Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '60 Fury 2 door conversion finished pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Squablow

Squablow

It doesn't feel like that long ago, but apparently 3 1/2 years ago, I started a thread on making my '60 Fury 4 door sedan into a 2 door sedan. Here's the original thread if you want to see what it looked like and what I was doing to it.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78120

I stopped right where the thread left off, first because I found another parts car with nicer doors, then for a bunch of other excuses, and the car sat around unfinished. This week, I was in a grumpy mood so I took a few days off to finish the conversion.

The pieces I ended up using were baby blue, from a second '60 Plymouth parts car, so once I had it all together I gave it a very quick spray job in black so the new doors and quarters would match the old paint, at least somewhat.

I still have to do some sheetmetal work to the wheel openings and to the bottoms of the quarters, so I didn't do any filler work on the quarter yet, just ground my seam down somewhat and put some paint on it. Here's what it looks like now, after 3 days of work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what it looked like 4 years ago, when I was driving it. The stainless along the bottom is hiding a lot of rust, the driver's rocker is wasted, as are the lower rear quarters. But it looked nice from 20 feet.

[​IMG]

I stuck some trim back on the passenger side rocker to see what it'd look like, I like it a lot now that I can see it. I also have some trim that goes on the door pillars, gives it more of a hardtop look, but it's for a 4 door so I have to modify it and I haven't gotten that far yet.

Eventually I want to do nice bodywork and repaint the whole car black again, mostly stock, with all the trim and stainless on it, with some mild custom touches to it, but I'm considering putting some good tires on it and a seat back inside and driving it as-is for a while, since it still has a ways to go before paint and I have other projects I need to finish before I focus on this one.

Nailhead A-V8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

I remember the original thread, a few months ago I was wondering about it. Looks awesome. I love the big fin mopars.

3. nice job! went from "donor" to "owner!":D

4. The Shocker

The Shocker

Looks great .I always liked the winged ass Mopars .Nice work on the 4 to 2 conversion as well ...

5. Good start you need to buy my friends 56 coronet 4 dr

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Squawblow,

3.5 years ago I was sittin' on a '61 Fury 4dr. I saw your original build post and started thinkin', hummmmmm!!! I couldn't find any 2dr. quarters, and started thinkin I'd jus stretch the doors. I correctly figgured 3.5 years on, I'd still have it torn apart, scattered 'bout the shop, and sold it on. You actually took the ball and ran with it, good for you!

Did your '51 Merc sell at tax time?

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

7. Squablow

Squablow

The Merc did sell, I got what I wanted for it, 3 days before my taxes came due. I had other offers on it, all lower, I was getting nervous but I'm glad I held out because in the end I got what I needed to get.

I've got all the leftovers from the first '60 Plymouth I parted out which would work to convert your '61, although shipping would probably kill it.

I've seen guys do the stretched door thing, and I know it would work, but it's a lot more effort, especially when it comes to making the window regulators work and getting the door gaps nice. I know I spent a fair amount of time getting my gaps to look good, and I was using original parts.

8. Looking good Jon.

Max

9. rayford

rayford
    from calhoun ga

10. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

looks damn good

11. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

wow man,,,,,great job squablow!!!

12. Squablow

Squablow

FYI Rayford, that's not a '58 DeSoto front bumper on that car. It looks like a '60 Chrysler front bumper, and the fins look like '60 Chrysler as well. Maybe it was a '60 DeSoto that those pieces came from, they would be the same as the Chrysler.

I like where you're going with the front of that car, the Chrysler bumper looks good on there, and I like the canted quads, but I don't know if I'm feeling the trimmed off fins. That's what really "makes" a 60 Plymouth.