Register now to get rid of these ads!

39/40 merc chop part 1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Ron, Aug 7, 2005.

1. I posted about a month ago that I had got one of these cars and wanted todo a car close to the Mataranga car. Well after cleaning the car out welding in support and doing lots of research including talking Bill Hines and looking at the car I thought I was ready for maybe a HAMB chop next week. Well Golden Boy who does not post here much came over and wanted to see the car. He says why wait lets do it now and see what happens. He says what could go wrong, it can always be a convertable if we screw up. Take a look and tell me what you all think. Thanks to all who posted info about these cars you all were part of what I used to help figure out how to chop it.

Attached Files:

2. pics

Attached Files:

3. pics 2

Attached Files:

4. pic 3

Attached Files:

5. I can always depend on you DesertDroog to put a smile on my face. Besides its Golden Boys fault for wanting to start this crazy ride. The Duece is fine and was driven today to get real Mexican food. more updates to come. Glad to hear that your new seat is going to fit in your 54 DesertDroog.

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thats cool Ron.

How much are you going to take out of that top?

7. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Cool ! Look forward to see more progress.

8. You go'na have any parts left over? A friend of mine needs a front bumper and may need both bumpers. Everything here in arkansaw is not useable.

9. Metalshapes I took 5 1/2 out of the front and 7" in the rear.

Phatboy I have not decided on what todo with the bumpers as of yet. They are cracked in the middle but could easily be repaired at a good chrome shop. I will let you know when I make up my mind.

10. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I was trying to get some time to make a post like this on mine. Have a lot of
    shots during my chop, but time is NEVER on my side, so I'm enjoying this
    post. Just would like some more bigger scaled pics and some more info/ideas
    about the chopjob. Must also be hard to find the best proportions with the
    car totally out of stance ? As said, I'm following and enjoying your work ! :)

11. jerry

jerry

DAMN!!!

Chopping it up already! And without telling anybody!

Looking good Ron.

jerry

12. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I'm not sure I like the idea of you having power tools.

13. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

J.B.,that's what I say !

I see so many chop progress reports in the worldwide net and mags and mostly the cars are not lowered.I always ask myself why didn't they lower the car first and get that bitchin' stance ? Is it more comfortable to work on when the car stands higher or what ???
    I always thought you simply can't get the proportions right if the car isn't lowered.That's the first thing I'd do.For me it's only natural to do it this way.The "rest" will be just the icing on the cake...

14. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Think about this way, if you screw up the top chop and have to throw the car away, you haven't lost all your time any money on the suspension.

15. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Ha ha...yeah right... :D
    Otherwise there's always this option:

Fake Convert...
    [​IMG]

16. Rusty

Rusty

looking good. keep up the great work.

17. J.B that is killer looking and I could live with that if I screw up the roof. I should have some more photos this coming week of the front post area and then onto the back area.

18. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Looking forward to your posting !

19. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Yes,it is and that's simply because of THE stance...

20. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Ok, just for fun, I took the sideglass/and trim from a photo of the original Matranga car and dropped it into the side opening of your creation.

It looks like you are actually pretty darn close - It required no fiddling to match the two shapes together.

Also gave it a quick lowering to get a better idea of the profile.

Now the question is...are you going to section above the windshield as on the original?

Attached Files:

21. WOW Cleatus that's it!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the photo shop pics. I have been using all the Mataranga photos I can get my hands on and the two part series in Street Rodder mag as a guide. I also used the post that Gooch did awhile ago on the merc that his friend did. Between all of these I was able to see about what was needed to be done. The reason I have not lowered it yet is I can't decide on what todo for suspension, and lack of funds at the moment. Any one have any ideas for suspension? My goal is for the car to be a serious road car for long trips. My deuce is for the hot rodding and the merc needs to be the cadallic of the family. Thanks again for all of your replys, and more to come soon.

I have not decided on the windshield part as of yet. By the way Cleatus I love your car and the work you did for your first chop. This is my first chop by myself and hope its half as good as your car. Thanks again.

22. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

Ron,what you've done so far looks GREAT and I never did get to that point before so I basically should shut up here.I only encourage you to raise the front window just like Sam did on the Matranga car.It looks a lot more balanced and actually is a must for the perfect look,IMHO.
    I fully understand what you say regarding lowering and funds is what makes a project go and besides,it shows it sure is possible to get the right profile nonetheless.I only can pray for keeping the suspension traditional and maybe use some small bags like J.B. did,which call for more work though, to get the best of both worlds.You definitely are on the right track.Great work !

Cleatus : Cool !

23. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

way cool!!! love those 40 fords and mercs

24. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Hey Ron, for now just take all the springs out except the main leaf. It will fall to the ground, and if you need to you can always block it up a little with a 2x4 or two. At least it will look like it has cool suspension until you decide what to do.

25. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I love chopped top post, it would be even better with a tech commentary to go with the pictures. I like to see the different ways its done and why. Looks good.

26. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

You have no choice here... It MUST go up ! :D

27. Janne

Janne