Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Im getting Married! Project 46 ford begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well every once in a while you get lucky and things just come together, evidently I got real lucky haha.

This being the HAMB and all Ill get the non car stuff out of the way first ;) I some how ended up finding a girl who loves to travel, create things, 36-39 fords, mild customs and puts up with me on a daily basis. Obviously I must not let this one get away!

Staggeringly she said yes haha :)

So I suppose I need a cool car for the wedding right? So here is were all the car stuff begins.

I have wanted to build a 46-48 ford with two doors in probably any body style for over a decade. Spending tuesday nights watching the tool man build 'the hot rod' and then the 46 vert I was hooked on those fat fenders. Always keeping an eye out for one I never seemed to see one that some one was willing to let go of. Maybe every 5 years one that was just to far gone or just way out of my price range.

With that floating in the back of my head the last decade and a half when I started helping a neighbor down a few blocks get his cherry 39 ford standard v8-60 tudor ready to hit the streets again those curves realy brought everything to the front of my brain.

Sarah<-- the 'lucky' lady that gets to deal with all this car non since for the rest of her life ha, was helping us one afternoon when it was brought up that he was looking to possibly get rid of the 39. With a lust of curvy fords strong in the both of us we tried to make it happen, but the chips were just stacked against us. In retrospect the car just wasn't the one for us.

But with thoughts of having a car that was not only in your engagement photos coming together, in your wedding photos taking you away, but having even the same car bring your kids home from the hospital years later was just to stuck in her head...ok mine to.

So every day I came home to new craigslist leads she'd found and eventually the sickness took over and I was full on looking for something old again.

Trying to find an 'vintage' car dealer in Iowa I had sold a car to about 10 years ago thinking maybe they would have a good inventory is tumbled across a website full of listings for old cars for sale from that type of dealer all across the country.

Some quick pursuing and I found a burgundy 48 long door super deluxe badged coupe. Price was a little on the tall side but it seemed to be a runner with shinny paint that we could just make a little more our own.

It was however in Milwaukee, and the thought of dragging a trailor 9 hours one way to find out if the car was good or not was a little daunting.

But then genius struck! Weren't we headed to Little Rock this next weekend to see the future in laws? And isn't Salina, which is "only" 360 miles out of the way also this weekend?

It was obviously a sign, haha. I figured that with all this chatter about this KKOA show I'd never been to that there was no way the infamous BobK wouldn't be there. The bearded one himself also happens to hail from north of this Milwaukee place. So a quick couple of phone calls and Bob sorts out the car getting looked at for us and we agree to meet in Salina.

Then the bad news. the car. in a word. is crap.

drip rails rotting off the car, inches of bondo on the deck lid, and a floor made of loose road signs. A total wreck that had quickly been sprayed to hide all the flaws and labeled "previously restored"

It was a massive bummer but it was so much better then one found looking at the car after driving all day to look at it. The power of the HAMB used for good once again. It was a good time to talk about how I enjoyed buying cars that had 50 year old paint or no paint at all on them anymore because it couldn't hide anything and you knew up front what you were getting yourself into.

Anyhow we checked out the show for the day, got some tastey eats and spied some rad HAMB rides. Had a pretty good time and even bumped into Moriarty who told of us of another coupe for sale.

Finally in Little Rock a few days in Sarah recalls another 46-8. It was black and didn't run. But wasn't it was less money? A quick look and its a 46 tudor deluxe, v8 3 speed with a clean title.... in Kansas City... scary close to where we stopped to get gas on our way down! How had I not seen it? Had my old car spider senses been clouded by tastey tastey KC BBQ?

A few phone calls and we set up a time to check it out on our way home in a week. I spent hours and hours pouring over the photos posted online looking for flaws and trouble areas to look into further so when I got there i wouldn't be blinded by old car excitement<-- which is not all the different then beer goggles ha.

It had some dings in the fenders, maybe a rusted hood, and some tweaked bumpers.

Im ready.

So after 4 or 5 hours driving we reach KC and the car and unbelievably the car is better then it looked online. In the day in age of "myspace angles" thats nearly unbelievable.

Two hours of crawling over the car and Im sold, the interior is roached, the fenders though better then online have some dents, and there is a small hole under the pedals. But all the glass is good, the paint is just fine, the rest of the floor is great and the frame looks better then the late model pickup most of us drive every day. A perfect start for certain.

We needed to get some things in order first as we didnt expect to find something quite so quick. The owner put it aside for us refusing to take a deposit on the car saying that he'd rather take my word then my money.

On the way home I made so many texts and phone calls securing space and etc that it was not unlike a telethon fund raiser.

Sarah was over the moon excited about her first old car, and the memories we would make with it. It was decided that it was perfect timing as I really needed something to keep my mind off all the stresses of planing a wedding, but at the same time would be contributing an entire car towards it. Sometimes things just line up.

Anyhow a few failed truck and trailer arrangements and Sarah's parents agreed to pick up the car for us on there way to Omaha for her white coat ceremony. Did I mention in all this wordiness that shes in med school to become a Dr. ? I really should go buy a lotto ticket with this sort of luck haha.

So while working on my days clients and constantly checking my phone for update texts, fearing the worse every time. I finally got a picture of the car resting in the shop :) I can take a huge deep sign of relief!

I haven't gotten time to start tearing into it yet as I had to leave straight from work to the aforementioned ceremony in Omaha, so until I can make it back home I thought I'd put this post together to start off what will be my build thread of the 46'. :)

ok, so you deserve some photos at this point for putting up with all the chatter right?

right.

[​IMG]

the car as we found it in KC, looking at the pix the KC ones make it look rougher then in person and the home ones make it look better. so just imagine a good in between ;)

[​IMG]

roasted? just a little but its complete save for a passenger side inside door handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sarah practicing her Vana White pose with the car.

[​IMG]

as easy as 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3!

[​IMG]

3.5!? ha

[​IMG]

that winch sure came in handy, letting the car off the trailer nice and controlled and then mounted in the shop on a steel 6x6 and pulled into its parking space.

[​IMG]

looks good!

[​IMG]

No the car isnt half scale, my friend Matt just happens to be an easy 7 ft tall haha.

So the details, the plan.

I know everyone wants to be cool and run the flathead, been there and done that. I wont deny that its the best sounding motor that I'ver heard but with 85 hp new and nearly 0 mpg it just wasnt going to cut it. I drive around 600 miles a week just going to work and living life. I need more power, better mpg and honestly to be able to find parts to fix it just about any were.

That's going to be a huge theme in the way this car goes together, simple to work on, extremely easy to find parts for, and reliable.

So as we all know plans tend to change quickly so the rough outline for now is a C.E. rear suspension set up with a new rear, a 350/350 power train, disks up front, a dual master under the floor, new wires hoses and lines on everything<-- that should have been a given, and what ever it takes to get it on the road safely. I've got until Oct 20 2012<-- the wedding date, to get it driving and shook down. With a possibly unrealistic goal of getting it done early and driving to NoSurfs HAMB BBQ in April. Im used to having a waaaaay shorter timeline to work with. So with all this extra time Im most definitely going to take my time, and it do it right the first time. Non of that "ill do it like this to get it on the road for now" stuff.

I've built this car at least a hundred times in my head over the years and am very excited to post and share the progress with all of you that have really in the end made it possible.

keep tuned for updates!

** side note: that DOES mean that the very complete v8, the 3 speed manual trans, torque tube, rear axel, rear wish bone, rear brakes, rear spring and rear track bar/arm are for sale, id like to sell it all together as a package. Itd make a perfect drive line for a 30's ford hot rod. pm me for further details and keep an eye on the classifieds for an ad if you can wait :) ** ~side note to the side note: the motor is only missing the starter, it includes the generator and all the brackets as well as the voltage regulator off the firewall. the motor doesn't seem to want to move grabbing the crank pulley by hand trying to turn it but given how extremely rust free and nice this car is I wouldn't be surprised if it was easily freed up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    Outback, sidewayzz69, j-jock and 2 others like this.
  2. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

CONGRATULATIONS ...

On both the 46 and the girl.
    A great woman is a LOT more difficult to find than a decent old car.

:)

Outback likes this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thanx, and I completely agree :)

~sorry the back end shot of the car is rotated, i put it right side up two or three times but still likes to post sideways? lol oh well

4. Our little Tim all growed up!

5. Your a lucky man to find a woman that will put up with this addition we all have fallen into.

6. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

MARRY HER QUICK!!! and big congrats on a VERY cool car!

7. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

8. Biothree

Biothree

TIM, Good post! I just started my new project which is a twin to yours. I bought 3 1946 Fords in OK (one conv, one 4 door and one 2 door) and I bought 2 1946 Fords here in North Texas (two 2 doors).
    After all the building in my brain, I concluded that I wanted a good driving highway car with A/C. Boy, is it hot this year.
    I am using a front clip from a 1999 S10 pickup and the rear leafs from the same S10 pickup to get a parallel leaf suspension. The S10 rear end is too narrow for the '46 frame so I am using a 1995 Impala SS rear end with 2.73 gears. I already had a 350 SBC and a 2004R transmission. The 2004R will give me overdrive without the electronic shift. I have a bundle of parts if you need something. I am going to sell the convertible, I had rather build the 2 door for myself. I have enogh to build another 2 door except for a hood.
    I considered chopping the top but decided it was too much work and time.

9. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Sorry to hear you are using a S10, have you researched any dropped axels that you can bolt together in a day, Just saying, I think in the long run you might not be too happy with the S10

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

haha, right?
    Ill make sure when we eventauly make it over your way with the 46 that we stop and catch up :)

11. I have 13 acres for you to pitch a tent on!

12. Biothree

Biothree

I've had a little experience with the S10's. I also have a 29 roadster with a dropped axle. When I considered that could buy the whole S10 frame with wheels, tires, brakes, power steering, etc for $200, it was an easy decision.

13. Not if you're willing to take a 65 year-old one that needs work! :D

Congrats on both new aquisitions!

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haha, true.

Just got home from work and started tearing into it getting it clean enough to work on. I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for the bullet hole in the riverside roof and trunk lid that this thing would be completely void of rust other than some little surface stuff.

The floor has original paint on it, on BOTH sides :0 and tearing all the old rotted seats apart the seat frame and springs are still shiny grey painted. I am amazed how lucky I got. Could use some straighter bumpers and some gravel pans that don't look like a smashed pop can but other then that lookin good. Oh and a passenger side insidedoor handle.

Very excited to be contributing something worthwhile to the Hamb again :) stay tuned and thanx for all the congrats :)

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

nice. get it done for nosurf's and i will be there to see it in person...

16. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

thats a great way to start life together!!!! congrats

17. Willy301

Willy301

Congrats to you and her, and I just love the bullet hole in the back, you should leave it in there =D

18. This is the last picture of her happy near your car...enjoy.

Attached Files:

• 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      105.3 KB
      Views:
  19. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

She looks great---and so does the car

20. looks like a keeper don't screw it up

21. Nice Tim! The good ones are hard to come by!( girls that is) You've met mine ( at her shop when you guys came through KC.) That looks like a great project for you two.

I just met Jay at the drags last weekend and hope to go to the HAMB BQ in April as well. See you there!

Mike

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome mike, hopefully we both make it!

I made the first couple years and it was a blast :) Your girls shop was pretty cool btw. I had read an old thread about stuff to do in KC and saw it mentioned, we were just wandering around and there it was!

Any how spend a good three hours sweeping, gutting and... well more sweeping the inside of the car.

From what I can tell nothings ever lived in it and it was either not driven alot or who ever owned it realy took good care of it.

if there wasnt what looks to be a bullet hole above the driver~ going out non the less! i really dont think there be any rust at all. While cleaning I found that things i thought were rusted were actualy painted tan with dust on them, a THICK layer of dust on top of very much not rotted old floor insulation~the stuff that looks like tar/roofing paper?~ or in the case of the trunk floor just alot of clay red dust and dirt. So much shiney black paint to be found!

It sorta seems as if after the car got bumped from the back the weather seal on the trunk was funky or something didnt line up, add in maybe living on a dirt road and it makes enough since.

even what I thought was rust under the car, and then thought to be some sort of under-body coating is looking to be a thick layer of clayish mud peeling off reveling, yup, more shiney black.

i feel like if this wasnt my car id be disgusted with the amount of rust that isnt there.

After another eight 5 gallon pales full of dirt and scraps ill hopefully have it nice and clean and post up some after photos.

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Congratulations on both the girl and the new ride. :) Sounds like you are very lucky on both counts.

We are also doing a 46 Tudor. I bought it a couple of years ago, realized I wasn't going to be able to do it justice, so I sold it to my Son, who has the means and desire to do it right. He's like you, wants to be able to jump in it and drive cross country, so it is getting a Chassis Eng. parallel leaf set up out back and MMII setup in front. Engine will be a sbf, with overdrive automatic, probably, and creature comforts like ac.

We will be following your build. Here is the one he is doing.

[​IMG]

Don

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

awesome :) i dig the driving lights, i've always kinda had a thing for those yellow lensed bastards. haha

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

26. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Way to go Tim! A gal that likes old cars! Ya scored bud! I met mine while driving my 70 amx! Been I'n storage now for 16 yrs! The car not the wife! Mn I can't wait for my kids to get old enough to make me some money! Lol
    Congrats man!

27. congrats with your project.
    I also have a '46 tudor and I have much fun building it the way I want it.
    I had to do some welding but not much.
    see my topic

greetings from the netherlands
    Jurgen

28. raidmagic

raidmagic

Awesome!! Even better you have a lady that "gets it". A touch of advise if I may though, go with either a 200R4 or 700R4 and get the overdrive if you are going to be driving the kinds of miles you are thinking.
    Good luck with it.

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

put a good 15 hours in this week after work on the car so far, should have an update post saturday. im going to try and make it a weekly update. figure that should keep me hustling to make progress so my weekly update isnt 'i went and checked, its still there' haha :)

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

woo whoo! the motor is NOWHERE near stuck!

I went in tonight and put the car in neutral and EASILY turned the motor over sticking my hand down and grabing the crank pully. one hand, no effort, VERY smooth. It didnt dawn on me for a couple days that when i tried to do it before it was in gear haha.

If it wasnt missing the belts and starter I'd strap a battery to it and dump some gas down the carb to see if itd fire, other then some wasted points i bet it prolly would :)

thankfully it doesnt have a starter because the car waaaaaaaay has no brakes and you know id want to bomb around the farm yard if i got that flatty to crack off haha.

its still for sale btw ;)

~the motor etc not the whole car of course

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011