Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958 Corvette (I'm the new tire fryer)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Aug 21, 2017.

1. I'll be picking up this '58 Vette in a couple days and will have better pictures then.

It belonged to my friend of 25 years that passed away on my birthday 2 years ago.
    He started building it as a show car in 1973 when he was 19 years old.
    It was finished about '75 and a show winner into the 80's.
    IMG_5617.jpg

The paint is 40+ years old but still looks decent.
    After checking the VIN, determined it's serial #00026.
    Built on the 1st day of production October 14th 1957.
    Five more were built after it that day.
    IMG_5615.jpg

When his widow decided to let it go, she was looking for the "right person" to enjoy it as the hot rod it is and not "ruin it by restoring". I told her she can come over for a ride anytime. She was kind enough to let me make a down payment on it, then gave me the time I needed to sell my 61 Impala and get the funds together. She was having a hard time signing the contract as she loved that car.

My Impala sold a couple days ago to a cool guy from California that's going to restore.
    01 AWAYDSC00096 zzz.jpg

I didn't check the stamp code yet but the Vette engine is a great running built 1967 solid lifter 327 with double hump heads and polished Vette aluminum valve covers. Vintage dual plane aluminum intake and a 750 Holly double pumper. Trans is a Super T-10 with a Hurst shifter and T-handle. Original factory 4:11 posi. Old school chrome traction bars. This car got driven plenty.
    DSC09820.JPG

I'll be changing a few things like putting on some early style Torque Thrust wheels with blackwall tires instead of the wires. The engine compartment will loose the anodized Aeroquip stuff and get an air cleaner that's old school. Also put on some black plug wires, distributor cap and maybe some stock ignition shielding. Start looking for some 3:55 or 3:70 gears.

DSC09816.JPG

DSC08150.JPG

Comes with the stock '58 washboard hood which probably will go back on.
    DSC09809.JPG

Not crazy about the flames but will leave them for now.
    DSC09817.JPG

DSC09811.JPG

Has 1970's diamond tuck seats and door panels that are high quality and nice shape.
    The hardtop and soft top are both included.
    IMG_5639.jpg

Already found a year of manufacture license plate and the perfect frame in my junk.
    DSC00193.JPG

DSC09812 plate.JPG

Criticism, comments and ideas are welcome.
    DSC09819.JPG

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  2. belair

belair

cool. love the 61

els and loudbang like this.
  3. I love it! Do the changes you mentioned ( including hood) just to bring it back into focus and drive the wheels off of it!

Cosmo49, OahuEli, 3340 and 4 others like this.

4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

LowKat, els and loudbang like this.
  5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - your friend must smiling down on you & Vette

6. slowmotion

slowmotion

I like your plan too. '58s are unique as you well know. Gonna be spot-on when you do your thing to it.

OahuEli, LowKat, els and 1 other person like this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

Sweet, like your plan. Drive it!

8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would consider painting the coves silver, I think that black and silver makes a great combination.

billsat, LowKat, tractorguy and 3 others like this.
  9. There's a lot to like about the Vette. Particularly the sentimental attachemnt. I would also find it very hard to sell the vert.!!!

10. jimdillon

jimdillon

Mark not sure how large you are but the one thing I really appreciate is the smaller steering wheels. I had Chuck Pelton make me a couple that look stock IMO but give you extra room not only for your waistline (if such is an issue) but also to give your left leg a bit more room to work the clutch. I am 6'1" and my knees can get in the way of the stock wheel and I like kicking the clutch on occasion when I need an attitude adjustment.

The rest of your plan sounds good. Some guys don't like the 58 hood and trunk spears but I kind of like them. I'd vote for the hood change as well.

Baron, OahuEli, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  11. els

els

Jim, good call on the steering wheel. I also put a FAT GUY steering wheel on my 62.

12. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

One FINE Vette but that 61 was also FINE! As Vettes go 58 is my favorite your upgrades sound spot on can't wait to see the after pictures! Joe

loudbang and LowKat like this.
  13. els

els

GREAT FIND, if you want to sell your wire wheels, let me know. GREAT CAR.

loudbang and LowKat like this.
  14. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Nice vette. I tried out a 1962 back in the 60's and couldn't fit. Too damn tall. Wouldn't work as a daily. Didn't find one I could live with until the C3 came out in 68. Enjoy your new ride.

15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I maybe would have bought a 58 fuelie, but one of the used car salesmen went to lunch and had the keys in his pocket. I had intentions of buying a new 63 Impala SS and I did, from a different dealer.

els, loudbang and LowKat like this.
  16. hounddogjake

hounddogjake

My first Corvette was a 1958 totally stock right down to the hubcaps and mint condition purchased from the Mayor of a small town close to home. It was his daughters graduation present and she left for college and didn't want it any longer. Had to scrape together all of $1200.00 to make the deal ! Year was 1965.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

17. Nice car! Personally, I do not care for the ghost flames. I do have another suggestion for your consideration for the cove area. Back in the early '60's, I had a friend with a similar black Vette. He painted the cove with a color fade, which was quite possible with lacquer. On his car, the leading edge of the cove was a red-bronze color. The rear tip of the cove was yellow-gold. The rest of the cove was a continual fade from front to back of the cove. It really stood out as compared to the normal silver cove.

els and loudbang like this.
  18. Nice car and I like the new wheel choice

els, OahuEli, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  19. Very nice. You did great. The few changes you mentioned, and it's good to go. Like your friend did, drive the snot out of it.

20. When I loose the flames it will stay all black.
    I like silver coves but 2-tone says classic car to me.
    Black says hot rod.

I already did the classic Vette and NCRS stuff 30 years ago.
    My goal now is to piss off those guys.

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

22. For you 61 Impala lovers it was a good car BUT....
    ... let's say you have a choice between two women for a date.

One is big and has a large back seat (kids).
    Other is petite, 800+ lbs lighter with no kids.

One has a drop top on command.
    Other has no top (or a choice of two on command).

One is slow and lazy so takes a while to get rev'd up.
    Other has several speeds and winds up tight quickly in any of them.

One needs some make-up, a facelift and a new dress.
    Other is good to go with a bath and a rub down.

One you'd date because you feel sorry for her and can make her better.
    Other is your dream girl from 25 years ago.

I choose "Other"

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Spoggie, els, LowKat and 1 other person like this.
  24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Also, you can paint the coves Silver, White, or Red, but use the original 58 Corvette color.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, LowKat and loudbang like this.
  25. LowKat, that '61 droptop was a great car, but you made a greater deal getting the '58 Vette. I agree with you on painting the coves black. Also agree with your changes for the hood, wheels, tires, and under the hood. I'm sure it's of low importance, but if you have even the slightest interest of having a radio, you'll need that ignition cover and some good suppression wires. The main thing I'd say is to use the 3.70 gears. They'll be a good match for that engine. They'll be quite streetable yet give you the go when you step on the loud pedal. Best Wishes!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Spoggie, els, oldsjoe and 3 others like this.
  26. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Sorry about your buddy,his car could not have landed in a better garage.

27. choptop40

choptop40

Best year IMO

els and LowKat like this.
  28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

VERY COOL

29. metalman

metalman

Other then the hood that car is a 70's throwback for sure. I'd even thought the flames were done then, that style of ghost flame was real popular then.
    Back in the 70's I spent some seat time in a black with silver coves 58. It was a cool car but I hated it, wasn't fun to drive. Maybe it was a combination of 60 series bias ply on 8" rims in the front (bitch to steer but it was the 70's) and being 6'4" took all the fun out it.
    I still wouldn't mind giving a C1 another try though!