Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to remove window cranks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sgt Rock, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

I have not been able to remove the inside window cranks on my 55 Dodge Coronet. Can anyone tell me the technique and the tools required for doing it?

thanks

2. fitzee

fitzee

If there is no screw to be seen it most likely has a clip on the back side. there is a tool for this but just rap a rag around the handle between the crank and the panel and spin the rag.it should grab the clip and release it.

3. fitzee

fitzee

if it is a clip this is what it looks like.

Attached Files:

4. Sgt Rock

Sgt Rock

!Thanks guysm appreciate it, no screw in view, will try rag.

5. oldolds

oldolds

I think Mopars of that era used a pin.

6. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Holy,! moly! I,ve never heard of that method of removing that #$%^& clip! I like it, now gotta go out to the gearage and try it!

7. F&J

F&J

I was thinking the same thing.... after being in the trade a long time. Never heard of it. duh

8. fitzee

fitzee

9. fitzee

fitzee

You like the rag trick.I should do a tech post on it.lol

10. F&J

F&J

you just did:D

11. carbuilder

carbuilder

The Mopars used a pin. If you look at post 3 the pin is located 90 degrees from where the gm c clip is. I use the gm clip removal tool between the handle & door panel to push the panel back then using a 16 penny nail or smaller grind the point off use that for the punch to drive the pin out unless you have a round punch small enough to go thru the pin hole, quick & easy.

12. Squablow

Squablow

It's NOT a pin or a removable clip, you're going to go nuts trying to remove it if you can't see what the back side looks like.

Here's a picture of one. That square metal tang stays in the handle and is not removable. The handle slides onto a square shank and that clip snaps into a groove. You need to use something to push the clip backward to take the pressure off, then it'll slide right out.

Some guys use a butter knife with the tip bent over, I have been using the pin that keeps my garage door locked shut, that seems to work real well. A screwdriver doesn't work for shit because it needs to be flat against the door panel and the screwdriver will only go in at an angle.

Check out this pic of an actual handle and see what I mean. There is no pin, there is no removable clip.

Attached Files:

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yep..but its traditional:D
    I have the clip removal tool..but for the pin type you just need something slightly thinner then the pin to push it out, not sure on what cars, but there might be only one direction that the pin will push out

14. It has what squablow described. It does not have a GM clip or a pin. Listen only to squablow.

15. there is a guys that made a new tool for this exact purpose, he sells them on ebay, the original version of the dealer tool for this is impossible to find, go on forwardlook.net for more info, I'll see about getting a pic of the loot we happen to have one from that guy. It took day figure this dumb clip out and could rather hard if they have never been off.

here you go
    http://forwardlook.net/forums/forum...light=tool ebay crank&highlightmode=1#M139228

make your own
    http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=199

they guy on ebay was selling them for like 20.00

http://forwardlook.net/forums/forum...hlight=tool ebay crank&highlightmode=1#M50699

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  16. Seems like you just need a piece of stiff metal bent over 90' with a slot for the shaft, you have to raise the spring clip that's part of the handle and they come right off. I've gotten them off with a screwdriver before but only on clunkers with ruined door panels.