Register now to get rid of these ads!

Attention PAC NW HOT RODDERS: Seattle needs a Traditional Hot Rod and Custom Show.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Aug 14, 2011.

1. So, basically I think Seattle needs a TRUE HOT ROD AND CUSTOM SHOW. While we have a lot of cool local shows, there isn't one in Seattle specifically that I know of, that draws out what I would consider a traditional crowd. Sure some traditional cars show up to shows like Greenwood and Colby. And other shows in different cities. But what I am talking about is something with cars like The Earl Ford V8 show in Bellevue, But not necessarily all Ford. Stuff like Thee Inland Emperors build. Stuff like you would find at the Hot Rod Revolution and billet proof. Maybe even something similar to Hot Rod O Rama. Just in Seattle.....

So I guess what I am asking is for a little help. I want to hear your ideas. Would you attend a show with cars like this? As a spectator, what do you take into consideration before attending a show? Parking, bathrooms, food, music? As a participant what do you like to have available? Should we start with something small and informal with a year cutoff? What does everyone think of a invitation only event? I want to hear your ideas before we dig into details. We have scouted a few cool locations, and want to see what might be possible to get going next year.

2. hemibird43

hemibird43

i know of all those local car shows that you talk about, if i could suggest a place for a show like you are asking about , think carnation, duval, snohomish, it would be cool to have it in an old town with the right back drop. of the 3 my choice would be snowhomish, since it offers a little for everyone, shopping, resturant's, etc.
    i think the N.W does need more shows, the issue is always the weather. seems i remember Sept. being the best mo.to try. i would love to see Seattle have a show like that. i live in AZ now, and this time of the year is the time when our cars site, just to hot.
    the Seattle Area is one of the best area's to put this together, i think you will get alot response from the car people, in the N.W.
    if you get this going let us know. it would be another reason for me to come up.
    take care and good luck, these things are never easy to get started.

3. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I'll fly from ak for a good show in the seatac area!

4. hemibird43

hemibird43

in the Seatac area, check to see if you could have it in Des Moines. pretty cool in the old town area. (is the old midway drive in movie theater ?)

5. Guys I one of my points is to have this in the Seattle city limits. I know what you are talking about with Snohomish, its a cool town. But I really want to do this in Seattle. I have 3 or 4 ideas about where to have this.

1) is a old hanger on the water. Which would end up a Indoor show.

2) a old military parade grounds. (not sure on the use of this one) But would be outdoors.

3) we're also looking at shutting down a street in a old part of town, but that can be touchy.

4) something I'm keeping hush hush.

6. Square One

Square One

I would drive from PDX to attend a show. I have helped organize a few shows before. People are looking for entertainment besides the cars. Music, food, good clean family environment. But most of all people really like CLEAN restroom facilities. I say go for it!

7. for the morning.

8. X2 on the good, clean restroom deal. Food availability is another top concern, both things are especially important if you want to encourage family type gathering.

As for a possible "indoor" venue, you might want to check with the Seattle City fire marshall. Seattle has a history of ass hats in that job who go overboard on some things. Don't know if you're old enough to remember Greenwood about 10 years ago. The fire marshall wanted to impose indoor car show fuel requirements.........less than 1 gallon, tape over fuel fill, yada yada. Yeah, at an outdoor show. The organizers got him to back off, but it wasn't an easy sell. Not trying to rain on your parade, just a heads up.

One nice venue for parking on the grass was that park just off Aurora on N 128th I think. They have a rec building for toilet facilities, and food venues not a far walk. A decade or so ago there were some shows for a few years there.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  9. Thanks Bob for the heads up. Are you talking about Bitterlake park? To be honest we would really like to do this outside...1) because in the PACNW we all could get outside more and 2) for the reason you stated......though I don't see much difference in 100-200 cars in a hanger vs parking garage....stupid Seattle...

Also as far as food goes....do we need variety or will a hot dog cart suffice?

10. I sent you a pm. Call me if you want.

11. Yeah, that's it.......Bitterlake........I guess I was close with the streets.

As for the food, if you're going for hardcore folk, a dog cart and asphalt parking is fine. If more family, (maybe older too?), then grass parking and more variety..................Espresso included:D............hey, it's Seattle!

12. hammeredcoupe

hammeredcoupe
    from Tacoma,WA

The old Midway drive -in was torn down a few years ago for development.:( Used to have great weekend swap meets there.

13. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Go for it! Never enough car shows, especially good ones.

14. LOWMOTIONCARCLUB

LOWMOTIONCARCLUB
    from auburn, wa

i think georgetown need a good show!!!

15. After loosing hotrodarama I would love to come to a real traditional show down there. Washrooms,food venders and a nice piece of grass to sit on makes a great day to look at some real hotrods and kustoms.

16. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I have been to lowrider shows at Sand point Naval base. Cool spot for a show. All of the above.

17. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Exactly. It sucked pretty bad when that happened but hopefully we can get somethin goin. Maybe have it in august or the start of sept. so its slightly better chance of great weather.LB

18. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Sand Point arial view

Attached Files:

19. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Now that looks kick-ass. Can you use the strip?

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Not sure about the strip, Its a big spot

21. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Was it in a hanger or on the tarmac that you saw the low-rider show?

22. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

It was a large asphalt area with buildings all around it, not open or long enough to be an air strip. I'm sure with a little scouting you could find THE area there for the perfect show. Old buildings, decay, water front view, history, Hot Rods. All you would ever need

23. slammed

slammed

Do NOT use the term 'Car Show' its generic and will have the unwashed masses showing up like its a cruise night/GG event. Lay down the strict criteria now. Good luck Jim!

24. thebucknasty22

thebucknasty22
    from winthrop

i would drive all the way from north central for a good show, what about fort casey i am not shure if it is too out of the way or if they would let it happen but it would be a pretty awesome backdrop and there is plenty of room.

25. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

I'm down that sounds great. Would love to help as much as I can.

26. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Same criteria as hotrod-o-orama was should pretty much take care of that. And if I see one more of those cry baby dolls!

27. LOWMOTIONCARCLUB

LOWMOTIONCARCLUB
    from auburn, wa

isnt that strip all grass that turned into a city park now....i never like shows at sand point cause there is really no where to eat close by except 7-11 across the street...

and all the yuppies dont like the drinking either

28. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

True, but that's why ya bring in ouside vendors

29. hemibird43

hemibird43

what about gas works park or freemont ?

30. Sandpoint was very cool for car shows, When I was into VW's they held a great Vintage meet there ( 80's) .. You could send me a PM, I helped with HRAR in Tacoma in the past.
    It's alot of hard work from seeing/hearing what needed to be done. Permits, Insurance, police.. Maybe Ironbuyer will chime in on this, and enlighten you to what it takes to put a show on. Have Fun !!