Register now to get rid of these ads!

1946 ford rear tube shock upper mount question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

[​IMG]

not the best photo to use but its what ive got, you can see the shock mounts in the middle ish of the photo. they have a bung were the mounting bolt that goes into the upper 'eye' of the tube shock screws into, and then it steps down on either side and has two holes for bolts.

there is also a small tab that drops under that goes under the cross member with a sloted hole in it.

the massively lacking directions tell me that these mount about 6 or so inches from the frame rails on the front side of the cross member. and just like the rest of the kit, it appears that ill have to drill all the holes to bolt it on.

the problem im running into here is how exactly do they expect me to screw the nut onto the back side of bolt thats sticking into a boxed crossmember?

it looks like its possible that the lower tab bolt will go threw the "hat brim"/ edge of the cross member so i could bolt that one on.

do i drill the bottom hole for the tab, put the nut and bolt on it, slide it all closer to the crossmember and put the other 4 bolts into the crossmember with no nuts on the back? figureing that the bolted on lower tab wont let the bracket come forward so the other 4 bolts shouldnt get pulled forward and will just be for sheer impact resistance?

that sounds not at all right to me.

or am i supposed to crawl under this car and take a hole saw to the cross member behind the shock mounting stud so i could maybe squeeze a finger and a nut in and onto the end of the bolt? this doesnt sound right either as youd never be able to tighten down the nut and youd most likely just drop the nut anyways. my fingers about about 3/4 to an inch wide each, theres no way this is going to work

it also seems like bad form to pop such a big hole into the crossmember with out doing anything to make up for it.

anyone have any ideas or thoughts? backs a little sore to be laying on a concrete floor under the car tonight so i thought id post it up.

thanx in advance.

timm

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

seriously? ugh.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

sigh, well with no welder it looks like i get to round the amount of holes i need to drill up to an even 30 :(

any recomendation on the size of hole i need to make? id assume it needs to go under the center of the mount so i can reach all 4 bolts, my hand is 4 1/2-5 inches wide so putting a hole in the cross member big enough to fit my hand in to work on it isnt an option. so im guessing i need wrench and a finger or two room?

realy super bummed about this.

4. fordor41

fordor41

Looks like C.E. parts. I saw the hole saw bit in my instructions and decided to weld the nut on the back of the mount. been like that for 15 yrs.

5. fordor41

fordor41

They look like C.E. parts. I saw the "drill with a hole saw" in my instructions and decided to weld the nut to the back of the shock mount. Been like that for 15 yrs.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Its a TCI kit, were did you weld a nut? To the crossmember?

7. fordor41

fordor41

The C.E. kit is different. A stud goes thru the upper shock mount with a nut on the back. If I remember right they wanted the mount welded to the crossmember and a hole cut thru the member to attach the nut to the stud. I welded the stud bolt to the back of the mount, welded the mount to the crossmember, and screwed the shock stud into the mount.

8. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Did 46 Fords still run the lever arm type shocks ? My 48 Coupe had tube shocks all around and so I was able to use the existing shock studs already in the rear cross member. I remember though that with the CE kit there was a mount included and it was a weld-on part.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup still levers, any chance I could get you to post pix of your front and rear shock mounts though? Figure if I could get away finding some stock bits to do the job it might be easier than this aftermarket bs

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Anyone else have any experience with this? Prolly going to try my hand and hole sawing an access hole. Still trying to figure a size out though. Seems it needs to be big enough to get a wrench end and nut threw as well as a finger or so to get the nut onto the bolt. The mount is about 4-5 inches wide between the bracket bolt holes. I'll probably make it as big as I feel comfortable making it and hope I don't drop a nut :S

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

just a bump for photos of stock tubes shock mount photos :)