Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects She's home! My Tudor is in the Garage! Thank-You Updates!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Went to get my 1930 Model A Tudor today, with the help of BloodyKnuckles. Got her home and gave her a long-overdue sponge bath!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I tucked her in for a long nap.....or at least until I can get time to wheel her out and clean the interior.

[​IMG]

I've built this car at least 6 times in my head, even before I had the title!

Plans now are to leave the car just as it is, with the sole hot-rod additions of a dropped axle, juice brakes, '35 wires, and Firestone Classics in 5.00 and 7.00, and drive the mess out of it. After the '46 gets going, I'll make a proper hot rod out of it, taking the time to collect the right parts.

I must thank several really good friends for their encouragement and support.

Russell (ssrs71), thanks for thinking of me when it came time to help Mr. J's Widow out. This one call made it possible for my dreams of owning a proper hot rod to come true.

Ron (BloodyKnuckles), Dustin (sinticket), Jeffrey (JeffreyJames), Scott (scootermcrad), Chris (shoo-shoo)......Thanks for enduring my calls, emails, texts, and general pestering. I've got a ton to learn on early Fords and y'all are my mentors! Oh, and thanks for the build fodder!

Rich (retroridesbyrich), thanks for the contribution and encouragement.

The one person I have neglected to thank up to now is Mrs. J! No, that's not her HAMB screen name....it's the sweetest lady who is going through a really tough time after losing the love of her life to cancer last November. Mrs. J's husband had ran a rod shop for over 40 years...all he had ever done! She has been around cars since they met and has met so many of the "hot rod royalty" that we speak of here and in general. She's got pics and stories to truly last a lifetime! Every time I go to see her I hear of another "chance encounter" or another "he used to" story and I am amazed. I just wish I had had the chance to meet him! (Obviously, I am not letting the cat out of the bag yet, out of respect and courtesy to Mr. and Mrs. J, both on my own accord and at the request of Russell (ssrs71). )

Mr. J lost his 6-year war on cancer, after being given only 6 months to get his affairs in order. This battle left Mrs. J with a pile of medical bills and the funeral expenses to take care of. Her plan of attack was to slowly prioritize the cars on site, take care of the customer's cars the same way Mr. J would have, set aside the cars of sentimental value, and sell the rest by appointment only.....no auction to come in and strip her of what was their life together. Auctions are a gamble at best for the seller, often times getting pennies for a dollar's worth of merchandise. Her chosen method of liquidation is solely on her own terms. She has a core group of family and friends loyal to her that are advising her of the value or going rates (low to high), but she alone is setting the selling price, take it or leave it! I have passed on trying to get a deal on several desirable items, only to tell her of the value of what she has and not to let them go too cheaply.

For instance, being the SBC guy I am, I spotted some Winters-stamped aluminum intakes that I might be interested in. After running the numbers, they were factory hi-po 327 units, two being 66-67 327/350 Nova and one a 62 327/340 big car piece. By my research, each are valued as high as $300 to the "right person". So, rather than score one for $75-100, I informed her of their value and walked away. I'm not tooting my own horn, I'm just looking out for a wonderful lady that deserves to be treated fairly. I may miss out on a deal or two (hundred) but I can sleep soundly at night knowing that she's not getting raked over the coals on my watch. Yes I have gotten some better-then-fair deals, but I'm as much helping her as I am stockpiling deals for future use.

Some things she knows about! She's been around it "for a while" and knows what the popular stuff is worth. She has ran more than one bottom dweller off her property! And to that I say GOOD FOR HER!

So with that, I say "THANKS MRS. J!"

When the time is right, with Mrs. J's blessing, I'm sure there will be a reveal of the little treasures available. But until then, "Mrs. J, we've got your back!" I'm just glad I've made a new friend, and sorry I didn't have a chance to make another!

Soon, I'll start a REAL build thread, but until then.....enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

3. Looks like it's in good hands Brett. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

4. absolutely awesome, Brett!!! Looks like more than a solid start!!!

5. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

6. skoh73

skoh73

7. sololobo

sololobo

Great sedan, congrats bro! Really a nice car to start a build. Good Luck ~sololobo~

8. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Really nice looking car. You might wanna just keep it as-is with the dropped axle, brakes and tires/wheels after you get it going. Either way, hope you enjoy it and keep us posted on the progress.

9. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

10. A Rodder

A Rodder

Yup, it is super awesome.

Looking forward to what you might do to it. I agree with above, keep it simple, maybe throw some cool parts at the banger!

11. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Thats a really solid A 2 dr sedan. Congrats!

12. 1930 A

1930 A

great looking car. grill shell looks like it might be a 31 with the painted inserts.

13. Very happy for you my man!

BloodyKnuckles

14. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

awesome Brett. can't wait to see what you turn this into!

16. Pete

Pete

Looks like a nice solid start....unlike my 40

17. Congratulations Brett, Looks like a nice solid Model A.

You have surrounded yourself with a bunch of good friends with a lot of knowledge that can be a big help in transforming the A into your dream. HRP

18. Congrats Brett!!!

19. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

nice looks like a real solid car. cant wait to watch it all come together

20. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Nice, and good plan!!

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Very nice !!
    Good for you..
    Cheers...............

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like a great start and I like your plans for it.

23. Looks like lots of good tin there, lets see a blown flattie AV8, what a way to go.....

24. Thanks everyone! As you can probably guess, I'm as giddy as a school girl just to own this little gem!

It's going to take a little while to settle down and start work on her. First real order of business is to clean 'er out! There's muddobbers' nests and spider webs all over.....AND those seats are outtahere! I have a set of OT buckets that I may try to strip and re-shape for the front, and I may try to find a 2nd row minivan seat for the back. I've got some trick stuff to use as floorboard material front and back (Thanks, stealthcruiser!)

I've got to go to Concord to pick up a couple "deals I couldn't pass up"! "Traded/trading" for a set of '35 Ford wire wheels (Thanks JeffreyJames!) and a '33 front axle (Thanks shoo-shoo!) I've been offered a deal on a ML 3-speed overdrive tranny (thanks sinticket) if I go open drive. I'm still on the lookout for a juice-brake setup and a set of blackwall Firestones in 5.00 and 7.00. PM me if you run across either!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  25. To the top for thank-you's!

26. Brett,

There was a set of juice brakes at Brad's swap- I didn't get the guy's info, but maybe Frank did? Also, I have a Mallory distributor (the older, 2 piece large cap) that I was going tto putt gotether for the '28 Chevrolet... until Herb (ebtm3) traded me something more applicable :)- Let me know if you're interested!

27. Congrats Brett! I am sure you are beyond excited, I know I would be!

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome Brett!!!! Very excited to see you kick this thing in the pants and get her on the road!!! Plans thus far are awesome and it's gonna look incredible.

D-Russ, no she doesn't. I bought it all and traded it for flathead stuff hahaha!!!

29. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

It looks awesome Brett! I know you will do that car right.