head when they get there and see if there is any other collateral damage. If not they will replace the head gasket tomorrow morning.

FlatErnie here on the HAMB has offered his help. Dustin is to call him on his cell with their ETA tonight.

If anyone has a shop where they might be able to work that would be great.
    PM me with the information or call me @ 317-710-5225

Ernie and Denise, Thanks for the support,

John

14. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Btt If they get it going and need any help coming through Tulsa, I have a trailer and a place to work.

15. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I have a bitchin idea!

contact one of the AZ guys on the way to the round up.
    they can either fix it at my place or any of the scads of other shops around here or stash it here in Austin and "hitch it" to thier location from here.

options...which involve seeing the best damn hot rod show in America, really god barbecue, and getting the rod on the road!

Lux

16. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

where were these boys headed to...or coming from?

17. metalman

metalman

Hey guys, I got a truck, trailer and shop in Albuquerque. Can I help?

18. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

19. banditomerc

banditomerc

looking better for these hambers,good luck..wish i could help!

20. Metalman has come to the rescue as well. The car, still on the stretcher, is on it's way to his garage right now.

THANKS EVERYBODY!!!

John

21. I know they would love to be able to do that but time is running out for them to get back to Indiana.

22. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

just talked to the boys and the prognosis isnt good. cracked block...more details as i get em

23. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Hate to hear that but it sounds like an adventure they will remember.

What motor is it? Anyone got a spare?

24. paintcan54

paintcan54

John, Fred C. if the boys can't get it going I have a trailer setting in my driveway you are welcome to use it, just let me know. The wife said if they don't get it going , and don't want to leave it why don't someone put a HAMB trailer relay together to get them and the car home ? As they do it for parts. Let me know if I can help in any way.
    Fred C.

25. Fred,
    Thanks for the offer. I'll have to see what it is they want to do.
    The most cost effective would certainly be a relay.
    Right now they are 1200 miles from Indy so having to go back to ABQ and get the car is the least desirable of all the options.
    We talked last night about having Mike try to rent a box truck this morning and bringing the car back today. That might not happen because of their ages and of course you can't really tell the rental company you are putting a car in their box truck.

Dustin wants to go to AutoZone/Pepboys and throw a crate motor in it today.

Again, I'm so grateful for the HAMB and those that have helped pull the guys out of the jam they were in last night.

26. Its a 350 SBC.

Yeah, we were joking last night saying they will be sitting in their wheelchairs in the nursing home some day ragging on each other about that damn VLV trip back in '09.

27. paintcan54

paintcan54

John, I'm off to work now, let me know if you need anything. I talked to a good friend of mine he said he was up for a road trip but maybe not all the way to New Mexico, as he has to work also LOL. Let us know if there is anything more we can help with.
    Fred C.

28. metalman

metalman

Motor is terminal, thats for sure, cracked block and one head. Both cracked in the web between 2 middel cylinders, never seen that before???

I do have a still in the wrapper rebuilt motor from a local shop here for a project we're building, I say we use it before an Auto Zone rebuild if they decide to put one in here

I also thought maybe we could do a HAMB relay to get the car home, I could do the first leg.

29. Suit

Suit

To get to Indy you'll probably pass through Joplin. Sounds like you might have enough expenses already so just call me and I'll comp a room at the Holiday Inn on I-40 for a night. ROB: 417-627-7802.