Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The life of Losthope's 1954 Ford!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LostHope, Aug 31, 2011.

1. LostHope

LostHope

OK!! I guess i will make this kinda like my build thread thread but of my old photos till now....keep in mind this has taken a long time to get to this point,many delays of life.....HERE WE GO!!!

Here's of the first day i got the fordor,it was a Michigan car ...body was sculpted out of bondo you could bump the car and there would be a ring of rust on the ground..
    [​IMG]
    New side glass for fordor the glass it had was missing or craked.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here's my first purchase on ebay ever, dog dish hubcaps.....
    [​IMG]

my new shine grill and painted splash apron.....
    [​IMG]

Replacement crossmember since the o.g. rotted out...
    [​IMG]

heres a pic of the fordor with my ghetto two tone primer paint job and me thinking i was cool with my new coker whitewall tires and dummy spot lights....Right around this time in 2007 i blew the 239v8 going to billet proof car show.....
    [​IMG]

Time for my version of a two door conversion!!!
    fordor and the tudor replacment...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

disassembling the fordor....
    [​IMG]
    My cousin "GLENDALE" here on the HAMB hard at work.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is what most of the fordor body looked like...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. LostHope

LostHope

fordor body off....
    [​IMG]
    man power to swap bodys....
    [​IMG]

tudor body on....."RUSK" here on the HAMB in the black shirt....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    tudor with the fordor front clip....still need a new front fenders these have bondo...
    [​IMG]

239 i blew up pulled out..
    [​IMG]
    292 put in...but motor was bad so it now has a 272 will have to get a picture of 272....also rewired car at this time.......
    [​IMG]

Going to exhaust shop to get dual exhaust 1 1/2 straight pipes....
    [​IMG]

Going to bare metal.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In primer....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

going in for my first paint job ive ever done...."GLENDALE" mixing paint...
    [​IMG]
    John deere blitz black....
    [​IMG]

then current state of my 54....272 with a wilcap adapter and th350 trans with a gennie floor shifter..and added cherry bombs.....as you can see in picture i have had to fix some things on body and primer some stuff still have more to do,my first paint job didnt come out as good as i hoped and i want to french headlights and tail light bezels so a new paint job is in store.
    [​IMG]

have to mention that before buying this car i didnt have a clue about anything automotive and everything except the exhaust has been done by me and in a driveway or my pop's back 40,cross-member replacement a body swap,three motor's and two tranny swaps but finally driving again after 4 years...want to give a special thanks to my cousin,pops,everyone here,guys on the y-block fourm,54 ford fourm,ford barn,and my friends.........and a number of diffrent girlfriends for putting up with me and my car! HAHA will post more as it progresses.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    voodookustoms likes this.
  3. LostHope

LostHope

The most recent progress on the 54.......
    [​IMG]
    Dropping the 272 in......
    [​IMG]

and the 272 that i swapped a 4bbl intake on with a edelbrock......
    [​IMG]
    theses i recently picked up at the arco arena swap meet here in sacramento..
    [​IMG]

heres some more recent pics......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
    voodookustoms likes this.
  4. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Nice job, looks like you're having plenty of fun with it. Most of my projects don't get past the roll around the yard stage.

5. Ah yes,,the never ending saga's of the poor '54 Ford's,,,I don't know why these cars put up the fight they do but if you are persistent they come together like your car,,,,

looks good! :D HRP

6. good job little buddy!

7. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I love builds like this.....
    No disrespect to the HAMB'ers that have nice shops, but this is how it all started. Using what you got, good hard working friends, and doing it with what you have...
    Brings back many great memories of my early teen days working in the "Buff" like you have.
    And you have done one damn fine job too. The results speak for themselves....Kudo's man...
    Cheers......

8. rld14

rld14

Damn, nice job ya did there! Better not let my 54 Fordor see this thread.. she might get scared.

9. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

10. COOL...

A 'real world' build.
    keep us posted.

11. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

nice job man! keep up the good work.

12. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

This build is why I come to the HAMB. Nice job and look at all you learned and the friends you made. Plus you saved an old car. What more could you want from life.

13. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

looks great,what away to learn cars...talk about trial by fire.

14. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like you're doing a nice job and have taken the car a long way. It says you're planning to re-do the paint, what will the new paint job look like?

15. scarliner

scarliner
    from Macon Mo.

A good plan, hard work, friends,and a little cash, can take you a long way! This is what hot rodding is all about.The car has come a long ways.Great job, never give up on a dream.

16. Looks good. How do you like the edelbrock? I had one on my 292 but recently swapped it for a holley.

17. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback....its been fun,stressful,aggravating,and exciting and a learning experience. I dont know how many times ive told "glendale" im just gonna sell the car,but he will never let me...besides this car ive also built a 65 chevy c10, and in the process of working on a 66 chevy c10 so its hard on the wallet for a average guy like me,but i do what i can.....

i dont really know yet i was going to two-tone paint the top a lace/flake pattern with the flat black originally, but im over the flat black and red rims, i like what "daddy-o diner" and "screenz" have done with thiers and get inspired by their cars.I still need to find different front fenders ,but want something shiny in the future...

Im one of those guys ethier your a edelbrock fan or a holley fan and ive never had luck with a holley and love how i can just bolt a edelbrock on and go,but i dont know how to tune a holley ethier...but the 600cfm on the y-block seems to work pretty good! i probably could have got away with a 500cfm but already had the 600.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  18. bigfive

bigfive
    from south L.A.

nice! htis makes me miss mine!

19. LostHope

LostHope

Sorry for the poor lighting and crappy cell phone pics, but this is for anyone interested in the wilcap adapter install of the y-block to th350.

here is what you get adapter,hub spacer,mopar mini starter,bolt pack,and a flywheel not in the picture...
    [​IMG]

i missed taken a picture of bolting just the adapter to the block but it pretty self explanatory...there's a bolt at each bottom corner of adapter the bolts to engine block,and two off-set bolt/stud's that are at each top corner of adapter...then you put the spacer on the crank hub(very tight fit),then bolt the flywheel on to spacer and hub...
    [​IMG]

this is about the most tricky part about the install! on the top if you look close youll see the off-set bolt/studs that bolt in to the block thur the adapter, if you look close there is black sharpie marks that have to line up so the studs will line up for the bolt holes on the tranny. make sure you use lock-tight and let it setup so they will not move when you try to install the trans.....
    [​IMG]

here's the mopar mini starter bolted up to make sure it was going to clear the block....i didnt know what the "modified" mopar mini starter consisted of so i just ordered it from wilcap(new starter), but all it is is a mopar mini starter with the nose cut off..you can order the adapter without the starter , the instructions give you the starter part number and shows you how to cut the nose off...So if you want to save some money you can buy a refurbished one on ebay and do the modification for a 1/3rd of what wilcap charges you....keeping in mind wilcaps is a new starter.
    [​IMG]

you can take you trans to a machine shop and have them clearance the trans case but im cheap and used a grinder with a cut off wheel so it looks like crap...this needs to be done so when the starter gear engages it wont ram into the case. in the instructions there is details on where to clearance it......
    [​IMG]

now you just screw in four studs into the adapter that are used to bolt the trans on......now your done with adapter and bolt the trans on like any other trans install....

my opinion of the wilcap adapter is that it is a quality part,and very user friendly,shipped fast,and worth the money for something that is already engineered and ready to go. and will use them again if i ever have to adapt another trans to a engine in the future.

last for guys with a 54 ford after the th350(6inch tail shaft) is installed the trans mount will land right smack dab in the middle of the stock trans cross member you only need to drill two new holes and bolt it together and have a new driveline made with the chevy slip yoke..
    [​IMG]

it is a very tight fit but dont have to cut the floor hump if your not using a floor shifter and hook up a coloumn shift i used a gennie floor shifter so i cut the hump out to make install easier and for shifter mount on top of tranny,i will have to raise my trans hump a little.

once again sorry for the crappy pics....

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  20. Good work! Thanks for the thread.

I have the same adapter for my dads Yblock project, I'm betting I'll be "clearancing" my dads the same way. Hit it with some matching rattle can black and only the show ponys will care.

21. you should sell it!just kidding buddy.i still haven't ridden in it with the new trans!

22. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I have found myself in a similar situation with mine, its all a learning experience. Keep up the great work!

23. LostHope

LostHope

since my car was originally a fordor car and the tudor was gutted i swapped everything over,dash,front and back seats,package tray,headliner bows, all fit in the new tudor.....but i then had a bench seat up front instead of the split seat that came in tudor cars....

here's the front and back seat covered by some blankets i got at a swap meet.....
    [​IMG]

heres the front bench seat.....
    [​IMG]

right here on the back of the bench seats on each side is a tab where there is a screw,by taking that screw out on both sides allows you to rock the top half of the seat forward to get into the backseats....
    [​IMG]

started making some temp. door panels until i can afford a interior. i still need to make the holes for the arm rests and paint the garnish mouldings that will overlap and hold the top edge of the panel...
    [​IMG]

this is the gennie shifter installed it looks like its hitting the dash but is about 1/4 of a inch away, there is still more adjustment room if i want it farther back....and need to remove the three on the tree shift handle still....
    [​IMG]

24. how difficult was it mating the th350 to the yblock? what did you do for a mount?

25. LostHope

LostHope

on the first page i did a walk thur on the trans adapter... and for a mount i just used the stock th350 rubber mount and drilled two new holes in the stock 54 ford trans crossmember and bolted it in...i think it went super easy ,or as easy as a trans install is ,just a couple extra steps..

26. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I'm curious why you ditched the 3 on the tree and went with an auto.

27. LostHope

LostHope

well when i put the replacement 292 into the car and found out it was junk i pulled it back out with the trans attached and sold them thinking i wouldnt use it since i was fed up and was just going to 350/350 the car.....so about a year or so later my current girlfriend,and "glendale",and some friends found and bought the 272 with a ford-o-matic for my birthday(good gift), but didnt want to deal with finding(which i tried) and using all the special linkage that mounts to intake and firewall with three diffrent springs that have to be adjusted right and running the stock two bbl. carb to make the throttle pressure rod and lever work for the ford-o-matic to make it shift right....so out came that trans, so i wanted a newer trans and figured if the 272 y-block takes a crap,i just pull it out drop a 350 in bolt it up to the already installed th350 and weld in motor mounts and i have a drive train i can buy parts for almost anywhere for cheap and a poor guy like me.....i wish i still had my three-on-tree i miss it alot,,,,but was kinda thinking long term. im glad i still have a y-block cuz i love them....but like 350 also plus i didnt want to mess with a 700r4 or any trans with a T.V. cable,and i got a good deal from "Model-A-Citizen" here on the hamb for a really nice th350 with some upgrades and extra stuff with it..

28. LostHope

LostHope

It's been awhile since i have posted on this, been busy with life and working around the house and on the 66 c10 truck,but did do a little work on the 54...since my first paint job was a learning experience and i just wanted to get the car in all one color and it didnt turn out to great with zebra stripes and when you run your hand across the paint it feels like brail , from shitty paint gun, I decided to take a panel at a time and bodywork each one,i started with the roof and hammered out some small dents and sanded and put it in primer:
    [​IMG]
    here you can see the zebra stripes ,i started to take the headlights down to bare metal to french them:
    [​IMG]
    since the headlight buckets are pot-metal and im not a great welder, i heard of some other 54 ford guys using 3m panel adhesive to bond the rings on, i looked into it but decided id try jb weld to bond the rings on, but i didnt want them to be just bonded on so i made two L-brackets for each headlight ring and jb welded and screwed them to the rings:
    [​IMG]
    i got the front fenders down to metal here you can see that these fenders are from the four door and the lower half's are filled with bondo:
    [​IMG]
    Then with the help of the girlfriend holding the rings i smeared jb weld on the edge of the rings and screwed the rings and L-brackets to the fenders:
    [​IMG]
    I then put a thin layer of bondo-glass on, then after sanding it smooth put a layer of bondo body filler on and sanded that down and primed them:
    [​IMG]

And thats as far as ive got so far....I will see how the headlights hold up, i need two front fenders that are not rusted out and filled with bondo and have two extra headlight rings so this will be a trial run to see if they last without cracking..

29. That blitz black will work on that car if you get a better gun and try it again. Reduce it with Acetone and then adjust the gun and test it on some card board or something before painting the car. Also, if you back off about 6-8 inches and fog the last coat you won't get the striping you had before.

Good job so far man...

30. It's looking good....any updates?