Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 chevy truck 3100 Front suspension HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deadradio, Jun 25, 2012.

1. deadradio

deadradio

okay picked up a pretty amazing 1947 5 window(technically 7 windows i guess if you include split in front) i would like to put in better suspension so i can drive this around town. Front what im seeing most people swap out to mustang 2 front clip but in looking through speeway/fatman and others i would have to spend about 2k and up. i dont want to do the s10 swap in cali i would probably have title issues and i want to keep it as a 1947 truck, what are some alternative less costly options to get better suspension, steering etc? I have a 350 im throwing in there from a donor el camino and a 350 tranny so i will have that to deal with next but figured front suspension would be best place to start. thanks,

Jeremi

2. henry29

henry29

I have the original springs and axle in mine, and have had others with the original suspension.
    I don't see any reason to change it myself, have you driven it?

3. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=132

Hang out here for a while and they will take you under their wing and soon you will be flying. There are many different front suspensions to use. Elpolacko is the Hamb version of a fountain of knowledge with suspension.

4. I used the stock stuff in mine too. Daily driver 18 years

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Go find a Pinto or MustangII, cut the front crossmember and suspension out of it, clean it up, trim the crossmember and weld it into your frame. That's the way we have done it for about thirty years now. It doesn't have to be expensive, and that truck is about the easiest vehicle to do this with.

6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Sid sells dropped axles, dropped springs are available from several sources, disc brake kits are available from every supplier, even power steerings kits, there are many options besides the M11 stuff. What do you want the finished truck to do. It is a straight axle
    truck that will ride like one, not like a new truck, but that is part of the charm. Jim

7. I couldn't bring myself to do the M ll or subframe or spend the bucks for that matter. I went with 49-54 chev passenger or 53-62 vette front suspension. fit real nice and dropped the front 8 inches. some day I'll do a tech on low buck (free for me) swap

Attached Files:

8. deadradio

deadradio

thanks for all the info, i found this guy selling mustang clip and rear end, anyone see any reason why i shouldnt buy these? I want to make sure it will be fairly painless,

2000 Mustang GT REAR end assembly

2000 Mustang GT FRONT end assembly

SLOTTED DISCS

brake discs)

no corrosion

NOT FROM A SALVAGE or WRECKED MUSTANG

READY TO BE INSTALLED and USED

RED EIBACH LOWERING 1.5" SPRINGS FRONT and BACK

Comes with upper and lower trailing arms,shocks,Struts, rotors,calipers and

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

It's all gonna be way to narrow for that truck!!!

10. deadradio

deadradio

the rear end appears to be about 60 inches which is what my current is, so you think the front clip wont work because it will be to narrow? I guess i need to find the specs for the gt front end vs what i have to see, thought i found the gem.

11. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

That swap will be far from painless..... That is not mustang II stuff at all . You are asking for trouble with that idea.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

No! Not Fox body stuff... That's all Mcphearson strut, and other than bolting it into another Fox bodied car, it's worthless. You need '74-80 Pinto or MustangII stuff or any of the Merc and Lincoln Derivitives. Most South Western wrecking yards still have some of them kicking around, and over here in Phoenix I have been paying 150.00 - 250.00 for the whole thing, crossmember and all. You would find 60" a bit wide for the rear axle width on that too. About 58" is golden with most traditional hot rod 8" rear wheels.

13. deadradio

deadradio

and to add to the mix i picked up a pretty awesome set of all black wheels 6 lug but the are 17x9 so if i want to go disc in rear most kits are 5.5 bolts so i would have to get and adapter which is at least 2.5 inches from what i can find. So i would need to probably find a rear end smaller even that 58 to use these wheels.

14. rsg2506

rsg2506

I ran a solid dropped axle for a few years and then went with the mustang II setup. I like the ride and handling of mustang II better. Either is a good choice.

[​IMG]

15. UPSrodder

UPSrodder

I used the mustang II under mine. like the ride and handling also, but it is narrow, Sub it out with a G body or Drop Axle if you like the traditional method.. but you can get a great price on MII from different Alliance vendors on here. I got mine from Vaphead drop shipped from manufacturer for free at about $1200. Check out the build pictures on my album. its not that hard.

16. Swifster

Swifster

Many places that sell MII kits will also sell just the crossmember. Get the crossmember that will fit your truck and then get some salvage control arm and the rest of the suspension.