Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering 54 Buick... Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SuRfAcE_RuSt, Jan 5, 2012.

1. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Gotta 54 Buick I wanna Lower about 2-3 inches. Planned on cutting the coil springs but the rear coils are tampered. Any suggestions? Dont feel like shoving out $$$ for lowering springs.

2. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Heat them with a torch

3. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

i got a 52, i cut front and the rears, if you cut the top of the rears, the cup they sit in is very large and it will still work fine...

4. Caddaolds

Caddaolds

If you heat the coils and compress them. You can cool them with old motor oil to re temper. That way you keep the top retaining plate in place.

5. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I put Jamco springs on mine. I know you said you don't want to shell out, but the rear springs are pig-tailed at both ends, and you need to keep the pig tails so the retainer plate will still do it's job.

I was VERY happy with them.

You could probably cut your front springs to save some money, but I don't know what you'd do for the rears.

Heating them and letting them collapse was a bad idea in the '50s, and it hasn't improved with age.

-Brad

6. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

I really dont want to heat em cuz the car is gonna ride like shit.

How much do the Jamco springs run?

If cutting the tops is my only option, I'll probably just leave it at stock height.

Thanks for the replies

7. Framewelder

Framewelder

Buy a set of drop rear coils for a 67-72 Chevy pick-up. They will bolt right in!!

8. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

I have a set of tapered air bags if your interested in those. You just need to make some plates and top hats. I ran them on my 52 Buick for long time before I switch to double convulted..Worked great!!

Attached Files:

9. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

heat them or cut them.

10. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

79 el camino rear coils will bolt I'm and give you about 4 inch drop

11. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

X2 on the 79 elcamino springs, but I heard it was only 2-3 inches.

12. boogiel

boogiel

What about interference with the torque tube? Ive lowered several cars in the past with open drive shafts and leaf springs by installing three inch lowering blocks Sometimes it throws the drive shaft forward and on some cars, causes the driveshaft to "bottom out" into the rear of the tranny. Anybody experience anything like this on an old Buick with rear coils?

13. anythinggm

anythinggm
    from Oregon

Not sure on a 54, but my 52 did not have a slip joint..Its was flange mounted right to the end of the trans..I did'nt have any problems on mine..lowered it all the way till the torque tube rested on the floorboards (bagged)..Being that its a coil spring car the rear end basically floated..The only thing u might have to do is make your panhard rod adjustable. cause when lowered it will push the rear end over to one side..