Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH WEEK: Steering Wheel Plastic Surgery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NTAPHSE, Mar 8, 2012.

1. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Here's how I took a Kaiser steering wheel and customized it to better fit my needs and taste. This is adapted from my build thread with added detail for Tech Week. This steering wheel went into my '51 Kaiser kustom built using a '95 Caprice as a donor vehicle.

This was my thought process:

Stock '51 Kaiser steering wheel? Ugly, it's out.

[​IMG]

I liked the center bar of the '55 Kaiser steering wheel but the ring was 17" across and about 3/4" thick so it was like driving a schoolbus. It also took up valuable space in a chopped car. It would either be touching my lap or sticking up into the windshield.

[​IMG]

I wanted something smaller and sportier so I decided to turn the '55 wheel into a 15" diameter with a 1" thickness. I also knew that the steering wheel would be painted to match the car, and living in Arizona a steel steering wheel would get way too hot to touch so I had to come up with a way to insulate the steering wheel outer ring.

First thing to do was take the splined center part out of the Caprice wheel and turn it down on the lathe, then drill out the splines on the Kaiser wheel and TIG the new splines in so it would bolt up to the GM steering column. So I hacked up the Caprice steering wheel.

[​IMG]

For the steering wheel ring I used 3/4" solid (only thing available at the time) round bar and rolled it to the correct diameter. Then I heated up 3/4" PVC (.77" ID) under the heater on our vacuum-forming table until it was nice and flexible. I lubed the steel ring with WD-40 and it slipped right on and cooled into the new shape pretty quickly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rolled 3/4" round bar took on a coil spring shape from rolling it, which was good for sliding the PVC on, but not so good for a steering wheel. With the use of ratchet straps and clamps I got it pretty flat and welded the piss out of it. You can't weld too hot on 3/4" solid steel.

[​IMG]

Next I ground away the plastic from the center of the '55 wheel. It was very dry and brittle (seemed like Bakelite) and sanded away quickly. This was done to expose the steel structure so I could weld it to the new ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also need to fix some cracks in the original plastic so I beveled everything out and roughed it up with 36 grit before filling with kitty hair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gene Winfield sprayed the steering wheel to match the car. He told me he pondered how he would paint it for weeks and came up with this plan.

In primer.

[​IMG]

In the booth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all that I'm here to say that I want to build another one, only better, and here's why. First, I want to use tube instead of solid round bar. Solid was all I could get my hands on at the time, but it makes for a darn heavy steering wheel that causes the steering column to bounce around since all that weight is out at the end.

The second improvement I would like to make is to use epoxy or resin to bond the PVC outer skin to the steel ring. I used WD-40 to slide the PVC on, but glue would do the same thing until it cures, then it would ensure that the two are bonded. I can feel a slight "pop" sometimes with the wheel in my hand. I had to have Gene repaint the steering wheel due to flaws in the clear coat, and when he shipped it back to me it cracked on either side where the center bar meets the ring. I think these two revisions would have kept it from cracking. So, this steering wheel will likely become wall art for the garage when I make a new one. Now let's see your kustom steering wheels!

2. Very cool tech!

3. Rem

Rem

I like that. I made a steering wheel for a car many years ago - not something I kept photos of, nor would put them up for discussion (or ridicule) either :)

4. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

5. great job . it came out cool. put this one in the book.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. Very cool tech! Congrats on having your car in The Rodder's Journal too!

7. Have you thought about just drilling out holes 3/8 dia or so around the outer diameter to eliminate 50% of the weight.

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

'Gene Winfield sprayed the steering wheel'.....like it's an everyday occurrence. Lucky! Haha! Looks great.

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

It does look great, thanks for sharing! Very cool.

10. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

That's a good thought, I should have done that. :)

11. That's not Gene. The guy painting is wearing a mask. :)
    Great tech and great pictures. Thanks for taking the time to post. I've been searching the HAMB (and the net) for stuff like this as I want to swap out the wheel in my Merc. Getting tired of the little guy (in my Avatar on the left) I have a pile of old steering wheels. I think I'll dig through them tomorrow and see what I can come up with.
    Thanks for the Inspiration.

12. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

Very Cool. Didn't even think about the weight issue. Instead of the WD40 as a lube to slide any type sleeving on, try good old hair spray....goes on slick to lubricate and then it turns tacky when dry to hold....unlike adhesive it can be manipulated later if necessary without tearing things up.