Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Ford Unibody LSR Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Mar 23, 2011.

1. At the end of last season the "Yellow Brick" ('57 F-100 E/PP) http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=19397&pictureid=210138 was retired so Charlie Burns could start a new project that will get him into the 200 mph club hopefully but after a season of driving I have been hook. So without Charlie's truck to drive we, Bigredtodd and myself, have been working on a new land speed truck that will run in D/PP, C/PP and eventually A/BMP. Some of you have seen the truck over on another thread (Technical How I lowered a 1962 F-100 with an axle flip (1961-1964 I-Beam) http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531700 but I though because of the title some were missing the truck for what it truely is. So here is a new thread and a new title. Todds work is done for now and I will be brining it down my way for the cage and other items needed to compete. The previous work will remain on the old thread but everything forward will be posted here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Great looking F100. Good luck at B-ville Normal Norman

3. Headed up to Todd's this morning to bring the truck down. I've been informed by my cage builder that because of postponed March Meets and the mud around his shop from the rain that I can't bring him the truck for a couple of weeks. Oh well, that will give me time to do some "tweeking" on the 301ci Y that we will be testing with and also finish up trans and bell housing mods before I take it to him. I may just have a runner when I drop it off. I will have video of the first start of the 301 as well as the 350.
    [​IMG]

The 350ci Y is now down on my run-in stand ready for break-in but the 301 will still be our first engine this year. We want to test handling and just get a feel for the truck before we go "Balls out" for a record. ;)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  4. Cool build!! That Y block looks awesome. :D

5. Thought I'd move a little of the engine work over here from the other thread. ;)

Did a little engine work today, the 301 will be good for testing but I have a 350ci Y going together that will make some real mph.

To start I have a 312 crank that was offset ground to make 3.7" stroke.
    [​IMG]

The block is a B9AE that has been filled half way and bored to 3.875"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Used "NASCAR" rods that are 6.25" and have a big end of 1.967" let me offset grind without welding
    [​IMG]

I have some TRW pistons ment for a 307 Chebbie that will give me a 13.4:1 cr
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Engine turned out nice with piston just a couple thousands out of the hole, should make for a good quench.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  6. This is also moved from the other thread.

Did a few things on the engine this weekend, not much but I did degree the cam and check valve to piston clearance along with the quench area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    quench is about .050 although with the piston rocking I believe it is more like .040 which is what I was shooting for.
    [​IMG]
    with such a big relief in the pistons the valves didn't even come close.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a shot looking down the exhaust with valve fully open (.585") [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also got some required goodies this week, these will be mounted when the cage goes in. [​IMG]

7. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Tim, Will you have this one ready for the May Time Trials at El Mirage ? Will be looking forward to seeing your new effort.

Dave

8. Dave, I don't think it will be ready to run in May but I hope for a pre tech just to make sure that it will pass. I think the lake bed is a "Lake" right now anyway and it dosen't look like it will be dry in May. We'll see.

9. Nice...glad you started a new thread for the balance of the build...

See you & Charlie later on!

10. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Tim, Thanks for the response. Wish you and Todd all the best on your new effort.
    As to the lakebed, you would be surprised how quick it will dry out. We have the same issue at Edwards. With all the lakebed wet it dries out fast with hot weather an of course wind.

Dave

11. Tim, we need to have a discussion about your avatar and vehicle choice! ;)

What are the details on the bottles?

12. Just in case anyone else has concerns about the same subject...here's a PM I received and responded to that seemed worthy to share here. Hope it doesn't reveal the fact that I'm actually a prick...:rolleyes:

From the SCTA rule book section 5.E.4 Production pickup truck:

"Pickups with cab-mounted gas tanks shall have the gas tank removed. The tank shall be relocated to offer no aerodynamic advantage."

Regarding the fuel filler, I submit the following picture of the current E/PP record holder @ El Mirage. No stock fuel filler.
    [​IMG]

They were OK with it at B'ville also:
    [​IMG]

Don't anticipate any problems, but appreciate your concern. The rule book is pretty handy.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Subscribed! can hardly wait to hear that y-block.

14. slepe67

slepe67

mctim, can you adopt me? You gotsome NICE rides!

15. Well, Tim & Charlie just left, so I had one last chance for a little parting shot after completing the first part of the build...
    [​IMG]
    A far cry from where it started when I found the truck in a tomato garden on CL.
    [​IMG]
    On to the cool stuff, heading down south for serious business now!

It's been fun!!! My turn to watch the progress through pictures and put my garage back together...after some bench racing at lunch, it's good bye for now.
    [​IMG]

16. Suggestion: Offset mount the front bumper so it is VERY close to the ground.
    What camshaft are you using in the Y ?

17. ScottV

ScottV

I am a fan !!!

18. Gasr57

Gasr57
    from Ohio

LSR trucks are cool!

19. what's wrong with my avitar? you don't like my go-kart or I need to replace it with the Uni? :rolleyes:

Bottles are 10lb cold fire from Diest, 10 for the driver and 10 for the engine. It's more than the rules call for but better too much than not enough. ;)

$400 each if you want to know.

20. The Brick was one of my favorites. What will become of it?

This truck looks like it is going to be cool too!

21. TinShed

TinShed

Cool build and thanks for the update.

22. Sorry, I meant your sig!

23. Charlie has already pulled the cage out of it and it will eventually go back to the street. He has a very nice 406 clone with a factory Ford six pac and a four speed ready to go into it. ;)

24. Ha Ha! I still think it applies, the Uni is gonna take a bit of HP to get it over 200. ;)

25. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

i love the unibody man...

26. Ironic that we are doing the opposite, great aero, low HP:eek:

27. It's all good, whatever gets you out on the salt. ;) I got goose bumps the first time out there and the feeling just doesn't leave. I chose the pickup because that's what I know, already looking to the future though. C/GRMR :D

28. A little work was done this weekend, the truck now has working brakes and a transmisson. Brakes aren't really needed when going all out but we will want to bring it to a stop eventually. :D
    [​IMG]

The flex lines had to be re-routed because of the frame boxing but this worked out well.
    [​IMG]

Also before I hooked up the T-5 I decided on a different cam, plans to use the "D" motor (301ci) for just testing have changed a little and I wanted to make it more of a "Race" engine than a hopped up street engine. I have changed to high ratio rockers too. I am not thinking of setting a "D" class record but if we can get close to the 158 mph mark I may invest in some compression. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New timing chain was in order too.
    [​IMG]

I had to cut the front motor mount to fit the new modified "scrub" damper, but it worked out good too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally ready to go back in, with a new hyd. clutch.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now just have to make a hole for the shfter, XX always helps for a strait line. ;):D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  29. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Tim, That Uni is going to be one slick low riding racer ! wish you all the best in your new racer.

Dave

30. firingorder1

firingorder1

Triumph TRW in the background?