Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 51 Chevy Project, Phase 3

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haney, Nov 4, 2010.

1. haney

haney
    from Knoxville

I'm a Junior in College and I've been working on this car since my Sophomore year of highschool. When we bought it it was mint green and it didn't run. My dad and I worked on it throughout highschool, shot it in Black Primer and put an inline 6 out of a '59 Chevy in it (235 instead of 216, so it'll do highway speeds). After a few years of driving it, the primer started to chalk up and some of the body work started to look pretty shotty, so we decided to fix some of the old bodywork problems, fab some patch panels, take the hood from 2 pieces to 1, shave some of the trim and paint it satin blue. We spent about a year and a half getting it ready and we just finished it a few weeks ago. I just now got the opportunity to add pictures, I'm pretty proud of it, what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. 4doorflathead

4doorflathead
    from Houston

I think it looks pretty damn good man.

What did you use to paint your bumpers. I like the way that looks and my chrome isn't all that shiny anymore. Let me know. Nice car.

3. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

4. lawman

lawman

Very nice ride !!!!! Tom (Tired Old Man)

5. haney

haney
    from Knoxville

@4doorflathead 2 stage base clear, silver purchased from O' Reiley auto parts. I'll try to find the can tomorrow I think I have a little bit left and I can tell you specifically what color and brand it was.

6. captmullette

captmullette

looks good buddy, enjoy.......

7. metalix_421

metalix_421

good lookin car and liking the avatar as well

8. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

I think it looks great....personally, I would lose the Cragars, but thats just me.

9. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Definately looks good........

10. haney

haney
    from Knoxville

I did have red steelies on it for a little while but it didn't look as good, what in your opinion would look better? I'm always interested in opinions.

11. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

12. indyjps

indyjps

I like the Cragars, not traditional but they look good, use up the rubber before you swap them out.

put the window trim back on, Paint the top cream, white or silver - flake it up if youre brave

I like the blue

13. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Looks GREAT....gives me hope for my jalopy 50.

14. I like it a lot, looks really good. I've had chrome reversed rims and baby moons and ET mags on a dark grey '50 chevy and thought that they both looked good. I think the Cragars look good on your car, nice chrome contrast to the dechromed body. Thanks for posting the pics.

15. haney....the car looks awesome......you should be proud.

16. haney

haney
    from Knoxville

I've been thinking about changing the 2 piece windshield over to a 1 piece, some of my friends think it would loose the vintage look but I think it would look good with the 1 piece hood. What do you guys think?

17. satin&flake

satin&flake

nice build you been working on

as for the winshield if you go with the one pc you have to have a 2pc hood so send me your one pc hood and ill send you my 2 pc hood lol keep up the good work

oh and 2 more cents smaller rims and some whitewalls are needed but that me lol

18. ajwhiskey51

ajwhiskey51

I would definatly keep the 2 piece windshield, nice job though.

19. I like the car, but if it was mine I would lose the cragars and add some chrome steelies with Wide whites. As far as the body, Paint the roof Cream of flake it, shave all the trim from the rear window back and maybe add some different tail lights. Regardless, good job on the car.

20. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

Hey, I like the car... the cragers look o.k.too, just add pinner w/w tires,and I agree that a silver flake roof would look bitchen and kinda tie in with the silver grille/bumpers... just my $.02
    Brian.

21. haney

haney
    from Knoxville

So everybody seems to like the idea of silver flaking the top, I may photoshop that up to see what it'd look like. I'm headed down to my dad's today to put a new steering wheel on the car and to put the gravel shields back on the rear fenders.

22. atomickustom

atomickustom

Oh thank god - I was thinking it looked better with the gravel shields but didn't want to say anything because I thought you'd filled the holes!
    As for the one-piece windshield, it's not that big a difference and yours seems to be in good shape. Now, if yours gets cracked or fogged and you were going to replace one side that's a different matter. Meanwhile, spend the money on other things.

23. Racrdad

Racrdad

You should be proud of it. Good job, way to stick with the project!!

24. davidh73750

davidh73750

Great Job on the car. Enjoy it. what silver did you use on the bumpers?

25. Jr.Rodder

Jr.Rodder

Looks good man. I love that car.

26. haney

haney
    from Knoxville

Yeah I'm not sure how well you can tell from the picture, but the glass is starting to separate around the edges, which makes it a little bit hard to see near the center post etc, so some sort of glass replacement is going to go on in the near future, and a single piece is about $200 cheaper in total.

27. haney

haney
    from Knoxville

By popular demand, the silver on the bumpers and trim pieces is...

Limcom
    GM 12 U WA519F
    Galaxy Silver Metalic Limco 2
    1999-2010 Stock # 290

28. haney

haney
    from Knoxville

I took that picture on my way to Senior Prom, now that I've broken up with that girl the fact that she was pushing the car makes it that much more hilarious. As a side note, we thought we were hot stuff rolling into prom in our antique auto, but when we showed up to the hotel that prom was being held in there was an antique chevy convention in town that weekend (unknown to us), so there were literally 20+ beautifully restored 49-54 chevs in the parking lot. Unfortunately we didn't get to be nearly as cool as we thought we were.

29. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I didn't read the whole thread, cause I'm lazy like that, and I'm sure everyones already piped in but here is my $.02

First, the car is looking good. Well done. I like cragars, but not so much on these cars. Stock steel wheels with nice caps or chrome steelies always look good paired with some wide whites for that 50's custom look. If you are more into 60's style, try some Astro Supremes (I know they are kind of the cliche' cool, but I don't care I still like them)

30. 73super

73super

I agree with above.. 'cuz that's how I roll. I just think steelies with wides gives these rides the best possible look.

OK?

Now let's get the damn thing done.. it's time mon'! :cool: