Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Southern State Street Rodder's URAIDLA ROD RUN 2011

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spoggie, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Yesterday's annual big go was, as usual, a grand, good thing , with fine blue sky and plenty of ways to make a fine day of it.
    A few here & there cruised the oval- sideplatesix's Holden sounded awesome. Lots of variety, lots of post-48's, & HAMB- friendly rods thinner than usual.

Andy & the Rockits & the blue Comets rocked the well- packed floor- cool list Andy, & the Comets played a fine list too, including some good Stones covers. Lots of fine vendors. Kick- butt Model show by Michelle & Jason & co.
    Kids had a lil' art show which was, of ,course, way good. Adults had an art show too. Thanks to John from Shannons Insurance for supporting the art show so generously. The T shirts sold out & posters did well too.

Lotsa folks having a great ol' day in so many ways. Thanks Rob Riggs & the Southern State Street Rodders. Bitchin'.

Attached Files:

2. ...

Attached Files:

3. ...

Attached Files:

4. I have more show shots that I may post later. Please feel free to add pics if you were there..

This year's T-shirt & poster designs by myself;

Attached Files:

5. striper

striper

Each to their own...and thanks for posting the pics....but that yellow '35. Some guys must have buttons for eyes.

6. Thanks Striper. And yeh, but hey, I have fond memories of that car cruisin' my high school in '75.. visually pretty much as is, bar hard top, paint & cosmetic details. I like it, with it's pretty chromed HR out front. It's been on the street in this channeled form for 40+ years!

Road Knights & Monarchs did not attend, and they have the HAMB candy. So there was a street- roddy bias this year. Not that there's anything wrong with that..;)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  7. striper

striper

Fond childhood memories are no substitute for taste.

I have some good memories of my ol' nana but you really don't want to be looking at pics of her on here.

Maybe that's just a time in hot rodding I just don't get. It was also a time in architecture, fashion and design generally that doesn't seem to improve with time.

8. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

I hear ya!

9. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Any other pics of this one?

[​IMG]

10. Here y'are Flipper..

Attached Files:

11. Kinda harsh. The car's record speaks for itself. Practical body, low weight, overhead, Holden suspension- it obviously works well- it was state of the art when this thing was built. Take it anywhere.

As for looks, variety is spicy. I dig funky aussie. All this car needs is a new air cleaner, some 'Greek'- type striping, and she's cool. For me anyway. And the owner obviously loves the car.

12. deadbeat

deadbeat

Thanks Spoogie for the pics.It reminds me why I actually moved to NZ in the first place.Had some kiwi mates over there for your show,they said it was a good day out.They sent me a 20 min video & there was some cool stuff there,,cheers

13. Thanks bloke. Her's a few more. I may throw more here later.

Attached Files:

14. striper

striper

That's better Spoggie.
    I like the way the spring perches on that have been adapted for a transverse spring. Simple and clever.

I know what you mean about funky Aussie. Sometimes I'll look at random shots of rods and straight away I can pick the Aussie ones. Can't say I like it but it's definitely an identifiable style.

15. Only had a quick glance but yeah, it's looks like a pretty neat set-up. All the braketry etc. is heavy & strong. Check out the shock mounts. Dunno what mill is in it, looks like a Pommy Ford grille- pretty, but small-ish opening possibly re: thermal efficiency. All in all a sweet looking car.

16. A few more..

Attached Files:

17. fat141

fat141

Thank you for posting, really good. Any pics of the model show?
    Rod

18. Wasn't always like that , was the first Rod i had a ride in as a kid

maybe with the revival in nostalgia it may get back to what it looked like in the earlier days

just for the record John Lee fitted that front end , thinking it was an update

Attached Files:

19. Here is a couple of us about to cruise up and a couple from the show, sorry i dont have more but kept forgetting to pull the camera out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. striper

striper

That car you used as an example is a classic example of an Aussie rod that is identifiable at a glance. The nerf bars and cycle guards and usually a later (spring in front) axle to get the front down is what I'm talking about. I'm not saying it's all bad, just easy to pick.

21. striper

striper

...oh yeah. I left the most obvious thing off the list...severe chanelling

22. Neat artwork Spoggie. :cool:

CM

23. it's not an example it's the same car

i remember it as it was, that black & white pic was taken up my mums drive early 70's

Attached Files:

24. Was that roadster black with a flathead engine in the late 60's???

It looks familiar. . . . from an old aussie mag feature?? :confused:

Oops. Am I hijacking this thread? Sorry.

CM

25. Hey CM, It's OK with me..:)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  26. ...

Attached Files:

27. Missed the show again this year, so thanks for the pics.

28. Hi just rang John / was white then a guy named Hunt owned it and was

dark green metallic with a flathead .

John painted marigold metal flake and fitted the Y block

29. deadbeat

deadbeat

Im diggin the "bobcat",great to see it out an about

30. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Was the Card Brothers 36 Roadster at the event?