Register now to get rid of these ads!

Riley Auto

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Ryan, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

OK, fellas... If you have a deal gone bad with Riley Auto please reply to this post with the specifics - amount lost, details of the transaction, etc... Please leave out the emotion. I just want the facts of the situation.

If you have no deal pending with Riley, DO NOT ADD TO THIS THREAD. We don't need the clutter.

2. XM BIRD

XM BIRD

Hi Ryan, we are in Australia. My client has paid me and in turn I paid Eric back on the 25th July USD $910.0 for 4 Wilson Welding backing plates and Shoes complete plus shipping TBA, at that time Eric informed us via email on the 26th quote "The finned backing plates are ready to go. I would like to do two invoices. One for just the parts and another for the shipping." After that we have basically heard nothing we have sent him numerous emails and made countless unanswered calls up till yesterday when finally this all came to a head. We have contacted another supplier who will get back to us next week with availability and shipping time and does not want us to pay until the items are ready to ship. I do not know what we can do from here legally but would join any person that has had the same problems with Eric though usually you’re just making some Lawyer rich from my experience. We have full records and copies of all emails both sent and received and invoices sent by Eric. If you can suggest a supplier for Wilson Welding Brake parts (Bob doesn’t like shipping outside the US) we would be grateful....cheers Frank

3. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Hi Ryan.

Ed writing here from Eds Rod Shop in Germany. In December 2009 I placed an order with Eric for his dry lakes front end. My customer paid me in full in advance. Early January 2010 Eric charged $2443.89 to my credit card. He told me he'd sent the front end out to my shippers in NC. So I informed them to put the package from Riley on a pallet and had it shipped to Germany in Europe. I then paid to have the pallet sent by truck 400 miles to my shop. I'd also paid import duty (about 6%) and sales tax (19%) on the entire lot; on the $2500 plus the shipping. When the pallet arrived at my shop it had a small box on it. In the box were a pair on brake drums. Shipping, transport and tax cost me about $1000 (for a pair of drums).
    So after lots of time Eric admitted that the orders were never sent out and he'd deal with it. After lots of pestering he sent out the I-Beam axle in July. So in total I've received $500 of parts. I'm still waiting on nearly $2000 of parts. Eric has not answered any of my mails since July.
    My customer has now cancelled his order (not surprisingly) and I have had to refund him in full, meaning I'm now about €3500 out of pocket.

Ed

www.edsrodshop.de

4. Horn

Horn

Hi Ryan.
    I'm from Denmark. I ordered brakes, drums, bearing kit and backing plates on the 9th of January this year for more than 1000 USD. My credit card was charged two days after. I have to date not recieved anything. I have 4 mails since April where Eric admits that he has not shipped it, but it would be shipped very soon. I have e-mailed and phoned many many times, but nothing happens.
    Ryan, as you requested, I will leave out emotion....

Flemming

5. Rolf

Rolf

Eric used to be my friend, so I am very hesitant to post this.

I placed a sizable order (almost 3K) He took all the money on my card Aug 19th, and he claimed everything was in stock. He was also going to make sure anything that dropped shipped was taken care of.

I have still not received some parts crucial to my build, and he is not answering repeated phone calls, or e-mails for weeks now.

Like I said, he used to be a friend, so I hope he is OK, but I have a job on hold, and this is business.

6. Zurekbrau

Zurekbrau

Ryan

Here is my story again.

The order was placed just after 7th of Nov 2009 invoice # 3085. Credit Card charged at time of order. The backing plates where back ordered. I did not think that would be a problem because I did not need them till sometime in the spring.

The same story as others multiple calls, emails and PMs. Promise ship dates missed and no parts.

The last thing I heard was they are going to ship July 1, 2010.

I am out $517.50 and I don't have rear backing plates. I also had problems with the front disk brake kit but he resolved it with an upgrade. I do owe him some money on that but I told him I would square with him when I got my rear backing plates.

In August I decided that it was not worth worrying about any more.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Rich

7. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

My deal with Eric "Riley Auto" started in March of this year. I sold a 36 Ford to Fonti in Switzerland. I told Fonti that Eric was a good guy to deal with. After waiting several months still no parts.... I was lucky at the time Eric was an Alliance member and Ryan helped to get a refund. I have heard all the stories about sickness family problems etc. Was told several times that no problem the parts were on the way LOL
    Don't know what has happened with Eric but I do know he won't be around much longer if this is the way he does business. There have been several posts on this problem BUT they have all bee closed.??? Anyway thanks to Ryan for his help. And buyer BEWARE

CHECK THIS OUT !!!!!!!!!!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460421

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514061

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514077

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5725490#post5725490

You guys might want to file a complaint with the BBB here is the link

Denver Better Business Bureau.... http://denver.bbb.org/Consumer-Complaints/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  8. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

OK, I ordered about $1000 worth of stuff from Eric in June. Recieved about half of it after getting the "run around" so to speak. I told him to cancel the remainder of my order, but my CC was billed for the full amount, and I'm still out about $500 worth of items.

So today, 2 months later I phoned him, and it went to his answer machine and hung up. Never got to leave a message. What I expected. A couple of minutes later he phones me back and we talked things over. He had my order right there and listed what I was still missing, and promised delivery around the end of next week. He gave me some reasons for dropping the ball on his orders etc, and said he feels sick about it.

So, we'll see if everything shows up next week. I'll update you.

9. This one dates back to the 1/11/2008 invoice number 1502
    Ordered a complete dry lakes front end but never recieved the Lincoln brake drums
    At the time I was getting lots of stuff shipped to a guy who was loading a container for me to be shipped back to the UK and they could have been missplaced there. But after reading this they were probably never shipped.

10. Berzerk

Berzerk

Placed an order with Eric was charged that day. Two months later got some of the parts, got ahold of Ryan, local buddies who drove over to see him, threatened to fly out and see him myself, never got the rest of the parts. Never got an invoice like I requested, so basically I have a charge that was about $550.00 more than what I was told the parts where going to be when I placed the order but have no proof of what I was quoted or what I ordered because he did not email me the invoice like he said he would.

None of this is by accident, Eric knows exactely what he is doing...

11. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

I'm out also. Ordered quite a few parts and recieved all but two items. Eric did bill the CC immediately but still owes me two parts valued at $628 (top wood kit and front windshield frame for 32 5W). I call and speak with Eric and am told he will ensure the items are sent but they never arrive. The order was placed last winter.

12. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

i hate to do this post! i never wanted to badmouth Eric, cause he has been working with me, in the build of a 32 roadster frame. we collected parts together on the internet, and everything is in eric's shop. we decided to put a brookville body on the frame, and i bought a super grilleshell, and a 25 louver hood. he even got my brand new cyclone quich change!
    it where supposed to be ready for shipping, but now i cant get a hold of him, and all these storys scares the shit out off me!
    we are talking around 45.000 dollars, i saved up for this project for years!
    i still want to think that, my stuff is there, and that he will work with me to get this strait!
    Eric has been a super person to deal with over the years..so i am as mentioned, sad about this situation!
    i will ask someone to help me out, and get ahold of him..maybe a lawyer! i pay what it cost!
    if eric told me that my shit was safe and secure, it would be okay. but he never answer the phone or email anymore!
    thanks
    palle

13. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I've had issuse with him since June, I ordered a Chassis Engineering Front suspension kit from him and when I recieved it I got a "Moore's Ros Garage" kit. I called Eric and he said that I miss understood what his website had and that I needed to pay him extra if I wanted the CE front suspension kit. I had to pay $100 to ship the wrong suspension kit back. I recieved my CE kit and thought I was in the clear until Tuesday when I put the front clip on my car and it sat super high in the front, after doing a ton of research and having to call Eric over and over I finally got a hold of him and low and behold when he ordered my CE kit he didnt order drop spindles which I requested. When I asked Eric what I needed to do inorder to get this problem handled his reply was call CE because they will handle it better and faster than he could. When it is all said and done I had to order a new set of spindles and springs plus pay for shipping to me $40 and to ship the wrong stuff back to CE. Another $40. Until CE recieves the wrong product they have to charge me $420! My case might not be as bad as the others here but I don't think that I should float $500 because of his mistakes.

Sam

14. XM BIRD

XM BIRD

....had a conversation with Eric and he promised to make good on the money we paid him. Today he sent an email saying that he had done just that and that the funds were in Paypal. A few minutes ago the funds appeared in Paypal. He also said that he had problems and that he was working through them. Hope that all you other guys get looked after. Now I am looking for a set of Wilson Finned backing plates as the Company who said they could help have not been able to. Any help is appreciated.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for the update.

I got a response from Eric finally via email. He stated that he would be taking care of a lot of this stuff this week. So, I would appreciate it if you fellas report back like XM Bird did if your obligation gets met.

16. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Quick update, Eric made good on the remainder of my order. I received my brakes, bearings etc as he promised me a week ago when we spoke on the phone. We're all square.

17. Hogdriver

Hogdriver
    from VA

I've never not been able to get Eric without too much hassle on the phone. I received a shipping notice today for something from Riley Automotive. The shipping weight eliminates the chances of a windshield frame or wood kit but then he said last week he was handling both of those items forthrightly and I believe that he will indeed. I hate for all of this to have occurred, yet I still believe Eric to be a stand up guy who just went through a tough time.

18. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

i emailed with Eric this weekend! he told me all my shit was safe, and that was exactly what wanted to hear! Eric has always been super, and i hope he will get back on the track soon!
    -palle

19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Any updates?

20. Zurekbrau

Zurekbrau

No updates, money, or backing plates from Eric yet.

21. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Got a a mail from him saying he was trying to make good all bad orders, but have not received any further information on how, so still waiting.

Ed

22. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

23. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Still waiting, still no answer.

Ed

24. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

My story- I ordered a set of spider caps. Said they were in stock. A couple weeks went by and nothing. Emailed him, said his wife forgot to ship them, said he'd ship the next day. Another week and a half goes by, still nothing. Email him again, finally tells me that he didn't have them in stock to begin with and was waiting for them to come in. Asked him to cancel the order and refund the money. Waited a few days nothing, contacted him again, said they had a family issue, waited again. Finally PMed you and let you know about the situation. Shortly afterwards, I finally did get a refund. So in the end I did get my money back, but the runaround and hassle really wasn't worth it from the start. Not the way to run a business...very reminicent of my dealings with Eelco...won't deal with either place anymore.

25. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Still waiting. No answer to my Email. I can't hold my shipping container any longer so another shipment of parts crosses the pond without Erics parts.

Still $2000 out of pocket. 11 months and counting.

Ed

26. Rolf

Rolf

Eric refunded the money for the missing parts, we are squared up.

I REALLY wish him the best !

Rolf

27. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I really wish he'd square up his debts in the order he made them. You paid him money in August whereas he owes me money since Jan 2010. In other words a whole year now! I must be his longest suffering creditor!

Ed

28. kool32

kool32
    from Kentucky

I am out over a $1000 on discount, shipping and other misc charges.

29. Jack's Garage

Jack's Garage
    from Illinois

After many attempts of trying to contact Riley's, went to his website today and found all of this! Here's my tale of woe: About 10/10/10, ordered a model A frame. Got it in about 3 weeks..NICE! About 10/15/10, ordered $4933. worth of front axle, rear axle, and all suspension parts. Today, 2/17/11, still don't have the rear end ($1905 worth). Lots of phone calls, lots of excuses, no luck. After reporting this to the BBB in Colorado (thanks for the link) today, have ordered what I need from someone else so we can build our hotrod.

30. Zurekbrau

Zurekbrau

I have you beat by two months. I placed my order for rear brakes 11/7/09.