Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Obituary: R.I.P. Chuck Hoffmann, owner of E.T./Fat Jack Robinson Ford 'A' roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PRE48V-8, Nov 18, 2010.

1. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

NOTE: to see B&W image of Chuck & his '28/'29 model 'A' Ford roadster (probably from a late 70's Street Rodder or Rod Action event coverage article of an Early Times club event) refer to H.A.M.B. member modernbeat thread "Anyone have photos of this Early Times Fat Jack '29 roadster?" posted on 06-21-2007 10:56 a.m.).

Obituary: For those of you in the San Diego and LA/OC county areas who've been street rodding since the mid-seventies and were involved in the Prowlers' and Early Times car clubs it is my regret to inform you that Chuck Hoffmann passed on Halloween weekend last month and was laid to rest Nov. 6, 2010. He was originally from Louisiana, moved and grew up in the San Fernando Valley in CA, played baseball in the early 60's for the Houston Colt 45's (now Houston Astros) as a pitcher for a bit, then landed in Los Alamitos, CA (next to Hawaiian Gardens, CA where I grew up and Chuck met my dad, Fat Jack Robinson) and finally moved to and settled in Encinitas, CA. He resided there for over 30 years, ending a career at Upjohn pharmacueticals in the early 80's, partnering in Fat Jack Ent. with his friend Fat Jack Robinson in the hot/street rod building & components business for about 3 years then leaving to build a successfull pool and spa business with his wife Marilynn which they culitivated and ran for 25 years up until recently passing on after a near 2 year fight with cancer. Chuck and Marilynn raised three beatiful, compassionate and wonderfull daughters who loved their father who thankfully was able to see all of them married prior to leaving them forever. I was fortunate to have known "Mr. Chuck" my who life, and as a young man he was a great role model, sometimes confidant and as close as an uncle. It was great to look through old family photo albums at the Hoffmann home after his service and see images of me and my older brother John in Chuck's Los Alamitos home garage while my dad was ascertaining what he could do to help Chuck finish his '32 Ford roadster that wouldn't fit on the frame (it was later parted out after my dad convinced Chuck it would be easier to sell it and by a nice, cherry '28/'29 model 'A' roadster and build it instead of trying to re-do the '32). Their were also some great images from Merced, CA 1978 (an early Gary Meadors produced NSRA event) among other events and excursions Chuck & Marilynn traveled to with their pal Fat Jack after the roadster's 1978 completion (including a trip to the NSRA street rod nat.'s around 1980 I beleive).

I'm glad I visited Chuck for a couple of hours after I'd finished my annual morning spectating at the Wavecrest Woodie show on Moonlight Beach in Encinitas, CA. We talked for a few hours, about the future, his condition, prognosis, etc. while he showed me his 3/4's complete display case project in his garage to house a collection of 1/25 scale funny cars and dragsters from various era's. Those who knew Chuck ("his car buddies" as his wife, daughter's and friends outside of the hobby called us) were aware of his passion of tackling carpentry projects, restoring his antique collectibles (candy & gumball machines, candy store cash registers, Coca Cola bottles & memorabilia, signs and scale model planes, tiffany glass, oak furniture, etc) he and his wife Marilynn tastefully decorated their home with over the years. But I digress. After leaving, I felt I had spoke to a man planning for the future, looking forward to a fullfilling retirement. Less than 5 weeks later, I was reminded what a selfless, giving, proud man was (as well as a great salesman) when my dad called me on Mon. morning, the 1st of Nov. 2010 that Chuch had passed away under hospice care the day before. I just shook my head and thought to myself, "I should have known better". But, I was blinded by his great attitude, vibrant personality and always cheerfull character; "Hey, Gary Baby, how's it going!" was what I experienced the month before and now this. However, he'll continue to be in my thoughts and memories, always. Here's to you Chuck, a passionate hot rodder, honorable man and great friend. May you rest in peace, forever.:)

2. So sorry to hear that. Can remember him and the roadster.

Godspeed

3. lawman

lawman

I remember your Dads parts when they first came out.Boy, they
    were "Killer". Prayers for Chucks family. Tom (Tired Old Man)

4. maniac

maniac

So sorry to hear this, prayers to the family.

That's a great tribute you wrote also.

5. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

I spoke to him about that roadster at the LA Father's Day show a few years ago. He had it parked in the lot and I spotted it immediately. Struck me as a nice guy who enjoyed being a hot-rodder.

6. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

7. I've LOVED that roadster since I first saw it.

Rest in peace....

JH

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  8. Sorry to hear that...Worked with Chuck, Jack, John and Gary in the 80's...Gary you summed it up nicely....