Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my 1950 dodge wayfarer rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50FREAK, Apr 25, 2010.

1. 50FREAK

50FREAK

got the car from my uncle & finaly got it almost how i want it[​IMG]
    how it looked when i got it
    [​IMG]
    workin on the air bag set up
    [​IMG]
    buildin a 2 link
    [​IMG]
    not too bad..
    [​IMG]
    layd out on the old wheels
    [​IMG]
    layd oun on the stock wheels

[​IMG]
    merc rings
    [​IMG]
    ring tacked in place

[​IMG]
    filler to blend the ring
    [​IMG]
    filler tacked on
    [​IMG]
    fully welded
    [​IMG]
    welds all grinded down
    [​IMG]
    all blocked down
    [​IMG]
    jams all done
    [​IMG]
    color change..
    [​IMG]
    home from gettin sprayed looks sooo much better than pink & red
    [​IMG]
    side view aired up white walls comin soon
    [​IMG]
    front view
    [​IMG]
    layd out with the new look all black frenched headlights
    [​IMG]

thanks for checkin it out!!!

let me know what you all think about my progress so far

P.S. istill plan to build a new frame so the body will lay all the way flat on the ground and ill get updated brakes in the process i also plan to chop the top a couple inches

2. 88daryl88

88daryl88

[​IMG]

Nice work... looks a LOT tougher than in pink & red.

3. 50FREAK

50FREAK

haha yea thats what i was tryin for

4. Lookin' good.

Is it still a flathead six, or what engine??

5. 50FREAK

50FREAK

yea its still a flathead 6 with a fluid drive trans (clutch & torque converter)

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like it; much better......

7. atomickustom

atomickustom

You're going to build a whole new frame so that it can sit an inch or so lower when you air down??
    I think the car looks good the way it is and I wouldn't go to that much trouble for such a small gain.

8. 50 Wayfarer 2 dr sedan is my favorite car, yours is looking good. The "black on black" really fits the car.

that said, why french the headlights and then NOT go any further? I see that it has the fender trim gone and the rear fenders welded, but what of the emblems, door handles etc?

9. 50FREAK

50FREAK

bildin the frame will drop the car a good 3" - 3 1/2" and also brake parts are so expensive for this car.. i Spent $750 to rebuild the brake system and the brakes still suck.. for 750 i could have built my frame & bought some PBR to quench my thirst while buildin the new frame... but those are future plans not for atleast a year or so... far as the trim and door handles go i just like the lil bit of trim probably shave the handles once i convert it to 12v

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

11. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

12. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

much better....looks good!

13. Very nice, the only thing I like pink is *cough* and prime rib.

14. el conejo 1964

el conejo 1964

looks great....(now change that avatar...my eyes is burnin!)

15. 50FREAK

50FREAK

i dont know if ill do skirts.. but i want to lower the wheel openings like 3-4" in back and 2" in front

16. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Looks much better, but you are going to paint it right?

17. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

It sure looks alot "better" than when you got it....as in more traditional. I dig it man....

18. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

Thanks for saving it hahahaha Looks WAY better.....i think some wide whites and shiny paint are in order though. Flat black never shows the lines as well.

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car looks great now!

How stiff is the ride with those ladder bars?

20. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Cool, I kinda think it looks cooler with the pink and red but that is only because the colors added to the body and it's lines and added something else to the over all car.

21. freebird101

freebird101

22. James Curl

James Curl

I did disc fronts on my 48 Plymouth which has the same spindles for under $500.00 using all new parts. I also used a 90 Dakota 3.55:1 rear axle and brakes. Most pick and pulls have the complete rear end for around $100.00 which gives you separate drums from the axles on the back. You have to change the spring perches but since you are bagged you could have just put the brackets on a Dakota rear end. I believe the Durango uses the same rear end and some of them have disc brakes on them. I got my adapters for my front from Rusty Hope or as he is also known as old daddy. I think you can find him here on the H.A.M.B. under old daddy. He also makes a shock relocation bracket to move the upper shock mount to the frame instead of the upper A arm. You might try looking at www.P15-D24.com which is a site for 46/48 Plymouth and Dodges but they welcome anyone with a flat head MoPar and some with SBCs in MoPars through 55, I am a member there also and there is a wealth of knowledge there. Their home page has all sort of vendors and services and suppliers plus all the specs and more.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  23. pro1street

pro1street

Here's some widewhites with spidercaps and some paint and skirts for it.
    [​IMG]

24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Thanks for saving that car from streetrod hell. I had a line on a Wayfarer five years ago, but the seller backed out. You might want to consider painting the fenders or two tone the lower part with a gloss black. It would be TONS easier to maintain, and give it a look like "it is done". Please, no skirts. Trim level looks just right. I really don't think "layin frame" is really that important, really?

25. 50FREAK

50FREAK

THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK!! the car still isnt finished. this isnt the final paint im going back & fourth with black & root beer brown.. but i just wanted to get rid of the pink & red it had alot of chips & scratches & i didnt want primer blocks on the front from frenching the headlights, also cant afford all new window rubber for the final paint rite now.. the ride is pretty good still with the link setup in the back comparable to the stock leafs a lil softer probably.. but slam bags are pretty stiff a firestone would be more squishy but i like the slam bags better & they are made localy.. & thanks pro1street for the photo shop i actualy looked at a green close to that it comes on a newer toyota

26. wayfarer

wayfarer

It's looking good.

27. TiMe_1

TiMe_1
    from clovis ca

Its OK......:D

28. rokcrln

rokcrln

I think you will find if you get the slam bags off the diff and mount them on the links you will get a much better ride. Convoluted bags are not meant for a 1:1 ratio like you have them but more of a 1.5:1 ratio. Now a sleeve bag would be great for on the axel set up. I run slam RE-5,6,7 on almost everything I build and they always ride great as long as they are set up to the correct ratio. Also it is very important to have the right ride height for the bag to get all the comfort out of the ride.

By the way the black looks great!

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

29. phukinartie

phukinartie

Nice cleanup!!! I am glad you are gonna put color on the car though...Primer is just so overdone these days

30. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

The frenched headlights look fantastic on that car!